Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Hopefully someone may have had the same issue.

I recently fitted some 20x9 wheels to my car 2013 (2014 SXT, 1700 miles). The front tire size is 245/45 and rears are 275/40. They are Mickey Thompson street comps.

Getting a sort of rotating squeaking noise from the front tires at low speed (1 squeak per revolution), I initially thought the tires were rubbing on the knuckle so I put a set of 5mm spacers on there, but it hadn't solved the issue.

When I raise the car an spin the wheels, the sound isn't there?

Any ideas on what it could be?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I wonder if its some kind of brake caliper or brake hardware issue thats rubbing something with the weight of the car on the ground. I think the brake systems may be different for the SXT, regarding the calipers to fit with a wider 20 x 9 wheel.

·
Registered
997 Posts
If your running OEM brake pads, I would change them out. Is the noise all the time or when you apply the brakes?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi All,

Thanks for the responses.

this is totally baffling me.

The noise is there whether the brakes are on or off.

I thought it might be an issue with something rubbing, but I can't see or feel anything even remotely close to the wheels.

The wheels themselves are ones that are on the 2009 Charger SRT8, I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be an issue though.

I've just come home from visiting Westbury Dodge/Jeep and their answer was total garbage. There exact words were "wheels are too big for the car, so power steering pump has to work harder", so I said are you telling me the noise is the pump and they said yes.

Of course I left the place in disagreement with them, the power steering pump wouldn't coincidentally make the squeaking noise every time the wheels make a complete rotation.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,654 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks for the responses.

this is totally baffling me.

The noise is there whether the brakes are on or off.

I thought it might be an issue with something rubbing, but I can't see or feel anything even remotely close to the wheels.

The wheels themselves are ones that are on the 2009 Charger SRT8, I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be an issue though.

I've just come home from visiting Westbury Dodge/Jeep and their answer was total garbage. There exact words were "wheels are too big for the car, so power steering pump has to work harder", so I said are you telling me the noise is the pump and they said yes.

Of course I left the place in disagreement with them, the power steering pump wouldn't coincidentally make the squeaking noise every time the wheels make a complete rotation.
I would check the dust shields at the backside of the rotors,could be they got bent and are touching the rotors. I believe the SRT wheels have a different offset than other vehicles that may be causing an issue with a rub somewhere.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would check the dust shields at the backside of the rotors,could be they got bent and are touching the rotors. I believe the SRT wheels have a different offset than other vehicles that may be causing an issue with a rub somewhere.
Yeah, I think I'll go and remove the pads and rotors, give them a clean and put them back, see if that helps. In the meantime, I'll take a good look at the dust shields too.

The wheel size is 20x9 and offset is 20, incase anyone thinks that this may be the issue.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I took of the rotors and pads, checked the backing plates and all ok.

Cleaned the rotors and scrubbed the pads with an emery cloth.

The noise is still there though, I definitely cannot replicate it with the vehicle in the air.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a video of the sound, I finally persuaded the wife to drive the car on tick over.

Its only coming from the front driver side.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Here is a video of the sound, I finally persuaded the wife to drive the car on tick over.

Its only coming from the front driver side.

Well that is definitely the sound of rubber, eh? Could it be a defect or something in the tire itself? I know its a bit of a precarious position but can you hear where in the wheel it comes from. I.e. HTe contact patch vs the hub area, etc?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that is definitely the sound of rubber, eh? Could it be a defect or something in the tire itself? I know its a bit of a precarious position but can you hear where in the wheel it comes from. I.e. HTe contact patch vs the hub area, etc?
I can't hear exactly where its coming from, I was getting funny looks from the neighbors chasing the car down the street with my head next to the wheel.

I'll swap the driver tire and the passenger tire around to see if it narrows it down to the actual wheel/tire. I'm just wondering if there is any rubber parts behind which might be causing it instead.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The SRTs have a different brake set up. They have different offset wheels to compensate for the bigger brake system.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yeah I understand that they have a different set up, but there are loads of people running this wheel configuration on non-SRT Challengers, so I don't think the actual wheel itself is the problem, unless its cracked of course, that might be a reason for it squeaking under load?

It is also just one side that the noise is coming from, the passenger side is fine.

I checked the clearance on the wheel arch linings and it is nowhere near. The only thing it was really close to was the knuckle, I put 5mm spacers on there thinking that would solve it, but it didn't.

Appreciate the input mate, I'm sure we'll narrow it down. Have to say, I was pretty p**sed off with the diagnosis Dodge gave. It was already driving me mad, then they came out and said it was the power steering making the noise whilst going in a straight line.

In the morning, I'll swap them over to see if the passenger side stars squeaking with this wheel on it, that way we should know if the wheel and/or tire is defective.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please let us know what you find!
Well its definitely the wheel or tire, I swapped them over and now the squeak is coming from the passenger side.
The wheel looks fine and there is no obvious sign of any damage on it, not even any scratch marks so I suspect its the tire.

I'll take the car over to Goodyear and have them take a quick look over the wheel.

I'll at least have a definitive answer for us all incase anyone else has the same issue in the future :smileup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well so much for the definitive answer...

The car went to Goodyear today to see if they could find anything.

They confirmed that there is no rubbing on any other parts of the car, brakes are fine.

But, like me, they don't know exactly what it is that's making the noise.

They said the wheel is in no way damaged or buckled, so its the tire. They also said that the tire is perfectly safe, pressures are fine, balanced, car aligned and the sound is still there.

they said there's no point in wasting money on new tires just to make the squeak go away, no matter how annoying it is.

So apologies, I thought I would have had an answer to this once and for all, but it seems like everyone is stumped in this :(

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,654 Posts
Well so much for the definitive answer...

The car went to Goodyear today to see if they could find anything.

They confirmed that there is no rubbing on any other parts of the car, brakes are fine.

But, like me, they don't know exactly what it is that's making the noise.

They said the wheel is in no way damaged or buckled, so its the tire. They also said that the tire is perfectly safe, pressures are fine, balanced, car aligned and the sound is still there.

they said there's no point in wasting money on new tires just to make the squeak go away, no matter how annoying it is.

So apologies, I thought I would have had an answer to this once and for all, but it seems like everyone is stumped in this :(
How weird that is.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I solved it!!!!!!

As a final resort I sprayed some silicone based lubricant between the tire and the rim, both on the inside and the outside of the wheel.

I left it for a couple of hours and came back.

Just took it for a drive and the squeak is gone!!!

I guess sometimes it's the simple things that are the problem

·
Registered
389 Posts
I solved it!!!!!!

As a final resort I sprayed some silicone based lubricant between the tire and the rim, both on the inside and the outside of the wheel.

I left it for a couple of hours and came back.

Just took it for a drive and the squeak is gone!!!

I guess sometimes it's the simple things that are the problem
Yay!! I was getting anxiety for you :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Hopefully someone may have had the same issue.

I recently fitted some 20x9 wheels to my car 2013 (2014 SXT, 1700 miles). The front tire size is 245/45 and rears are 275/40. They are Mickey Thompson street comps.

Getting a sort of rotating squeaking noise from the front tires at low speed (1 squeak per revolution), I initially thought the tires were rubbing on the knuckle so I put a set of 5mm spacers on there, but it hadn't solved the issue.

When I raise the car an spin the wheels, the sound isn't there?

Any ideas on what it could be?
It is 2019 and I have this problem. Does anyone know how to get rid of this squeaking sound? For me, it happens typically when I’m driving fast (75MPH+).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts