Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Smoke Show 6 speed manual
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Performance tune chip.
Will someone weigh in on why or why not do it ?
Naively asking, what is the word meaning of "tune" after some mods ?
I received the active exhaust delete. And ordering the 180 degree thermostat,
oil catch can and cold air intake. 87mm throttle body and spacer. (recommendations ?)
This kind of work is new to me. Nevertheless, I do want these changes.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,380 Posts
1) Doing these things will likely void your warranty, or at least parts of it.

2) Do some research on what you 'want' to do....will it really do anything for you or your car ? or is it just making your wallet lighter................

3) A throttle body spacer is useless unless you are trying to gain plenum volume, and you don't have anywhere near enough mods or cam to need more volume.

4) oil catch can & CAI are fine,

5) I have yet to hear of any 'performance tune chip' on any make or year car that actually did anything good. Now, you can get a 'tune' put on your car, that will likely increase performance, but it will require more mods than you are doing and risk your warranty. And I'm pretty sure to actually use a 180 deg t-stat you will need one.

6) Not sure why you'd want to delete the active exhaust unless you just want it louder...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Maybe just stick with the delete (yes louder). Oil catch can and CAI. Protection and increase HP.
Using the headlight intake helps too. Is there any brand specifically made to include or fit that part ?

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,380 Posts
CAI isn't gonna increase anything but sound, and to some, it looks better. I have one on mine, but mainly cuz the PO put it on it.........................

If you use a hellcat lower airbox, you can use the intake tube....but the newer cars use a different tube....but I think it still works...............

If you have the old hellcat hood, then a CAI may not be a good idea...as the hood will let water drain right on top of it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm reading that intake can add up to 14 more HP by pushing that air in. NO?
2020 Scat Pack

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,380 Posts
They will say anything to sell product...

No, it won't add HP.......why do you think it says 'can add up to '.....cuz legally it covers there butt.

And there is no 'pushing air in' from a CAI...

Reactions: P.M.F. & PAL

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
389 Posts
Keep in mind there is not really an advantage to a CAI exhaust Sound less then 3 to 5hp pushing it for the cost is a placebo more of looks.
if you had a lot of other mods its then a little different. Other wise save the money...

·
Premium Member
12,543 Posts
My car has been on the Dyno countless times. Exhaust and added nothing to the HP rating. It was right where it should have been. They look and sound good so sure why not I have them both. But if you want to add HP to anything it takes getting into the engine. Hats off to Ma MOPAR they have done a good job getting the HP out of all these engines.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
389 Posts
The Thermostat wont change HP either, always use the OEM Range. Once open your Temp will be the same with a lower one they use a certain Temp Range for a reason.
Not sure why your driven by the changes your seeking you got a 2020 if you alter too much kiss that Warranty Good Bye. You can't just slap an Electronic Tuner to the Car,
your PCM is Locked by Chrysler to prevent Modification. If you change that PCM or send it out get it unlocked again Warranty = Toilet Paper.

The Mods you are wanting to get = Waste of Money!!! The Catch is ok to do but thats about all worth touching you mentioned.

·
Registered
147 Posts
with CAI, Throttle Body, and Good Tune, you will add 25-35 rwhp. Is it worth $1600-$1800? I guess you will have to decide for yourself. I think it is :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
If he has a 2020 the PCM is locked so a cost of an unlocked PCM, then a Shop with Dyno and can tune tack on another 2k
my estimate included everything.
$120 - Hellcat airbox (or CAI for $350)
$415 - Fastman 84 MM Throttle body
$1050 -Diablo Sport Tuner with unlocked PCM
$350 - email tune (Free if you buy the Diablo from Hemifever).

So best case is $1585, worst case is $2165 Total

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
catch can, 150
hellcat airbox 50 (ebay)
mids deleted 100
and you are good to go.
it will be loud, breath and exhale better. until we can all save up for a forged internal or one of those 10 grand hellephants, this is the best it will be. dump some weight out of the car, back seat, stuff in the trunk, and you will lost a couple of hundred pounds, which in old school racing, was good for a couple of tenths, all this being equal.
get some rims [lighter], better tires and you will hook better and less rolling mass. just my two cents.

·
Registered
147 Posts
catch can, 150
hellcat airbox 50 (ebay)
mids deleted 100
and you are good to go.
it will be loud, breath and exhale better. until we can all save up for a forged internal or one of those 10 grand hellephants, this is the best it will be. dump some weight out of the car, back seat, stuff in the trunk, and you will lost a couple of hundred pounds, which in old school racing, was good for a couple of tenths, all this being equal.
get some rims [lighter], better tires and you will hook better and less rolling mass. just my two cents.
Without a tune, it is not the best it can be. :) also, you forgot to add the air tube for the hellcat airbox. When I purchased mine, The damn tube cost more than the lower airbox.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
oh, good point, forgot about the tube. i have to take a pic of that. when i realized that there wasn't a tube, and saw the price of that piece, i found a rubber tube used in plumbing and jerry-rigged one up. is it pretty, nope, but unless i run you over or you stick your head down there, it won't be seen.:rolleyes:🤣
as for the tune, you are correct, but, some people do not have the luxury of losing their warranty. that is why i do not recommend a tune.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts