Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
It looks like many of the dealers are no longer removing them when the PDI Challengers & probably Chargers. The dealers cannot order these protectors from the factory and for those that want a set, you will have to look on the internet. They are made of hard plastic so scratching of the chin spoiler can be an issue. Whether to keep them on or remove them is up to the vehicle owner.

·
They see me rollin...
1,276 Posts
Remove. Think of the dirt build up and scratching under there. Plus potential fading long term. I posted a picture in another thread today.

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
Agreed. Awesome car but that yellow doesn't work. Get one in black (or red) and it would be a "go."
Thanks to the backup camera, I almost never park straight in anymore. Learned the hard way on two different cars.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,863 Posts
I know this is always under discussion, but I would like to hear your thoughts...

Yellow protective strip... keep it or lose it?
Up to you I guess.

The ones on my Hellcat are still on after 7+ months and 7K+ miles. Didn't ask for them to be left on. Don't know if they were left on on purpose or just overlooked by the dealer in prepping the car for delivery to me. (This consisted of filling the gas tank, a quick run through a car wash. Tires were over inflated. Two different dealers now, and I can see given my experience Dodge dealer new car prep is a joke.)

As someone mentioned pics have been posted that show the guards can collect dirt/grit which might degrade what the guards are there to protect.

I know in exiting some driveways even though I try to leave at an angle the air splitter drags on the pavement.

For parking while some advocate backing in I'm not a big fan of that parking style unless there is an empty parking space directly across from the space I want which then lets me pull into the 1st empty space across from the space I want and get the car straightened and then back from this space into the one I want. However, generally there is not an empty space across from the one I want or if there is the lot is empty enough I can pull into a space and pull forward and there is no parking curb or stone to worry about.

For parking nose in I use the mirror bottoms as some kind of guide to know how far the car is in and to stop short of pulling the car in too far and possibly damaging the air splitter.

Have someone watch as you pull into a space and signal you to stop before the nose of the car gets to the curb. Or spot yourself just pull in some then get out and check how much further you can pull in and do so until you are within a foot or less of the curb.

Note where the outside mirror bottoms are in regards to the curb line. Then when you pull in without the helper/spotter you can better judge how far to pull in and avoid possible contact with the lower part of the front of the car and the curb. I got pretty good at this and drove a car with an even lower nose -- thanks to a front air dam and one that cost $400 -- and never banged it up in parking (or at any other time). One time I pulled into a parking space and some guy on the sidewalk signaled me pointing to the front the car. Thinking maybe a radiator was leaking I got out but he just wanted to comment on my parking. I had pulled in and stopped around an inch short of the curb.

At some point I'll probably remove them it is just not something that is high on my list of things to do. Whenever I see my Hellcat I'm either walking up to it to go somewhere or after parking it on my way to my office or inside a store or restaurant and while I see the yellow guards I'm not in any position to do anything about them. Then when I'm away from the car I don't think about them unless I'm participating in a discussion about them. But 30 seconds after I post this I'll have forgotten about them again.

·
15 R/T Scat Pack from Spokane WA
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye
233 Posts
I personally don’t care for them, took mine off of my Redeye. I have seen people post these as high as $200 on eBay. That is more than the splitter itself. You money might be best spent on buying a spare splitter and set it aside. They only protect against soft scrapes while loading and unloading them off a truck. So really it’s only if you like the look. I would be concerned about dirt build up, and if you put them back on, make sure they are tight, riveted or whatever. I heard a rumor of one flying off and bouncing it’s way down the undercarriage. That would suck if it got under a tire on a pass

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
They look tacky to me.
Plus they do more harm than good.
Lose em!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Here is a video showing that even a very low mileage car who may have never seen bad weather will get dirt and grit in between the splitter covers and splitter. It probably comes from the factory with dirt in them just from transporting the cars on a transporter. Over time and upon removal, the splitter can show scratches or possible discoloration under the splitter covers. You can remove the attachment pins without damaging the pins when cleaning the car and clean the back of the splitter covers and splitter. That may help to prevent possible deterioration of the splitter under the covers.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I know this is always under discussion, but I would like to hear your thoughts...

Yellow protective strip... keep it or lose it?
I'd most certainly take them off. They are there as shipping protectors and not designed for long term. The video posted by John is a perfect example of what happens. The dirt and grime gets under them and scuffs and scratches the splitter. Once that plastic gets damaged, and with the slightly textured surface of the plastic, there's no repair other than to replace it. You'll just need to be extra careful about parking, driveways, and other low spots. I park way out in the parking lots anyway to avoid door dings as well as for protecting the splitter. As a last resort, since I have the back up camera, I'll back in a parking space.

·
233 Posts
I'd most certainly take them off. They are there as shipping protectors and not designed for long term. The video posted by John is a perfect example of what happens. The dirt and grime gets under them and scuffs and scratches the splitter. Once that plastic gets damaged, and with the slightly textured surface of the plastic, there's no repair other than to replace it. You'll just need to be extra careful about parking, driveways, and other low spots. I park way out in the parking lots anyway to avoid door dings as well as for protecting the splitter. As a last resort, since I have the back up camera, I'll back ina parking space.
No good reason to keep these on. It blows me away to see these on eBay for more than the cost of a new spoiler.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
No good reason to keep these on. It blows me away to see these on eBay for more than the cost of a new spoiler.
So true! I've also seen these posted on eBay with part numbers...there's no such thing and people pay that much for them. Well, ya' know what Forest Gump said...

Reactions: Popssxt

·
233 Posts
So true! I've also seen these posted on eBay with part numbers...there's no such thing and people pay that much for them. Well, ya' know what Forest Gump said...
Lol yes.. I just got a set with my Redeye,(not a wide body). The dealer had removed them and put them in the trunk. eBay here I come! No, I couldn’t bear another Challenger with these.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Lol yes.. I just got a set with my Redeye,(not a wide body). The dealer had removed them and put them in the trunk. eBay here I come! No, I couldn’t bear another Challenger with these.
LOL! Let us know how much you got for them if that's ok. I saw a set for a Hellcat for nearly $200.00. I thought to myself this guy is crazy or awfully greedy. I have a set as well, but I'm thinking to keep them if I ever sell or trade it so the new owner will have them...when I'm about 99 years old!
You have a sweet ride there Pops. I'd like to have a Redeye, but I've debated the cost. My Scat Pack is fun to drive and the 392 provides good performance. However, I've driven a Hellcat and it's an adrenaline rush for sure!
IMG_0442.JPG

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser
1 - 20 of 56 Posts