Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize for changing the subject on this thread, but I have searched for the "post new Thread" icon, without any success.

My numbers matching 73 Challenger 340 auto got hit in the rear about 5 years ago. It was considered a write off but I bought it back from the insurance company. The rear bumperettes took all the force and transferred it through to the frame. The end result was compression wrinkles where the frame archs over the rear end and as a result compression wrinkles in the rear quarter panels. If you stood at the back of the car, you almost wouldn't know it was hit. I am wondering if anyone else has repaired a similar frame damage. If I get the frame repaired, then it would require two new quarters(I think that would be easier than repairing the existing). This is all a reasonable amount of work
but my heart was in this car before it got hit. I am "old school", back when Saturday afternoons were spent wrenching on your car with your buddies.
We have two other 73,74 Challengers, but not numbers matching and not 340. My option is to strip the car of all it's quality interior and good body panels. I could probably frame straighten and re & re the quarters for about 10K. I am just trying to remember if this was the best viable and accepted option, back in the 70's.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,616 Posts
I apologize for changing the subject on this thread, but I have searched for the "post new Thread" icon, without any success.

My numbers matching 73 Challenger 340 auto got hit in the rear about 5 years ago. It was considered a write off but I bought it back from the insurance company. The rear bumperettes took all the force and transferred it through to the frame. The end result was compression wrinkles where the frame archs over the rear end and as a result compression wrinkles in the rear quarter panels. If you stood at the back of the car, you almost wouldn't know it was hit. I am wondering if anyone else has repaired a similar frame damage. If I get the frame repaired, then it would require two new quarters(I think that would be easier than repairing the existing). This is all a reasonable amount of work
but my heart was in this car before it got hit. I am "old school", back when Saturday afternoons were spent wrenching on your car with your buddies.
We have two other 73,74 Challengers, but not numbers matching and not 340. My option is to strip the car of all it's quality interior and good body panels. I could probably frame straighten and re & re the quarters for about 10K. I am just trying to remember if this was the best viable and accepted option, back in the 70's.
Not in the 70s the car would have been totaled, and scrapped. But todays new equipment, lasers and all it could probably be done with good results. Is it worth 10k to do? That you have to answer.I think a really pristine 73 340 matching #s car could fetch $30-40k maybe.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,500 Posts
Basically, when you are in the forum you want to be in(in this case, Classic (70's) Dodge Challengers), hit the blue "New Thread" button on the left. You cannot start a new thread from inside another thread. Hope this helps you.

BTW, I moved your post to it's own thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That has been my dilemma for the last 5 years. I probably could raise about 8 - 10k from all the pristine parts. That plus the PROJECTED 10k repairs, I might be better off to go buy something else. Part of the decision is based on "what would I end up with after the repairs are done" and " are my cost projections accurate". Next would be that not too many 70's cars have never been hit. I am glad to see your price estimate, since I bought the car about 10 years ago for 10K. It was in immaculate shape but the car was running very rough and the guy thought it was serious. I changed one valve push rod, lol. Maybe at 30 - 40 K, it is worth repairing, since I do not want to lose another old Mopar.

·
Registered
548 Posts
In the 70s and 80s some would transfer the salvageable parts to a good body. When MOPAR values skyrocketed the VIN numbers would be transferred as well. Not legal, but if the donor car is crushed afterwards who would know.

A 73 Challenger 340 4 spd was my first e body, with a smog motor they were not the most desirable. Don't know about the present day market but investing $30K/40K in one would not be my choice.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Goodmark & DII have front & rear frame rails that you can purchase. Typically made to replace rotted out rails, but they should also be able to be used to relace crumpled metal as well. The big thing is making sure it's all square when your done.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
If the car was put on a frame machine it can probably be fixed. A good shop can get the car squared away. I'd have to see pics before I could even guess if its worth fixing.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
That has been my dilemma for the last 5 years. I probably could raise about 8 - 10k from all the pristine parts. That plus the PROJECTED 10k repairs, I might be better off to go buy something else. Part of the decision is based on "what would I end up with after the repairs are done" and " are my cost projections accurate". Next would be that not too many 70's cars have never been hit. I am glad to see your price estimate, since I bought the car about 10 years ago for 10K. It was in immaculate shape but the car was running very rough and the guy thought it was serious. I changed one valve push rod, lol. Maybe at 30 - 40 K, it is worth repairing, since I do not want to lose another old Mopar.
You might want to check the value of your Challenger at hagerty.com. The provide a valuation tool that will help you to better determine what your vehicle is worth. I took the liberty of running the tool for you based upon your description of your Challenger. Is it a Rallye?

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=1336253

1 - 8 of 8 Posts