Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going to Crestwood Dodge in Garden City, MI for over 3 years now since I first bought my car there to get the oil changed. They would do it for $20 for 7 quarts and a filter which was a really good deal. They always did a good job, never had any issues, was fairly quick, etc.

Recently the owner retired and sold the dealership to Suburban Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. Went back there today to get my oil changed and had a horrible experience.

I pulled into the "quick lube" lane in the garage, got out of my car, and literally stood there for 5-10 minutes before anyone even acknowledged that I was there. Finally some guy came up and logged me into the system for an oil change. He said they'd pull the car back shortly. So I went out and browsed the cars on the lot like I always do. Then I called my dad and talked to him for a bit.

Came back about 20-25 minutes later, my car still hasn't even been moved! So I call my wife and talk to her for a while and walk around, another 10 minutes. I go back to the garage, still hasn't been moved!

Then I see some kid getting into my car to move it. He gets in it, stalls it, then tries again, and stalls it again. He gets out and I come up to him and say, would you like me to move it for you? Uh no sir that's okay. So then some other guy comes out and pulls it out of the garage and onto the side of the building.

Now another 10 minutes later, it's still sitting there! :4-dontknow: I go back to the service desk and say what the hell is going on here? Since when does it take 40 minutes to even move my car to get an oil change? What's the deal? I don't want to spend all night here, what's going on? Well sir we've got a couple ahead of you and then we'll get to your car, we'll pull it around momentarily.

Another 5-10 minutes goes by, still sitting there, nothing has even happened yet! So I walk back to the service desk and say give me my keys, I'm leaving, this is pathetic. The guy gave me my keys and I drove off. :smiledown:

What a total joke! I was there probably 45 minutes and they didn't even pull my car back there yet! I'd probably still be there now if I had waited!

Goes to show you that when a place changes ownership, it can go down the tubes.

So now I'm going to just change it myself. I called around to other dealers and they all want $38. I can change it myself for $38. I have the ramps, jack, tools, space, etc. It was just convenient to go there for $20 and have someone else do it and they always did a good job and fast. Not anymore though.

So I'll be joining the ranks of you do-it-yourselfers again. I always changed the oil in my old S-10 pickup and still change the oil in my Nova, so I guess I'll just do it myself. :smileup:

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
How do you get 7 quarts of oil, a filter and the labor for $20? That's an insanely low price. Even $38 is a great deal.

·
Premium Member
9,143 Posts
How do you get 7 quarts of oil, a filter and the labor for $20? That's an insanely low price. Even $38 is a great deal.
REALLY!!!...There is no way I can get a good filter and 5 quarts for that much doing it myself unless I get the cheepest no name oil (?) for that much!!:4-dontknow:
Like Zepplin said....ooouuu and it makes me wonder....LOL

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It was a deal I got when I bought the car there at the dealership. Actually it was $20 and then every fourth oil change was free! It was some sort of offer they had at the time when I bought my car. They used Quaker State conventional oil and a Mopar filter. I asked them once since I suspected it was a cheap brand as well. Quaker State isn't my first choice, but it's a good oil and for $20 it was a good deal while it lasted. Once the dealership changed hands, it went downhill from there.

Just went to the auto parts store and picked up 7 quarts of Valvoline conventional 5W-20 and a Wix oil filter for $34. Going to change the oil this weekend.

Also picked up 5 quarts of Castrol GTX 20W-50 and a Wix oil filter for my Nova. Hopefully I can knock out both cars this weekend!

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,112 Posts
Very nice post Hemimetal! I also think you had a great dear there Carl! Wow $20 is super cheap. I wish I was able to do if myself! I have been getting pretty good service so far, so we shall see how it is when I change to synthetic next time!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
The first oil change that the dealer did ended up with a leaky oil filter.
So I purchased a set of race ramps and have the peace of mind that is's done correctly. Plus I get to choose the oil I use. So far Valvoline Sync. seems to run the best for me.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
I never take my Challenger to the dealer. I buy Royal Purple by the case off Amazon and put the car up on a lift for easy access. I don't let anyone work on my car. Free shipping and buying a case I pay around $7.50 qt. Then I know the job was done properly.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,050 Posts
X2 on the FUMOTO oil drain valve (p/nF106N). Installed it at my first oil change, never had a mess ever again!!
I'm thinking about getting one even though I don't change my own oil. But it's a good way to make sure that some green wrench-monkey won't strip the drain-plug threads on your oil pan.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Regardless of cost. It'll definitely make you feel better doing it yourself. I'm doing all my own now.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Well now you guys got me thinking. I go to the dealer to change my oil. They use Mobile 1 syntetic oil and they charge me $14.95 (Canadian) a quart plus $10.00 filter. Does this mean that Mobile 1 oil is a cheap oil???? Also where do you get this FUMOTO oil drain valve.

·
Premium Member
9,143 Posts
Well now you guys got me thinking. I go to the dealer to change my oil. They use Mobile 1 syntetic oil and they charge me $14.95 (Canadian) a quart plus $10.00 filter. Does this mean that Mobile 1 oil is a cheap oil???? Also where do you get this FUMOTO oil drain valve.
I know the prices are higher in Canada and all but useing your figures that's over 100 bucks for the oil alone without any filter or labor....a LOOOOONG way from 20 to 40 bucks total for everything that I'm hearing on this thread that's making me wonder. JMO but the Mobil 1 full synthetic is a very good oil at a good price...of course there are better...but there are a WHOLE lot worse!!:smileup:

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know everyone likes synthetic oils, but my last truck had 150,000 miles on it with Valvoline conventional oil and AC Delco filter and the engine still ran great and looked clean inside when we popped the intake off to replace the gaskets. Much cheaper too.

What is your guys' arguments for paying substantially more for synthetic? Not trying to start a fire, just curious as your guys' findings?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.