Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to pick up my tags today at the dealership. The salesman was very nice and said he'd be glad to put them on for me. I said thanks and then he pulled out a drill!!!!! I asked him what it was for and he said he had to drill holes in the front bumper to put the front plate holder on.

Please for the love of God tell me there's another way to get the front plate on the car other then drilling holes in the bumper. :shakehead::shakehead:

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts
I went to pick up my tags today at the dealership. The salesman was very nice and said he'd be glad to put them on for me. I said thanks and then he pulled out a drill!!!!! I asked him what it was for and he said he had to drill holes in the front bumper to put the front plate holder on.

Please for the love of God tell me there's another way to get the front plate on the car other then drilling holes in the bumper. :shakehead::shakehead:
The factory tag holder mounts onto the bumper cover with screws. There is a bracket called a Show and Go License Bracket tat mounts under the spoiler. A lot of people use them here. Just search for it or Google.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,943 Posts
What they did in that link does not drill any holes, you use a bolt or threaded rod and run it through the openings in the lower grill opening to secure the plate holder.

·
Registered
380 Posts

Thats how they put mine on, I asked them if thats how they mount them and with these cars already being cop magnets I did not want to chance driving home with no plates. The back are drilled also. :Wow1:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow, that really sux. One of the few nice things about Oklahoma is NO front plates.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Same in mass if your lucky enough to have kept your green plate clean. I removed the front plate holder which makes it look awesome.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rhode Island requires a front plate, but the dealer did not install the holder. I figured I am going to run with out it till I get a ticket. When I was waxing it I could feel the mounting holes already drilled under the stripes.I was looking at the show and go plate holder someone mentioned. Has anyone used this on the SRT? Does it fit without drilling new holes in spoiler?

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Yet another reason car people should live in FL, drive you muscle car ALL year round, no State income tax, warm and sunny and NO front plate! What more can a car person ask for? Oh yeah, cruise nights 7 days a week 52 weeks a per year, a car show EVERY weekend. Just gets better and better! IF I lived in a State that required a front plate like I did in NY, I would absolutely refuse to. Ticket me if you must, but there will be no front plate on a classic car or muscle car of mine period!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't know about Florida. My bosses dad lives there in the winter . He is always talking about how all the old people(no offense to anyone) back up their cars until they hit something and then pull forward. Happened to him at the airport while dropping off my boss for return flight. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
LOL well maybe in some places. We have been here for seven years now going on eight. Knock on wood, thus far, NO issues at all. We drive our car EVERYWHERE we go. It's our only car so Walmart, Dr., mall etc. now we obviously look for good spots (on the end, next to the wide handicap spots etc), but we even drove our classic cars daily and never once did we get a bumper nor door ding in all these years. Knock on wood again!

·
Registered
801 Posts
For whats its worth, live in IL, we have the front plate law. drove my GT Cruiser for 12 years with no front plate, did get a few speeding tickets, but never a ticket for no front plate, one officer who gave a ticket said I better put one one (yeah ok lol) I bought my challenger one year old, it had the front plate on it, I dislike how it looked so much with it, I removed it, went to a body shop had the holes filled and repainted bumper, could not be happier, I think if you are a cautious dirver, not dragp racing around town, cops will understand...........

·
Registered
917 Posts

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
no front plate on mine even though it's required... they give you two plates so i'm atleast assuming that's where it's suppose to go... knock on wood, they haven't stopped me yet for it (or anything for that matter) so i'll just keep moving along until they absolutely tell me to put one on... i never thought i'd say this but if/when the time comes, i'll end up drilling the SOB in... more permanent that way i guess... won't matter much to me when i'm dead and gone anyways...lol

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Your bio doesn't state where you live. I live in Illinois, mandatory here, but rarely enforced. 4 years I've had the car and never even received a warning. Once I got pulled over by a state trooper and he was checking to see if my headlights were working on a foggy day. So he walked to the front, looked at my lights, and let me go. No plate.

I have another car that I've owned for about 10 years - no plate. Been warned once. That was it.

Not telling you what to do but you might notice/talk to others who don't have a front plate and decide the risk factor. If nothing else, you could carry the plate in the passenger compartment and if you get stopped, put it on the dash. I think that is acceptable in some states.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.