Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts
thanks to sumdum for this GREAT IDEA, i was dreading the thought of my front bumper being damaged when the plates come in. i am going tp pick up the 5" mollys this week only thing i need to know is what kind of rubber egde trim?

thanks
Rich

if you are going to put a trim around the bracket itself then I would think a black door edge guard from wally world would work.

I really dont think it would matter if it had one or not since it will be against the lower grille area and not actually touching the bumper area.

if you are going to put a trim around the bracket itself then I would think a black door edge guard from wally world would work.

I really dont think it would matter if it had one or not since it will be against the lower grille area and not actually touching the bumper area.
thanks for the quick response, i will have to wait until they get the plates in to see how it sits.

fortunately they didnt have the plate bracket on or in the car when i bought it last week. if it had been there im sure the lot man would have installed it while he was cleaining it for delivery.

You have a mount that came with your Challenger? All I have is a plastic bracket and it looks nothing like yours in the pic. Did you get yours from the factory or a dealer? Who would I contact for it? Thank you so much for your help!

:smileup:

you should have received the bracket in the post above by sumdum,
make sure you check the trunk and in particular the spare tire well
if its not there call your selling dealer and let the know you need a bracket
they should supply it since your state requires 2 plates

when i bought my car it didnt have the bracket and they had to order one for me.

I found the bracket in the trunk (some days I'm blonder than others!) I appreciate the advice, got the toggle bolts and installed it like the pics showed. Now I'm legal and my baby is still intact. Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Thats why i love being from nova scotia, canada, i dont need to have a front plate on. But still that is a great idead to not have to drill your bumper, even though the stupid little indents are already there.

I'm curious to know if anybody has done this mod, that had already had a plate mount drilled into the bumper. Unfortunately my car came with the plate bracket already mounted. I removed it and now have 4 holes in the bumper and a nice line in the shape of the plate bracket on my bumper. I'm sure I could buff the lines out. And I could probably put some black buttonheads in the holes to disguise them. Anybody encounter this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

I just did this and all I can say is AWSOME... I took two strips of black hockey tape the width of the plate holder and them in half... so they were roughly3/8 to 1/2 wide and wrapped the parts that touch the car twice and then installed... My great thanks go out to the person that came up with this... NICE!!!!

Just a quick question on the lower plate install, has anyone had any overheating issues? It looks like it covers up a lot of the lower grill? I'm sure somone out there has done a study and I just want to know if you saw higher temps?

Thanks,

Lou

Front plate lower mount success!

It looks great. Thanks for the tip!

On a 5 beer installation difficulty scale, I'd give it a 1.

Weather stripping worked great on the top. The bottom? Not so much.

Looks great, I was going to do it also but does it cut too much air flow to the radiator?
No, because not only do you have 6.5" of unrestricted air on either side, but you have the complete venting on the top level grill. :smileup:

It's like sticking your head out of the window when you're driving. You're getting more than enough air that almost chokes you, right? Same thing here. Plus, the air would whip around both sides of the mount as it sits about 3" from the grill.

Air flow

So I was thinking what if I put some holes in the bottom not only for air flo but for drainage also, I figure it can't hurt. Any way It's all set to go as soon as the paint dries on the bolts, I sprayed them flat black so you won't see them from the side.

Attachments

So I was thinking what if I put some holes in the bottom not only for air flo but for drainage also, I figure it can't hurt. Any way It's all set to go as soon as the paint dries on the bolts, I sprayed them flat black so you won't see them from the side.
Hey, that's a good idea. I should have done that.

An alternative to painting the bolts is to get 1/2" black rubber tubing from a hardware store and use it as a sleeve. 1/4" would be too tight.

What I might do is order OEM spray paint from the dealer and paint mine to mathch the car (and drill those extra holes while I have it off. ;)

10-20-2008, 07:40 PM
sumdum

Dodge Challenger Forum Newbie
Color: Brilliant Black

front plate lower mount
if you could actually post a vid showing how you got the plate to stay like that & how sturdy a solution it really is, I & I think plenty of others here'd be most appreciative!! :smileup: If you can't get a vid, then perhaps some pix of under the car & perhaps under the grill to show what items you used to mount the plate like that.
I used the existing mount that came with the car. This mount had a few advantages. It has the proper contour to match the point of the car, even when it is mounted lower. Because one leg is longer than the other it fits good in the lower position, giving the plate a nice tilt down. The shorter leg fits the bumper point good. The longer leg,bottom in the picture, tucks nicely between the seem in the spoiler. The bolts are similar to molly bolts, those ones that have a spring loaded hinge thingy on the end. These go through the grill holes in the lower grill and pop out to pull the plate holder backward. the screws go through the plate bracket existing holes and are tightened enough to secure the plate against the car but not so tight they deform or brake the lower grill. I also put some lock tight on the hinged nuts to prevent them from loosing. Adding some small rubber edge trim to the contacting legs prevent them from moving around. Plenty of air flow behind it to allow air to enter the lower grill. A few illustrations to help explain. hard to show pictures of a black plate holder on a black car. So far 2 months, 3000+ miles and 135 MPH and its not loose

Last edited by sumdum; 10-21-2008 at 12:20 AM. Reason: add
SO I just did this on my 2011. WOrks awesome! I think the grill on the 2011 SRT is a bit different I only needed two 4" bolts. I covered them with black heat shrink tubing. One minor question is......How Tight? I did not want to crank them down but I also did not put any lock tight on the threads. Thoughts?

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.