Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for my regular oil change today in Rapid City. Beautiful day, nice drive.
Walked into the shop office and gave them the keys. A few minutes later the service manager comes over and says that I can get oil changes for $68.85 plus the additional cost of $7.10 for two additional quarts. Think that is a good deal? Well it is because that is the total I paid for four more oil changes! I asked him why they would do that. He said they want to keep me coming back and lock in my customer service. I didn't think I could go wrong with that. So next time I will pay $7.10 for two additional quarts of oil.
They also advised that my air filter needed changed. Would that be normal at 17,000 miles. I went ahead and had it changed.
A fun day, and the country is greening up so nicely here. 92 degrees today!!

·
Premium Member
18,477 Posts
Betty - are they using blended or fully synthetic oil ? As a reference, my last two oil changes using the blended oil have cost around $ 55. This price reflects a $10 - $12 discount applied by the dealer.
As far as the filter it really depends on driving conditions. If you drive in dusty conditions it wouldn't be abnormal to change out the filter at 17 k miles.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
ya...tough call. I'm all about full synthetic and my last change was $110! 17,000 miles on an air filter sounds a little sketchy to me....unless you are really driving in a lot of dirt and gravel roads.

·
Registered
275 Posts
the dealer i go to(bettenhausen dodge ) has a special, 80.00 for 4 oil changes,yes its only blended oil(penzoil),that comes out to 20.00 an oil change,cant beat that price

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,530 Posts
Betty, if you're happy with it, go for it. You certainly can't beat the price. As far as needing an air filter, you should always ask to see it and react accordingly. Living on a fram and rural back roads, it is very possible you did need one. You may want to consider a K&N or similar cleanable air filter. Keep a paper filter around for use when you clean the filter.

I like to have more control over the oil that goes into my vehicles. I have just had VERY good luck with engine lasting a long time by paying attention to the oil I put in them(in my opinion). I watch the auto parts stores(Advance, Auto Zone, O'Rielly's) for their Oil Change specials. As an example, I just bought 6 oil changes this last month(5 quarts Valvoline Full Syn, Fram Ultra Synthetic Filter) for $34.74 with tax each. But on top of those I will get a cash back gift card for $10.00 and a $2.00 rebate on the filter, which brings material cost to $22.74. These will be used in my wife's Jeep Liberty and my Ram Hemi. Now, this month's special is 5 quarts of Royal Purple and a K&N filter for $39.99, which I use in the Challenger. Retail is $63.95 for that special, so you can bet I'll stock up there too.

I also have an independent garage owner I've known since high school who changes my oil, if I don't have time to do it myself. He does a full check over of the brakes, suspension, fluids and filters and allows me to get under the lift with him to look things over. He uses the spent oil for his own recycled oil heater, so he doesn't charge me for oil disposal, which a lot of garages do. He also knows how picky I am about my cars and treats them accordingly. His oil change lift is a driveon lift so there is no using the lift points to possibly damage the rocker panels. Hand tools, no air tools on oil changes. His charge for the service when you supply o/f is $15.00 per change.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread here.

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses guys!! I need all the information you give me! I like the price they gave me for the oil changes. I really have to depend on my dealer for service, so I want to make sure they don't try to take advantage in any way. They have done a pretty good job so far, and take very good care of my car.
Dan, no way you hijacked my thread. I am always interested in how everyone does things in their own state/area. Thanks for the help!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,670 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys!! I need all the information you give me! I like the price they gave me for the oil changes. I really have to depend on my dealer for service, so I want to make sure they don't try to take advantage in any way. They have done a pretty good job so far, and take very good care of my car.
Dan, no way you hijacked my thread. I am always interested in how everyone does things in their own state/area. Thanks for the help!
Betty I do the air filter once a year but as you know it can be really dusty here.I change the oil every 3-4000 miles and use full synthetic mobil one the labor I do, the oil and filter runs me about $45.00.

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Betty I do the air filter once a year but as you know it can be really dusty here.I change the oil every 3-4000 miles and use full synthetic mobil one the labor I do, the oil and filter runs me about $45.00.
Thanks for the info Corbin. I am glad it wouldn't be unusual to change that air filter. I do have dust around here, maybe not quite as much as you, but really close! I also change my oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles!

·
Administrator
53,670 Posts
Thanks for the info Corbin. I am glad it wouldn't be unusual to change that air filter. I do have dust around here, maybe not quite as much as you, but really close! I also change my oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles!
The other thing to change is the cabin air filter if your car has one. It is easy to change and they are usually around $10.00 +- at the dealer.

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The other thing to change is the cabin air filter if your car has one. It is easy to change and they are usually around $10.00 +- at the dealer.
Thanks, I meant to ask them about that when I was there, but this old lady forgot!! I will definitely get that done, good thing I have people to remind me!

·
Administrator
53,670 Posts
I know what you mean about the forgot stuff LOL

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thats a great deal, no brainer and yes I would buy a K&N that you can clean once a year at about the same price as a paper one, think I got mine on amazon for under 40 bucks.

Oil discussion always turns into a war lol, I truly believe if you change it every 3-5k miles your engine won't know the difference, keeping it changed is the main thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts