Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my brand new '19 Challenger SP 392 WB last May. Twice in recent weeks, while cruising at 85 kph using adaptive cruise, the car suddenly and without warning applied the brakes relatively aggressively for a few seconds. The first time, there was nothing at all ahead of me. The sun had just set but it wasn't completely dark. The road was paved, nothing along the sides or anything. I was travelling in a straight line. There was nothing to set the thing off. The second time, there was a car about 100 meters ahead and a big truck right behind me, almost tailgating. When my car hit the brakes, I was shocked and afraid that the truck would plow into my ass. I hit the gas pedal (a bit too hard) and the car sped back up, but too much, so I immediately took my foot right off the gas. A new problem began, the car would not respond to me taking my foot off the pedal, at least not immediately. The engine continued to race at 4000 rpm for several seconds, then shifted down to 3000 for about 3 seconds, then finally settled down to normal and resumed cruising at 85 kph. I felt like it had a mind of its own and like I had no control. In a car with 485 HP, that's a scary situation.

Both times, the brakes engaged for no apparent reason, the center dash did not show any warning at all (i.e. BRAKE! BRAKE!). It appeared like business as usual. Now that it has happened twice, I'm feeling like I can't trust it.

I would like to know if wonky adaptive cruise behavior is a known issue. Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else? Can anything be done to prevent it? This weird behavior could cause a serious accident.

Bill B.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Until you figure out what happened, I would disable the adaptive cruise control. I have talked to two other owner's, one being a Challenger owner and the other a Charger. They do not like the adaptive cruise control saying it is too sensitive or aggressive.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
In reality adaptive cruise is in its infancy! IMO it’s kinda smart, but more dumb! (whiplash) and for those reasons...I’m out!...and wouldn’t turn it on with a ten foot pole...it’s in our Lexus but thankfully it’s not in the cat

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Until you figure out what happened, I would disable the adaptive cruise control. I have talked to two other owner's, one being a Challenger owner and the other a Charger. They do not like the adaptive cruise control saying it is too sensitive or aggressive.
Thanks for your input. Before the '19 Challenger, I daily drove a '12 Charger SXT-Plus for 7 years. I used the adaptive cruise on that car all the time, every day, and never had an issue. I really liked it. One day, a big flock of crows flew right across the road in front of my and my Charger reacted instantly by braking and sounding the alert "Brake! Brake!" displayed in red. That event impressed me but didn't shock or scare me like the Challenger has done.

I should probably call the dealership where I bought my Challenger and see if they can run a diagnostic or calibration or something.

One thing that used to bother the '12 Charger when running ACC, if a car passed me and then moved over right in front of me, the car would kinda panic and hit the brakes to maintain the proper gap. The '19 Challenger doesn't react like that. It appears to know that the car just passed and is still pulling ahead and that the gap will increase without applying brakes and therefore it doesn't brake at all. I noticed this refinement in the behavior the first week I had the car and I really liked it. Can't say that I like its recent panic attacks though.

Bill B.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check for a recall. The 2018’s had a recall for the adaptive cruse control. Either way you need to have it checked before using again.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Don't have it in the Challenger, but do in my Durango. I DON'T LIKE IT! Someone posted some time ago (maybe here) that a plastic bag was in the road and got stuck in front of the sensor. Well, thankfully there wasn't anyone on the road when the car slammed the brakes and stopped. Also I had ice build up on the REAR sensors and couldn't back-up without shutting off the system or clearing the ice.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
26,169 Posts
Thanks for posting that. I know I never want adaptive cruise control, and you just confirmed it! Sorry for your problem, and I would get rid of it and drive the car without it!!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've used it on mine, and I like it, especially for use on a major highway.

I did have a similar issue once, but I attributed it to a cop that was on the opposite side of the road pointing his radar right at me when it said BRAKE !!

Turned it off and back on, and no more problems so far....................

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my brand new '19 Challenger SP 392 WB last May. Twice in recent weeks, while cruising at 85 kph using adaptive cruise, the car suddenly and without warning applied the brakes relatively aggressively for a few seconds. The first time, there was nothing at all ahead of me. The sun had just set but it wasn't completely dark. The road was paved, nothing along the sides or anything. I was travelling in a straight line. There was nothing to set the thing off. The second time, there was a car about 100 meters ahead and a big truck right behind me, almost tailgating. When my car hit the brakes, I was shocked and afraid that the truck would plow into my ass. I hit the gas pedal (a bit too hard) and the car sped back up, but too much, so I immediately took my foot right off the gas. A new problem began, the car would not respond to me taking my foot off the pedal, at least not immediately. The engine continued to race at 4000 rpm for several seconds, then shifted down to 3000 for about 3 seconds, then finally settled down to normal and resumed cruising at 85 kph. I felt like it had a mind of its own and like I had no control. In a car with 485 HP, that's a scary situation.

Both times, the brakes engaged for no apparent reason, the center dash did not show any warning at all (i.e. BRAKE! BRAKE!). It appeared like business as usual. Now that it has happened twice, I'm feeling like I can't trust it.

I would like to know if wonky adaptive cruise behavior is a known issue. Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else? Can anything be done to prevent it? This weird behavior could cause a serious accident.

Bill B.
Hey there I had the Same issue with the adaptive cruise on my challenger and I brought it to the dealership and there’s a recall on it they fixed it for free.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the responses from everyone. I contacted my dealership where I bought the car and they ran my VIN and said there were no recalls on it. I also submitted my VIN on the Dodge official sites and same result. I've driven the car several more times using the ACC and there has been no further incidents. So, I don't know really what the heck happened but it seems to have either corrected itself or there haven't been the conditions required to make it act up. When it did misbehave, there was no rain or fog or anything. Nothing along the side of the road, no cars pulling off to the right, not driving into the sun, the sense was not dirty, blah blah blah.

I will provide an update on this if anything else happens.

Bill B.

·
Registered
133 Posts
haven't had it happen in my s.p. yet, but in my stinger, if I don't turn off all the granny aids, the car will steer itself to be in the lane I am in and either speed up or brake is a gust of wind blows sideways in front of me. very disconcerting.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got my 2018 used and i registered it on MyMopar.com. When i entered the VIN it showed it had the recall U60/NHTSA 18V-332 which is the cruise control issue that was fixed by the Dealer i got it at. I rarely used the CC but at times i do on long trips but havent tried this one yet.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got my 2018 used and i registered it on MyMopar.com. When i entered the VIN it showed it had the recall U60/NHTSA 18V-332 which is the cruise control issue that was fixed by the Dealer i got it at. I rarely used the CC but at times i do on long trips but havent tried this one yet.
Rayzaa,
If you need any assistance with addressing your recall please send us a private message.

Lamar
DodgeCares

1 - 13 of 13 Posts