Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I’m a newbie and have a 2012 RT Classic 5.7, Automatic (A5). I want a little more sound and I’m reading the for as for a muffler delete or resonator delete. I read about the “drone effect” with the 5.7 A5’s. I’m not looking for something real load just some rumble and still my tunes. I know it’s been talked about but I’m curious to hear from you 5.7 A5 owners. I also am going to reach out to Blastin Bob about his products, and look into a local muffler place. Thanks for all your advice helping this newbie out.
Michrick
2012 RT Classic
Header Orange
Syracuse NY

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello

I’m a newbie and have a 2012 RT Classic 5.7, Automatic (A5). I want a little more sound and I’m reading the for as for a muffler delete or resonator delete. I read about the “drone effect” with the 5.7 A5’s. I’m not looking for something real load just some rumble and still my tunes. I know it’s been talked about but I’m curious to hear from you 5.7 A5 owners. I also am going to reach out to Blastin Bob about his products, and look into a local muffler place. Thanks for all your advice helping this newbie out.
Michrick
2012 RT Classic
Header Orange
Syracuse NY
I have a 2009 R/T and had the same dilema. I cut off the rear resonators and kept the flowmaster mufflers that came with the car and the sound difference is night and day. You'd swear you were driving an SRT! I noticed more horsepower and no loss in torque like some have said here. THE ENGINE SIMPLY WOKE UP!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2009 R/T and had the same dilema. I cut off the rear resonators and kept the flowmaster mufflers that came with the car and the sound difference is night and day. You'd swear you were driving an SRT! I noticed more horsepower and no loss in torque like some have said here. THE ENGINE SIMPLY WOKE UP!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rob I see a lot of people do that but I. New to the Challenger and do you know what people mean by “drone” thanks for responding to my post. Michrick

·
Premium Member
2015 sxt/rt 5.7 with scat pack kits 1 &2
2,333 Posts
drone is like your wife constantly nagging in your ear .when you gonna fix this or that, ect. ;) just not so annoying

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Drone is not independent from a louder sounding muffler. If you want a louder sound, you will get some more drone.
I have some drone and I kinda like it as I like the growl of a v8.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I’m just trying to get a little rumble out of it, more than just the stock. I’ve thought about keeping the resonators and deleting the muffler, then I thought what if I just change out the mid muffler with a better sounding muffler.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Yeah I’m just trying to get a little rumble out of it, more than just the stock. I’ve thought about keeping the resonators and deleting the muffler, then I thought what if I just change out the mid muffler with a better sounding muffler.
That’s what I would do. Don’t waste your money on a Corsa exhaust. I put one on a 12 Challenger and it was VERY quiet.

Reactions: boyohboy

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I have Corsa Extreme, they definitely have a great sound but not cheap. My car has a tune in it with a Diablo tuner. Without the tune no drone, with the tune installed it drones but all the drone comes with the MDS activated. I finally turned off the MDS with my tuner last year.

Horsepower? It’s not going to hurt it but I wouldn’t expect a big bump, more of a placebo affect, it sounds faster.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I have Corsa Extreme, they definitely have a great sound but not cheap. My car has a tune in it with a Diablo tuner. Without the tune no drone, with the tune installed it drones but all the drone comes with the MDS activated. I finally turned off the MDS with my tuner last year.

Horsepower? It’s not going to hurt it but I wouldn’t expect a big bump, more of a placebo affect, it sounds faster.
What year Challenger?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I did the Blasting Bob's at first. Sounded great. Yes there was drone between 1800-2000 RPMs, but it could be avoided mostly by manual shifting. Just stay out of that RPM range. The resonators job is to cancel that frequency. You can possibly eliminate or improve it using quarter wave tubes, or what I always wanted to try...mass dampeners. Attach a weight to the exhaust somewhere to kill the vibration. Experimentation required.

Reactions: boyohboy

·
Registered
89 Posts
There are a few YouTube videos of Challengers with the muffler delete/keeping the resonators, and the cars backfired quite noticeably. Go with the resonator delete and purchase a nice Flowmaster muffler. I have a trick where I can cancel the drone at 1800 rpm no problemo. Just let off the accellerator a bit at 1750 rpm and the car will shift rather quietly to the next gear.Then immediately give her more gas and its a really nice solution to the drone sound.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Muffler delete!!!!! Resonator delete,( See drone) Don't waste your money on "THE exhaust system" just so you can say I have one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts