Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of my preparation for completing at least one lap round the Nurburgring soon, I decided to bring my 2018 SRT for a regular maintenance check- up at the approved Dodge service shop near where I live. Besides, the brakes were squealing at low speed after the snowy winter we just had.

Problem was, I live in Stuttgart. Yes, Germany. The Dodge service mechanics were Jzermans. So they went thru my car like how you'd expect Teutonic mechanics would go thru ANY car. They even wiped clean the UNDERSIDE of my car's floormats! They were shiny. No joke.

I was pretty satisfied.

Until I was handed the bill for €400. Yup, $500.

So I asked, "What up, Germans? You didn't charge me last time I was here. What's this scheisser?"

"Herr Al, you came here in October because the tires were mis-alined, and the steering wheel was not centered, ja? Those were product defects; Dodge was at fault. This time, you needed maintenance. Not covered by warranty. You pay, bitte."

Damn you, precise bastards.

So I paid.

I was a little annoyed, but secure in the knowledge my car can now proceed to the Ring safely.

That's what Herr Fritz assured me anyway. His exact words were, "The car is güt. But I am not sure about you." Then he laughed.

Their sense of humor is underrated.

As it should be.
20190327_175253.jpg 20190327_175110.jpg

·
Premium Member
2018 Challenger RT Scat Pack with Shaker.
1,929 Posts
I am envious. I'd love to try the Nurburgring. Good luck. Let us know how your car does please.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are so lucky, it is one of my biggest dream to have the chance to go around the '' Ring'' at least once in my life.
Cheap flights to Frankfurt if you purchase tickets 45 days in advance. Then rent a car from there, drive to Nurburgring, do a few laps (I think it's €100 for 4 laps), get the 'Ring sticker and the tshirt. Doable in 4 days, seriously.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,870 Posts
Hopefully the engine oil and filter were serviced. The rule is always show up at the "track" with fresh engine oil.

Maybe a bit premature -- but the 'ring is a monster -- but a brake fluid flush/bleed might be a wise precaution. The brakes are going to get pretty darn hot. If the fluid ain't at its best -- has some water build up -- the fluid is going to get plenty hot and boil (water lowers the boiling point of the fluid) and towards the end of your lap you are going to come up on a corner after a high speed straight and apply the brakes only to find there ain't any...

Nicht so güt!

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
Lived in that area for two years and never was able to get a car on that road, so jealous. Good luck, take lots of video!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully the engine oil and filter were serviced. The rule is always show up at the "track" with fresh engine oil.

Maybe a bit premature -- but the 'ring is a monster -- but a brake fluid flush/bleed might be a wise precaution. The brakes are going to get pretty darn hot. If the fluid ain't at its best -- has some water build up -- the fluid is going to get plenty hot and boil (water lowers the boiling point of the fluid) and towards the end of your lap you are going to come up on a corner after a high speed straight and apply the brakes only to find there ain't any...

Nicht so güt!
Good advice. I'm bringing spare brake fluid and coolant for the trip. The German mechanics changed the oil and replaced the filter, and top up all the fluids in my car.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Congratulations and Good Luck! The Ring is no joke (I've driven it many times......on my Play Station 3 :D)!

I'm looking forward to your video and review and Please be Safe! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
12,627 Posts
Still have the video of the SRT Jeep that Chrysler Europe ran on the course. Looking forward to the post with your video!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,870 Posts
Good advice. I'm bringing spare brake fluid and coolant for the trip. The German mechanics changed the oil and replaced the filter, and top up all the fluids in my car.
A video of a Hellcat on the 'ring had the brakes pretty much gone towards the end of the run.

You really should show up with fresh brake fluid in the system, fresh from being bled.

I don't expect the brake fluid level or the coolant level to change unless either system has a leak. If you are having to add fluid to either system in normal use there's a leak and that should be found and fixed *before* you hit the 'ring.

If possible follow your fast lap with a 2nd lap at a reduced speed to give the car's engine/transmission/drive train/brakes a chance to cool down. Trouble is 14 miles is a long cool down lap... But running flat out for 14 miles means everything is going to be very very hot. The car will have a huge heat load to shed.

At least let the engine idle some minutes in the "pits". Turn on the A/C which will have the radiator fan running which should bring the coolant temperature down. Oil temperature might not drop that much though with the car stationary. With my Hellcat I observe the oil temperature comes down when the car is moving. Idling? Not so much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts