Dodge Challenger Forum banner

401 - 412 of 412 Posts

·
Now that was dumb!
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
Marvin Gaye. The best imho from Motown. Wonderful songwriter, lyricist, and performer. The best Motown had to offer, again in my humble opinion. Miss his talent and voice still to this day.

He passed way to soon. He still had much to offer us. His words still ring true today unfortunately.

·
Now that was dumb!
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #403 (Edited)
Now...a little Motown education. The Musicians you are about to see and listen to were the backbone of Motown. You will see in this tribute on the Bass the great Bob Babbitt who was also a member of the Funk Brothers along with the greatest Bass Player ever James Jamerson. Jamerson is the reason Bass is played the way it is today. Want a sample? Just listen to the intro of Bernadette by the Four Tops. These guys were the ones who laid down every track of every Motown hit ever recorded. Most times they never heard the performer. They were Detroit area Jazz Musicians who were recruited by Barry Gordy to be the spine of Motown Music. They were known as the Funk Brothers who got no credit on the label until Marvin Gayes' Whats' Goin On" album was pressed. These Gentlemen performed a concert (the ones that were still left) in the early nineties to finally get the respect and admiration they most deservedly received.

Yes...these men were on ALL Motown Hits. They wrote and performed the tracks fo ALL Motown stars. They played on more #1 Hits then Elvis, The Beatles, and the Rolling Stones combined. And yes.....the British and the Beatles and the Stones were listening to Motown!
You all will remember that the Stones and Beatles copied their music, and covered many Motown Hits.

I give you the Funk Brothers in their first and last concert as recognized. They should have received credit many years earlier. Motown, in essence, started around 1959. Please listen to the entire 7 minutes and learn about these gentlemen who made history. You'll enjoy it greatly.

·
What's Old is New Again!
34,452 Posts
Time for some religion....

·
What's Old is New Again!
34,452 Posts
Heard this today on Sixties on 6.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
25,722 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
I just found this thread. Our local radio station went off the air at sundown, then we had to wait for the sun to completely set to get one of three stations, KOMA out of Oklahoma City, KTKT out of Tucson or XERF out of Del Rio with this DJ called The Wolfman, usually KOMA.

Right now I'm listening to this on satellite...

401 - 412 of 412 Posts