Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use fuel system cleaners? I buy my gas from Sam's Club, I get the 93 octane. Bought some Techron complete Fuel system cleaner, before I use it just wondering if anyone has any experience with this product or could recommend something else?

·
What's Old is New Again!
33,969 Posts
Most of us don't use fuel system additives, but I recommend Sea Foam. I use it in my Ram and wife's Jeep. If you use a Top Tier gas from a reputable station, it should be enough.

·
Premium Member
11,989 Posts
Sea Foam is good advice I use it in my boat....

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
I know a lot of guys that use Seafoam and swear by it, but I've never actually used it myself. I think if I were to ever try something like that I'd likely give Seafoam a shot though.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Royal Purple Fuel System Cleaner.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My 392 doesn't like Sams Club fuel,check engine light comes on and my T3100 reader said misfire and low octane fuel.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sea foam is a good lubricant, but does nothing to remove carbon or stabilize fuel with alcohol.

Techron is one of the better carbon remover additives.

PRI-G is the best fuel conditioner for storage or freshening stale fuel.

If you want to see how it works, pull a spark plug, take a photo, then run the stuff and inspect the same spark plug again. Otherwise, watch your fuel economy after finishing the tank of treated fuel.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I just put a can of sea foam in the wifes Camaro.
Jeff, what if anything do you use in the Challengers? I don't use the car much. Oct to now only have 735 miles. So the Reformulated Gasoline (Ethanol added) sits in there. I have used Lucas Ethanol Treatment, which has other cleaning properties. Do you add the seafoam to the gas and fill it up or do you burn it off with a low tank? Thanks, Mike

·
Business
19,243 Posts
Jeff, what if anything do you use in the Challengers? I don't use the car much. Oct to now only have 735 miles. So the Reformulated Gasoline (Ethanol added) sits in there. I have used Lucas Ethanol Treatment, which has other cleaning properties. Do you add the seafoam to the gas and fill it up or do you burn it off with a low tank? Thanks, Mike
I've never put any additives in the our Challengers. I did the sea foam one time in the Camaro due to it idling rough. Which it did help. In your case I would stick with the Lucas treatment. And of course good quality gas like Mobil, BP. I don't much like the Shell gas here it makes my Challengers run sluggish.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
When I purchased my Challenger, it had about 13 400 miles on it. That was in February 2015. It currently has 19,700.
I originally used Sunoco 93 octane, then went to Shell 93 w/V Power. Due to the dreaded 10% ethanol contained in the fuel I add the proper dosage of STA-BIL 360 every other fill up. I have not had any issues with engine stumble or any fuel related issues.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Does anyone use fuel system cleaners? I buy my gas from Sam's Club, I get the 93 octane. Bought some Techron complete Fuel system cleaner, before I use it just wondering if anyone has any experience with this product or could recommend something else?
A few years back after several years of running Shell V-Power I switched to using Chevron Supreme with Techron. The only change was the gasoline. After not even a full tank of gas through the engine -- my 2002 Boxster -- the engine was running better.

Even before my experience though people I trust -- in the automobile repair business -- always told me "Techron", so while I don't use any fuel additives -- cleaners, engine deposit removers -- on a regular basis but when I feel something is needed I use Techron.

Use Techron. Mix according to directions. Well, try. The bottle I would buy treated 20 gallons of gasoline but teh fuel tank of my Boxster holds just 16.9 gallons. I still dumped in the entire bottle of Techron then filled up the gas tank.

If you notice any improvement from the engine the general recommendation is to repeat the treatment. Another bottle of Techron and then mix it up by filling up the fuel tank.

Afterwards when the fuel tank with the Techron added is low say down to 1/4 tank it is a good idea to arrange to change the oil and filter. Techron can increase engine oil contamination, Techron is designed to survive the combustion process and some Techron gets in the oil, and the only real way to deal with this is to drain the oil and replace it with fresh oil.

If after using Techron you notice any improvement from the engine you need to consider repeating this Techron treatement maybe as often as just before every engine oil/filter service, or every say 5K or 6K miles.

My advice is to not use any "cleaner" you are supposed to add to the engine oil, or pour in the intake.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Guys....what about fuel injector cleaner? I run my baby only about once/ week. She has 9500 miles and I have put fuel injector cleaner in the tank twice.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Guys....what about fuel injector cleaner? I run my baby only about once/ week. She has 9500 miles and I have put fuel injector cleaner in the tank twice.
If you drive the car long enough per weekly use the injectors are self cleaning. Gasoline has a detergent attribute.

I used to experience this when I'd head out on a long road trip. I'd get out of the SF Bay Area and eventually get over on I-5 and head south. One hundred fifty or so miles after I started and most of these miles at highway speeds I'd stop for a break and notice how much better the engine was running after the prolonged drive.

More recently -- well back in 2012 -- I found just an approx. 50 mile highway drive had the same effect on the engine.

Where injectors can get "dirty" is after a short trip and the engine is shut off. If there is any fuel at the exposed injector tip it can dry and leave a deposit. Over time as this deposit builds up it can interfere with the spray pattern of the injector nozzle.

A good long run -- as I touched upon above -- can remove this deposit but another a steady series of short trips and heat soak after each one and the injector tips over time just get more build up.

At some point a Techron treatment might be called for.

If available to you fill up with Chevron Supreme (with Techron). I've done this with my cars over the years and in one notable case in less than a tank of Supreme the engine was running better and this for an engine that was used several times a week for my 60 mile (round trip) work commute. Even 60 miles (albeit not all at highway speeds) was not sufficient to cleanse the injector nozzles and remove deposits from wherever else they accumulated.

Or if Chevron is not available where you are then consider a bottle of Techron of the right size to treat the contents of your car's gasoline tank. Buy the bottle. Shake it then dump its contents into the gas tank. Then fill the tank with the proper gasoline until full.

Drive the car as you normally do, but a longish "trip" is even better, will show a quicker improvement provided there is any to be had. With 9500 miles the engine doesn't have to require injector cleaner just yet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Been using Lucas for years. Had a Nissan Quest that developed a “bad” injector. Put this in on a whim, ran it about a day or so and rough idle went away, gas mileage went up and it purred like a kitten. That was enough to convince me. I’ve tried sea foam and it did nothing for me other than smoke like hell but that was the old sea foam hook to the manifold and watch the smoke show when it first came out. Kind of like dumping marvel mystery oil down the carb back in the day but tons more smoke...

Also just “fixed” error code cylinder 4 misfire on a Ford Escape turbo car of my co-worker with Lucas.

FF90CD6E-4252-4BF3-A1C0-546833514777.png

1 - 18 of 18 Posts