Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after having my fuel pump replaced twice and both times the fuel pump was bad, I have decided to not drive my car as much as I used to...I knew going in that it would be pricey on gas but something is seriously wrong with the fuel pump. I went to the dealership to have my oil change and they now say that over 20 people are waiting for this update from Chrysler,...but of course Chrysler hasnt said anything. So i decided to buy a scooter..Got a Honda pcx 150 and if its nice outside..Im riding that...gets me where i got to go and quick. It is also a great gas saver...All though I love my car..This is something that needs to be address....hopefully no one on here has had the problems like i have with their fuel pump..I will be driving to San Antonio this upcoming weekend so I shall see how well it does on gas...
Alicia

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuel gauge moves all over the place..I could be sitting at a red light and if its longer than a few minutes..my fuel gauge will move say if it was at the half all the way down to 1/4. I can be on a flat surface and it still does this...Sometimes I get the gas back sometimes I dont..My dad said that is common because they want people to fill up before it gets too low but ive just never experienced that before...Everytime I did take it to the dealership though. They have gotten a message saying the fuel pumps are bad so I dont know whats going on with that. Chrysler is suppose to come out with an update that fixed the mpg's...I have no clue exactly what that is suppose to do but thats what the dealership says. I was the first person to bring this problem to their attention and when i went for my second oil change...they said more and more people were now having this problem so i dont know whats going on..All i know is i still enjoy driving it

·
Registered
235 Posts
Alicia, what year is your car? Mine's a 2012. I haven't experienced this issue, but of course it's been in the garage all winter and was just brought out to play. I will be keeping my eye out for this problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alicia, what year is your car? Mine's a 2012. I haven't experienced this issue, but of course it's been in the garage all winter and was just brought out to play. I will be keeping my eye out for this problem.
Mine is a 2013..I didnt notice it until about a month or so of owning the car!! I had the fuel pump replaced the first time and the car was only 4 months old or so and the second time was back in October of last year. Ive had the car almost a year...Everytime I take it though the machine says the fuel pumps are bad...its just strange...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may end up getting a motorcycle later on but I do want to keep my challenger!! Just wish this wasnt an issue!! Other than that the car is fine!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, that's a bit weird.. I've got a 2011 and it's never had any mechanical issues in the 2 years I've owned it. Especially nothing like the fuel gauge just going up or down etc. Sorry to hear you're having problems, that kinda stuff would piss me off lol

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
so they determined the fuel pump was bad based on the fuel gauge's erratic behavior? first time i've ever heard of this... my guess is the sending unit is probably built into the pump itself maybe? i really hope they can get you figured out soon... the challenger is really a great car and hate hearing about disappointed owners... good luck and please keep us posted...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that's a bit weird.. I've got a 2011 and it's never had any mechanical issues in the 2 years I've owned it. Especially nothing like the fuel gauge just going up or down etc. Sorry to hear you're having problems, that kinda stuff would piss me off lol

yeah it does make me upset...thats why i jump on my pcx 150 and go for a ride lol
yeah idk whats going on and i highly doubt an update will fix it, if its the fuel pumps.

Alicia

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so they determined the fuel pump was bad based on the fuel gauge's erratic behavior? first time i've ever heard of this... my guess is the sending unit is probably built into the pump itself maybe? i really hope they can get you figured out soon... the challenger is really a great car and hate hearing about disappointed owners... good luck and please keep us posted...
I dont think they determined the fuel pumps were bad from the fuel gauge.. they put it on the machine that reads out error messages..im assuming thats what it is and they were getting a signal sent to them that said that the fuel pumps were bad..Im sure it was the sending unit. It's just weird that both times they changed the fuel pumps they were both bad...Who knows..I do hope it gets fixed soon. I took it to canyon lake this weekend..On the way there did ok on gas on the way back did great but again when i got home it started doing that fuel gauge crap lol...i will probably call the dealership soon to see what they have heard about the update.
Alicia

·
Registered
387 Posts
Old thread but mine starting doing this as well.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
This sounds like a sending unit issue.
It looks like the sending unit is integral with the fuel pump and can't be replaced independently.
There are two fuel pumps in these cars located beneath the rear seat. They are pretty easy to get to - just pop out the rear seat bottom, undo the lock ring and pull the pumps out. (Be careful to let them drain as you pull them up or you'll have gas all over the inside of the car) Left is the main pump and right side is the auxiliary or transfer pump..
Not sure how to test the pumps or sending unit - sorry, I'm not good with electrical stuff. Usually you test for resistance but I have no idea what value is good or bad.
Rock auto has the new pumps each for about $110 if you can figure out which one is bad.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
The fuel gauge moves all over the place..I could be sitting at a red light and if its longer than a few minutes..my fuel gauge will move say if it was at the half all the way down to 1/4. I can be on a flat surface and it still does this...Sometimes I get the gas back sometimes I dont..My dad said that is common because they want people to fill up before it gets too low but ive just never experienced that before...Everytime I did take it to the dealership though. They have gotten a message saying the fuel pumps are bad so I dont know whats going on with that. Chrysler is suppose to come out with an update that fixed the mpg's...I have no clue exactly what that is suppose to do but thats what the dealership says. I was the first person to bring this problem to their attention and when i went for my second oil change...they said more and more people were now having this problem so i dont know whats going on..All i know is i still enjoy driving it
This does not sound like a bad fuel pump. More than likely, it's a bad ground on the sending unit. This is a float with a submerged rheostat that determines the fuel level. Been seeing this problem on cars since fuel gauges became standard back in the late 1930's. The method by which fuel level is determined has always been the same. There is usually a ground screw right beside the fuel pump/sending unit with a crappy connection to the body. Usually it is caused by excessive body paint under the screw causing a high resistance connection. It causes the fuel gauge to wander around. Improper diagnosis is why they are unable to fix it.

-John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts