Front Plate Lower Mount

8K views 67 replies 31 participants last post by  reyetwinger 
#1 ·
10-20-2008, 07:40 PM
sumdum

Dodge Challenger Forum Newbie
Color: Brilliant Black

front plate lower mount
if you could actually post a vid showing how you got the plate to stay like that & how sturdy a solution it really is, I & I think plenty of others here'd be most appreciative!! :smileup: If you can't get a vid, then perhaps some pix of under the car & perhaps under the grill to show what items you used to mount the plate like that.
I used the existing mount that came with the car. This mount had a few advantages. It has the proper contour to match the point of the car, even when it is mounted lower. Because one leg is longer than the other it fits good in the lower position, giving the plate a nice tilt down. The shorter leg fits the bumper point good. The longer leg,bottom in the picture, tucks nicely between the seem in the spoiler. The bolts are similar to molly bolts, those ones that have a spring loaded hinge thingy on the end. These go through the grill holes in the lower grill and pop out to pull the plate holder backward. the screws go through the plate bracket existing holes and are tightened enough to secure the plate against the car but not so tight they deform or brake the lower grill. I also put some lock tight on the hinged nuts to prevent them from loosing. Adding some small rubber edge trim to the contacting legs prevent them from moving around. Plenty of air flow behind it to allow air to enter the lower grill. A few illustrations to help explain. hard to show pictures of a black plate holder on a black car. So far 2 months, 3000+ miles and 135 MPH and its not loose

Last edited by sumdum; 10-21-2008 at 12:20 AM. Reason: add

See less See more
#2 ·
sumdum

Dodge Challenger Forum Newbie
Color: Brilliant Black

possible solution for front plate
i came up with this idea. although it is not perfect atleast it alows no drilling holes in the bumper. I took the existing front plate mount for the front bumper and fliped it 180. moved it down and tied it through the lower vent with all thread and nuts with lock tight.

Last edited by sumdum; 09-28-2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: add

#7 ·
Looks good i am leaving mine off till i am told differently by the CHP. so far i just get a thumbs up from the cops

#9 ·
While a front plate is required here in WA, I have chosen to forgo it for now. My concern in mounting below the bumper, while looking good, could possibly impact cooling IMHO. There is one mounting bracket I have found I would use if I end up mounting a plate. It would also allow you to mount in front of, or below, the bumper depending on your choice. There is a kit for the Challenger.
Check this out:www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/plate.htm

#10 ·
I live in New York and I specifically asked for my dealer not to mount the front plate knowing full well it was illegal. I have had the car now going on a month and today some ******* metermaid gave me a $65 ticket for no front plate. I have been pulled over twice and the cops say nothing(got out of speeding ticket both times). Anyway, I was thinking of putting the plate on. I pictured what I would have to do and it is exactly what you guys did. I was also trying to figure out if there was some way to put it on in a way where you can take it off and on with ease. Does anyone have any ideas?

#13 ·
Feb 24th

Yup Picked up the R/T Just 13 days ago and I have already been pulled over. I have 10 days to find a solution or my warning becomes a 46.50 ticket. So Now I need to think about the stock bracket or some other way that seems worth it. I am bummed-my choice of not applying it has been removed... Waaa:str:

#14 ·
You are issued front and rear plates in Las Vegas, but not many people bother to use them. I keep mine in the trunk on my vehicles. Some people place their's on the dashboard in the center or on the passenger side. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want a razor thin piece of metal tucked between the dashboard and windsheild.

#15 ·
This works great, thanks saved me from a $150 ticket. Just as I was coming out of the house with bracket and the bolts a traffic agent was crossing the street towards my baby, when she saw me come out of the house she yelled out is that your car, i replied yes is their a problem and she said you have no front plate. I said that's why I'm out here to install it. So thanks again for saving me from a ticket in NYC.

#16 ·
Front plate mount

HEY BIG SNAKE
I am not happy but i had to do it. I would rather have no front plate but hey. I used you idea with the molley screws and it worked perfect. It looks like it belongs there. Thanks again. Great idea. Everyone who has to put the front plate on should use his idea.

#17 ·
Actually it was another member "sumdum" who wrote this, I only moved it here !

#24 ·
if you are going to put a trim around the bracket itself then I would think a black door edge guard from wally world would work.

I really dont think it would matter if it had one or not since it will be against the lower grille area and not actually touching the bumper area.

#25 ·
if you are going to put a trim around the bracket itself then I would think a black door edge guard from wally world would work.

I really dont think it would matter if it had one or not since it will be against the lower grille area and not actually touching the bumper area.
thanks for the quick response, i will have to wait until they get the plates in to see how it sits.

fortunately they didnt have the plate bracket on or in the car when i bought it last week. if it had been there im sure the lot man would have installed it while he was cleaining it for delivery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.