Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Wow, nice write-up! I am not that brave enough to go and take off the steering wheel for this upgrade. Although I want it bad.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
I just did my wifes new 2010 RT Classic all it needed was the wiring harness and for a dealer to install the sales code. No need to change anything else. Her car came with the cheaper radio which I replace with Mygig. The buttons work with any Dodge factory radio that comes in the Challenger.

I just did my wifes new 2010 RT Classic all it needed was the wiring harness and for a dealer to install the sales code. No need to change anything else. Her car came with the cheaper radio which I replace with Mygig. The buttons work with any Dodge factory radio that comes in the Challenger.
How were you able to tell that you only needed the wiring harness and to input in the code?
So you knew it the steering wheel had the SCM already? How do you tell?

I would like to know if you know how much would they (Dodge) charge to do this for me? I have little experience in this. I see that it looks cool on your car. I could see this as a possible MOD for the interior. Please advise....

DESI

Great write up!

so the R/Ts don't need a new SCM assembly?

can i add the evic to my car,i have a 2010 rt clasic with the buttons on the steering wheel but only get temp,trip and mileage in window,thanks
I was reading up on this also but decided against the buttons as I like the look of the clean spokes better IMO.

I think there is a member on here who had done the install, but the cost is up there...and there is the problem of finding a dealer that has a competent service dept.

If you are interested in monitoring vitals, you can pick up a CANBUS gauge for about $300 and do a pillar or console mount. It monitors all the parameters reported to the ECM (oil press, tire press, ECT, IAT, etc).

here is how i added the remote steering wheel switches.

here are the switches needed:

for the '05-'06 silver switches, part #UZ56XZAAC and #UZ57XZAAC
for the '07-'09 black switches, part #UZ561ZAAD and #UZ571ZAAD

i used the silver switches because i thought they match better. here is a picture of the new switches and the stock steering wheel plugs. you don't need to change you steering wheel to add the switches. you only need the switches.

here is the pigtail wire harness that connects the switches to the clockspring.

harness part #68039387AA

as you can see the new harness compared to the old harness without the switches. the new harness plugs into the stock clockspring. all clocksprings are the same so no need to change that.

here is the interface module needed. part number #68034920AA
sometimes this is called the steering control module (SCM) whatever the name is, here is what it looks like.

now that you have all of the hardware, i will try to explain how to install it correctly. first, start by disconnecting the negative battery post. then after a few minutes, you can start to disassemble the steering wheel. start by fully extent out the adjustable steering column. then remove the airbag. there are two 10mm bolts holding it in. disconnect the horn and airbag wires and move the airbag off to the side somewhere. disconnect the stock wire harness from the clockspring pigtail and cruise stalk and toss it. the steering wheel spoke plugs can now be removed. i just used a small flat blade screwdriver to get them to pop out.

your steering wheel shoud look like this now.

next, remove the steering wheel retaining bolt and slide the wheel off the shaft.

now comes the scary part. that black disk with the pigtail sticking out out it is the clockspring. it is very easy to damage and very costly to replace. there are three torx screws holding it in. back out the screws one at a time. back them out enough to keep the clockspring from spinning. you do not want it to unwind of get out of center. the screws will stay in the lower half and stick out of the upper half to keep it from spinning. once the three screws are out enough to hold the halfs, carefully pull the clockspring straight out. look at this picture. you can see what i mean about the three screws sticking out to keep it from spinning and why you need to pull it straight out as not to bend any of the prongs.

next, back out the set screw through the access hole on the steering column.

then lift the whole SCCM off the shaft.

then bring the SCCM unit to a table to disassemble.

here is the disassembled unit. and the new SCM.

swap out the SCM with the new one and reassemble the SCCM unit.

now, you can reinstall the SCCM on the steering column and tighten the one setscrew. now, very carefully push the clockspring back and make sure the prongs are all straight beforehand. push it in until it bottoms out on the SCCM unit. tighted the three torx screws. align the spline on the steering wheel hub to the shaft and install the retaining bolt to 52 ft lbs.

to be continued...

Will the steering wheel controls work with an aftermarket stereo? If not I don't plan on buying the mod.

Depends if the aftermarket stereo has a Sterring Wheel Control input, plus you'll have to get an aftermarket SWC Interface. I installed an aftermarket Nav system in my wife's car (not a Challenger) and the PAC Audio SWI-PS (for the aftermarket stereo brand) and it all works just fine.

Will send you a PM for an alternative.

Best,
Bob

Ok, I just left the dealership with some shiny buttons that dont work. I checked with the parts dept via my VIN and they confirmed that I have the correct SCM according to your post. I already purchased the buttons and harness from another forum member. I thought that I had really lucked out not needing the $275 SCM.

They claim that they installed and activated per your instructions. The buttons light up, but do not respond. They confirmed that a signal is being sent via Witech, but the head unit doesnt respond. I dont know if it matters, but I have a Mygig in my SE. I am super frustrated and bummed out... I payed $130 to have them installed/activated. They said that any additional work on this they will do for free. They even put out a email to Chrysler trying to troubleshoot the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I'm gonna take the leap here shortly and I'll post up how it goes. I have an upgraded nav mygig in my M10, and really want this mod bad. I'm also istalling the lockpick with ipod interface, so I want the wheel ctrls so I can operate the ipod/iphone from the steering wheel.

Well, I'm gonna take the leap here shortly and I'll post up how it goes. I have an upgraded nav mygig in my M10, and really want this mod bad. I'm also istalling the lockpick with ipod interface, so I want the wheel ctrls so I can operate the ipod/iphone from the steering wheel.
Be sure to post up pictures and let us know how it goes.
Good Luck!

As of Tuesday the 28th I now have working and operational steering wheel ctrls!!!!

I did the install of the switches and harness on Saturday, but could not get to the dealership to get them activated till yesterday. No glitches whatsover!

If anyone wants to see pics, just let me know. I also changed out the steering wheel badge and added a chry550 lockpick to utilize the steeering wheel ctrls to work my iphone!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.