Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hood seal ripped and was flapping around at highway speeds. I ordered a new one online and after a month when I asked about the status, the vendor replied that the order had been canceled by buyer request--wtf!

Anyway, they had refunded me my money and I decided to give them a second chance an re-ordered from them. Just to be sure, I ordered another one from a different source that arrived within several days. Here is the install story...

Here is what the seal looked like.

Here is a picture of my tool set up and the new seal prior to installation.

I used a drill bit slightly smaller than 1/8" to drill out the existing rivets. I soon learned that the pop rivet gun I purchased did not do plastic rivets. A quick trip to Harbor Freight and I was back in business. Plastic rivets are also know as POM rivets, so make sure it says that on the package. Here is the rivet gun I purchased and a small pry tool I already had that came in handy once the stem of the rivet was drilled through in order to pop the head off.

Here is the finished install, please forgive/ignore the water spots you see in the picture.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,571 Posts
Nice write up Chris, is that your first replacement?

·
12,989 Posts
Very well done Chris!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Did you use the OEM rivets? I had to replace my hood seal a couple years ago, and the dealer nailed me for $2.10 per rivet! The 11 rivets cost nearly as much as the seal!

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,002 Posts
Did you use the OEM rivets? I had to replace my hood seal a couple years ago, and the dealer nailed me for $2.10 per rivet! The 11 rivets cost nearly as much as the seal!
I've used plastic rivets from NAPA auto parts. Good quality and great pricing. Box of 20 for $6.59. I've found two sizes cover pretty much any repairs on the Challenger (inner fender wells--front spoiler--mud guards--etc:)). NAPA part #770-2871 (1" shaft length), and #770-2870 (5/8" shaft length). They make for fast and secure repairs.

·
Registered
22,643 Posts
Nice job and write up. :smileup:

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice write up Chris, is that your first replacement?
Yes, the first. The second that I will hopefully get will be a back up for when this seal goes as several owners have had to replace them more than once.

Very well done Chris!!
Thanks!

I knew the part number (Chrysler Speciality Rivets (Chrysler # 6500898) thanks to another member and found them on Amazon for a total of $7.80 for 20--enough to do two seals. However, having the wrong rivet gun at first meant I ruined 4, so I will need to order another bag.

Nice job and write up. :smileup:
Thank you, sir!

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
Thanks for the write up it seems to be a common problem for Challenger owners from what I've read on the forums.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the write up it seems to be a common problem for Challenger owners from what I've read on the forums.

Take it easy
Jay
It's very easy provided you have the right tools. The whole thing can be done for less than $40.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
It's very easy provided you have the right tools. The whole thing can be done for less than $40.
Nice job and write up! I will need to do that on mine soon. The seal is getting hard and when I close the hood it sticks up and I have to push it back under the hood. Appreciate the part numbers as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2012 Challenger SRT

My hood seal ripped and was flapping around at highway speeds. I ordered a new one online and after a month when I asked about the status, the vendor replied that the order had been canceled by buyer request--wtf!

Anyway, they had refunded me my money and I decided to give them a second chance an re-ordered from them. Just to be sure, I ordered another one from a different source that arrived within several days. Here is the install story...

Here is what the seal looked like.

Here is a picture of my tool set up and the new seal prior to installation.

I used a drill bit slightly smaller than 1/8" to drill out the existing rivets. I soon learned that the pop rivet gun I purchased did not do plastic rivets. A quick trip to Harbor Freight and I was back in business. Plastic rivets are also know as POM rivets, so make sure it says that on the package. Here is the rivet gun I purchased and a small pry tool I already had that came in handy once the stem of the rivet was drilled through in order to pop the head off.

Here is the finished install, please forgive/ignore the water spots you see in the picture.
Same problem. Whats the warranty on this part? Car is only 15 months old with less than 2000 miles. Who was the vendor and the cost? Thanks for the helpful info.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,461 Posts
Same problem. Whats the warranty on this part? Car is only 15 months old with less than 2000 miles. Who was the vendor and the cost? Thanks for the helpful info.
That should be covered under your 36/36,000 warranty. Your dealer shoul fix.

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That should be covered under your 36/36,000 warranty. Your dealer shoul fix.
Exactly. If your Challenger is still under the 3 year, 36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, it should be covered at no cost to you. My extended warranty does not cover, among other things, seals and trim. Like I said, it can all be done for less than $40 dollars--unless you need to by a POM pop rivet gun for $17. Guaranteed the dealer will charge you at least $100 to do this.

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
My hood weatherstrip failed too. My warranty covered the replacement and so my dealership took care of it. The service writer told me he had seen several Challengers come into the shop with this problem.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Thanks for the write up, mine just tore up on me, looks like I'll be buying one since the deductible on my warranty is 50 and the cost do it myself is 40.

·
Registered
244 Posts
At the risk of being a traitor to this fine forum, I found a thread in another Challenger forum about hood seal replacement using stainless steel pan head screws size 14-3/4". The poster stated the screws threaded perfectly in the rivet holes with no issues. No dealing ongoing with buying rivets, rivet removal, rivet reinstallation. Just reuse the same screws over again. Only expense would be the seal itself. I made this suggestion some time ago and it was dismissed as unworkable.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Had my hood seal replaced a week ago. My dealer fixed it on the spot as he had a few hood seals in stock and even though my car has over 38,000 miles on, he fixed it for free.

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did mine a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to Coyote it was a fairly simple DIY.
You're welcome. It's always nice to have a good preview of what you need and what you're facing in tackling an issue. Yes, not a hard DIY, but being prepared makes it all that much easier.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts