Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
12,713 Posts
I mentioned to Vicki the other day that April is right around the corner.
That's when we usually put ours back on full insurance. We haven't had much snow here either.
Between salt on the roads in town and the neighboring farms hauling :poop: crap :poop: to spread on the fields every day, I wouldn't even consider taking them out of the driveway this time of year. Too much work keeping them spotlessly clean.
I'm not complaining though. Been this way since I got mine in 2010.........just a waiting game.
The only downside is, during the first winter stored I did all the mods I wanted to do.....
So now I have nothing to do but wait for spring till I can break out the claybar, polisher and wax.

· Registered
12,713 Posts
@jklotz10 and @Derecho when you say that you reduced the type of insurance you have on your cars during storage, what are you taking off. If tragedy were to befall you for any reason what wouldn't be covered? I've contemplated having just fire and theft on mine when stored, but I can't recall what I lose if something happened. I decided to keep full coverage on mine.
We took collision off only along with associated coverage that goes along with being covered for road operation. We're still covered for theft, fire, tornado, etc. and stupidity if I do something brainless and damage mine (if I damage Vicki's insurance won't matter because I won't be alive to see an insurance claim processed).

· Registered
12,713 Posts
dumb question, since you remove collision in winter does theft cover collision if the thief crashes your car? my insurance is reasonable enough that i just leave it on fully insured even when stored.
That's a good question...one I never asked.
We live out in the stix and have not had any instances of crime in my 32 years here. I know that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.
Any thief would have to get into the house to get the key FOB in order to steal a car. That in itself would be hazardous to the intruders health if I am home - and since I'm retired it's probably the case during the day and at night.

· Registered
12,713 Posts
Today I went to my storage building to do the monthly start-up. Lifted up the cover to hear the thunder :cool:.
IMG 2248
I don't do start-ups anymore when it is in storage because I have heard that the 5.7 factory cam and lifters fail with extended idling. Not sure if that is born in fact or rumor but I don't want to take the chance.
I will go out every now and then, put the pedal to the metal and crank it a few cycles just to oil things up.
The car will not start with the pedal mashed to the floor but it gets oil in the rotating mass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts