Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last Friday I noticed my passenger-side window repeatedly opening/closing a 1/4" while the car was off. Immediately ruling out demonic possession, I jumped to here and determined that it has a faulty door latch sensor and I need to get it to the dealership while it's still under warranty. Saturday morning the battery is completely dead (at nearly 3 years old, I wasn't surprised it went that quickly). So it's 0800 and my wife is at work so I walked 1.5 miles to Advance Auto Parts, bought a new battery (I believe the fine print said "Largest car battery known to man"), and made the 1.5 mile hump back home with the 40lb battery in hand. Swapped out, no problems, car was great through Sunday. Monday morning twas dead... got it jumped, got to work, and it was dead by the time I got off work. After another jump I went straight to the dealer to drop it off. I just got a call and my 3-day old battery is COMPLETELY dead. :SHOCKED: They had it on a charger for 3 hours and nothing. So now I get to go get that battery from them, exchange it across the street, and take a new one back to them JUST so they can finally run a diagnostic. For any of you with the door latch sensor/smart glass issue, was it this brutal on your battery or might I have another gremlin lurking?

·
Registered
243 Posts
If it died on the way into work it may be a sign of a fault in the charging system. It could also be the battery you got was faulty ... not unheard of.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,513 Posts
I don't think it was the battery's fault. I would think that the restrictive movement of the "smart glass" continuously going up and down against the molding would cause quite a draw on the battery and run it down in no time. In hind sight, it probably would have been best to pull the negative battery cable while this was going on until you got it to the dealer.

Reactions: 70barcuda

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In hind sight, it probably would have been best to pull the negative battery cable while this was going on until you got it to the dealer.
I thought about that after the fact (hind sight is 20/20). I'll make sure to tell the dealer today when I drop them off a new battery to unhook it when they're done with the diagnostic in case that hasn't crossed their minds either.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Luckily it doesn't sound like an alternator problem. Mine died at 2 years, and that part ALONE was somewhere around $700! That battery isn't cheap, either!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer called yesterday afternoon and confirmed it was the door latch sensor. Fortunately the part was close by and they were supposed to have it installed either late yesterday or first thing this morning. I'm looking forward to getting Pandora back today :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but is it possible when having a window control problem, to pull a fuse to disable the windows and save the battery?

I've heard the newer auto batteries (AGM) do Not like being drained all the way down, it usually kills them.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excuse my ignorance, but is it possible when having a window control problem, to pull a fuse to disable the windows and save the battery?

I've heard the newer auto batteries (AGM) do Not like being drained all the way down, it usually kills them.
I checked both fuse boxes and didn't see anything directly related to the power windows. I'm sure one of the fuses would have disabled it, but I think it would have disabled something else as well. Maybe someone else can chime in on it, but I was unable to find the right one :4-dontknow:

Fortunately, all is well again in the world. I have my girl back and didn't pay a penny for the repair.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Fortunately, all is well again in the world. I have my girl back and didn't pay a penny for the repair.
Well that's great news! Glad you got everything fixed, and for zero dollars! :smileup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts