Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my 2010 Challenger would not start. It would crank but I could not hear the fuel pump. I assumed it was either a blown fuse or a bad relay and thought about swapping a relay if I knew which one it was. Since I was miles from away from getting help, I pulled out the owner's manual to check out the fuses and relays. In the owner's manual for the 2010 Challenger, there is no fuel relay listed or shown in either the engine fuse box or the trunk distribution box, only a fuel pump fuse. I checked the fuel pump fuse and it was good. I had no way to use the internet so I called the closest dealer and told them my problem. They offered no help over the phone other than recommending a tow company to get the car. As it turns out, it was a fuel pump relay, slot #46 in the trunk. So after a $125 flatbed ride to the dealer, they soaked me for another $303 to replace a fuel pump relay that is not shown at all in the owner's manual ($30 for the relay and $255.85 for labor/shop supplies, plus $17.15 tax). Had this relay been noted in the owner's manual, I could have swapped the bad relay with the #45 stop light relay, got the car running again and gone to an auto parts store where I could have bought a $16 replacement relay. So if you have a Challenger owner's manual with no relays shown in positions 45 and 46 and your fuel pump stops working, here the answer.

·
Dazed & Confused
35,851 Posts
Need to be careful as the transmission relay (24) is the same as the fuel pump relay (46) and in my 09 it's the only other relay the same in the rear block. #45, 47, 25 & 26 are all spare slots in mine and has no relays. I did swap the two to test the fuel pump relay but car won't drive with a bad transmission relay. Luckily mine quit 1/4 mile from the house & I had the neighbor come help me back. $15 from O'Reillys & I was good.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Actually, on the 2010 R/T, slot #47 is a spare, #45 and #46 have the identical rectangular looking relays while slot #24 is a completely different relay that is larger and square. What was annoying is that I told the service rep at the dealership over the phone that I am not hearing the fuel pump come on and asked if there was a fuel pump relay in my car because the owner's manual did not show one. Instead of telling me that there was one in slot # 46, he said if there wasn't one shown in the owner's manual then there probably wasn't one and I should get the car towed to the dealership as it was most likely the fuel pump itself.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate your pdf's and found a schematic after I got home last night. It would have been nice if the owner's manual would have at least mentioned the relay. I put a copy of the schematic in my book. I am uploading a photo of my distribution block and you can see that #46 is in the lower left corner and rectangular while #24 is up and over to the right and is square. They apparently used different distribution boxes and relays in different years and models. I am going to carry a spare one from now on in each of my cars that use fuel pump relays.

Attachments

·
Dazed & Confused
35,851 Posts
That distribution block is the same but it appears those relays are labeled a little different than what shows in my 09 service manual. Other than 24 & 46 the other 4 are labeled as Spare and not what that PDF has them labeled.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
That dealer is a thief, charging that kind of money to change a relay is awful. I am sure it took them less than 15 min to do so. I hate that kind of dealer that overcharged and rip off their clients.
Thanks all for sharing, that is some very good info and it can help many of us down the line.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
That distribution block is the same but it appears those relays are labeled a little different than what shows in my 09 service manual. Other than 24 & 46 the other 4 are labeled as Spare and not what that PDF has them labeled.
Curious. I've never popped the trunk and compared the pdf above to the actual fuse block to see if they match. The info I posted is from the 2010 part number / assembly pdf. I wonder if the 2009 & 2010 were different.
Maybe the additional relays shown are only present with certain options on the car?

·
Dazed & Confused
35,851 Posts
Curious. I've never popped the trunk and compared the pdf above to the actual fuse block to see if they match. The info I posted is from the 2010 part number / assembly pdf. I wonder if the 2009 & 2010 were different.
Maybe the additional relays shown are only present with certain options on the car?
They are the same, I took my info from the service manual. I'm sure 2010s probably had a few extra goodies available than the 09 models which could explain the difference in the nomenclature.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I decided to look at the owner's manuals for my other cars. My Jeep Liberty manual fails to show a fuel pump relay and my daughter's 2016 Charger manual does not show one either. The problem is if you are out driving somewhere or park your car like I did and you notice that the sound that the fuel pump normally makes when you turn the key is not there, your owner's manual won't help you find that relay so you can get back on the road.

·
Dazed & Confused
35,851 Posts
Yeah, the owners manual usually just shows fuses. When I bought my replacement relay, I purchased 2 and have a spare in the trunk just in case.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
8,481 Posts
^ Just an FYI......As jkelly16 posted, both relays are the same (24 & 46). The manufacturer is OMRON (#21911C), and the FCA # is: 05269988AA.
Just want to clarify what I posted earlier. The relay manufacturer & FCA part number is what is in my 2010 R/T (OEM) and may not be correct for all of the 2010 models. After looking at the photo mrwfp posted of his trunk fuse panel, mine is a slightly different configuration with several different relay types.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I appreciate your pdf's and found a schematic after I got home last night. It would have been nice if the owner's manual would have at least mentioned the relay. I put a copy of the schematic in my book. I am uploading a photo of my distribution block and you can see that #46 is in the lower left corner and rectangular while #24 is up and over to the right and is square. They apparently used different distribution boxes and relays in different years and models. I am going to carry a spare one from now on in each of my cars that use fuel pump relays.
That
this was really helpful thanks. It happened to me on friday i couldnot figure out what the problem was till i read this post on sunday. And booom.. am very happy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts