Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally find the car I want. The problem is that it has an open recall on the Timing chain (2011, Auto RT Classic). I feel weird buying a car knowing that it would need to go in the shop for a bit right away! Has anyone here had the repair done and if so, how long did it take? Would you pass on the car due to this? Just looking for some thoughts... :4-dontknow:

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,279 Posts
You didn't indicate if was dealer or private party offering the sale.
Just tell them you'd be more interested in making a serious offer if the recall work was already completed.....that would be my thought anyway. Or else I'd try to get the price down for the inconvienience of having to deal with the recall repair yourself!!

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
So I finally find the car I want. The problem is that it has an open recall on the Timing chain (2011, Auto RT Classic). I feel weird buying a car knowing that it would need to go in the shop for a bit right away! Has anyone here had the repair done and if so, how long did it take? Would you pass on the car due to this? Just looking for some thoughts... :4-dontknow:

Thanks!
go for it... it's a small bump in the road. :smileup:

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You didn't indicate if was dealer or private party offering the sale.
Just tell them you'd be more interested in making a serious offer if the recall work was already completed.....that would be my thought anyway. Or else I'd try to get the price down for the inconvienience of having to deal with the recall repair yourself!!
It's a small Exotic Used cars Dealer, but not a Dodge dealer

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
call your local Dodge dealer and see what the timing would be to complete the recall. It won't cost you anything but time so I wouldn't let the recall stop me from buying the car if I was you.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Run the vin in the Dodge web site when I ran mine it said the car had a recall and showed the status of the recall which in my case was incomplete.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
When we were shopping back in Sept this is the reason we didn't but used. Now with the recall, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy a used one! What more can you ask for at this point? The one thing big concern has now been taken out of the equation IMO...

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I would stay away from that car. It doesn't make sense to buy a car knowing you have to have the front of the motor ripped open. You are just asking for problems. Find one that not on the recall list. I had a mechanic friend look at the procedure and he said he would never let the dealer do that work. It is a complete crap shoot on weather it gets done right.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
If you look at the data sheet, you do not open the motor at all. I am no mechanic but I know for a fact I could do this job myself. If a dealership is not capable, then in my opinion they shouldn't be in business. Basically it's a matter of time removing several brackets and components etc. Unless a certified mechanic can state otherwise it does not appear to me that the motor itself gets opened up at all in any way!

Also, aren't all automatics on the list for the years listed? It would be hard to steer clear of a used one unless you are looking at 6-speeds...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.