Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the hood of the SXT being the same as the RT and STR has anyone swaped to the functional inserts and if so I am curious to know, 1) does the engine compartment become more dirty faster and 2) how does it look under the hood after a day driving in the rain? I figure living in Texas where it will get hot in the summer there would be nothing wrong with a little more air flowing into the engine compartment to cool things down a little more.

·
Registered
12,218 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
90 bucks is a lot of coin for a 10 degree drop in temps and more weather inside your engine bay. Hmm... cool mod but I think I'll hold off.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Doing a quick search using the Search function here on the Z pulled up several good posts from several threads on the subject of functional hood scoops:

Based on four years of experience with the functional scoops, the amount of water that enters the engine compartment is negligible, if at all.
I replied to this a few days ago, and today I rinsed it off and did a quick wipe down, and I made it a point to look under the hood to see if there was was any water around the engine bay. It was dry, except around the edges of the hood, but no water from the hood scoops as far as I can see. They do seem to hold A LOT of water up top; had to wipe them off 3-4 times. Hope this helps answer your questions. Nice to have REAL scoops, even if they don't do much!!!!
No not dirtier at all and I live on a dirt road. First mod for me. I ordered from Speedlogix, fast shipping and good price. Easy and fast swap, took longer to
unpack than install.
Very easy to install and well worth it.

I have not noticed any additional dirt in the engine bay because of this. No issues with rain water or when washing the car either.

Hood struts and functional hood scoops should be standard on all Challengers.
DITTO here.
No added dirt levels in the engine compartment after 3 years.
And a big thumbs up on the hood struts.
Worth every penny.
And factory sequentials intead of a Mopar Performance Part
add-on option. :4-dontknow:
Nope, clean as ever!
And check out this link to see a good picture by picture diagram of the install!

And just a random tip, while you may not get much water in the scoops from the elements, I certainly wouldn't wash my car (hood specifically) while spraying any water towards the vents. Always go from the opposite angle! :smileup:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info. Guess i could have searched myself but just something I was thinking about while having that morning cup of coffee and cigarette while admiring my beautiful ride and thinking about the summer months in Texas before I ran out for a morning ride around town.

Yes 10 deg less for $90 may not sound like much but when ya thing about outside temp being 100deg+, 10 deg less under the hood can add to better performance and longer engine life. To me, if there is little to no extra dirt/water $90 is well worth it.

Thanks for the info folks, I am sold. gonna have to get a set:smileup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'll x2 the statement about washing towards the vents. I just plug the vent outlets under the hood with some old cotton socks. I leave them in for one small driving session and then remove them. That catches any extra water flowing towards the back of the engine. Works well. Minus 10 degrees is worth it considering that heat=lower performance. Minor maybe but any help is welcome.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Easy install and does keep the engine a bit cooler. I thought this mod was worth it compared to a CAI or TB that does nothing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts