Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,
I purchased a 2012 Challenger RT in September of 2012, Car has about 800 miles on it as of right now, I have never changed the oil. I know the oil companys always say 3 months or 3k miles, I guess thats changed to 5K now but what ever. I plan on putting in Royal Purple when I change it. I guess my question is should I change this spring when I pull it out, Oil still looks new

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
I did my first oil change at 1,000 miles just because. I switched from conventional to Synthetic oil at about 6,000 miles. I also went with synthetic in my transmission and rear end. Some owners with the R/Ts switch over immediately to synthetic and some use conventional or blend oils. The SRTs engines are synthetic from the factory.

·
Premium Member
20,471 Posts
The owners manual states to change the oil every 6,000 miles or 6 months. Since I don't put more that 5,000 miles on it per year,I change the oil every 6 months.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Same here, I only put about 5k a year so the oil gets changed every six months.
Part of the problem is that over time oil builds up moisture, even though it still looks good. I would change it between 4k and 5k if you rack the mileage up pretty quick. Otherwise you can go up to six months.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
I change my Royal Purple once per year. I don't put over 3k per year though. Moisture is not a concern. You can go longer than 6 months if you don't put over 5k on it.

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,087 Posts
Can tell me what size of socket do i use to remove the filter cap on a 2011 challenger?
Different companies have different styles to choose from. Your best bet is to take the filter you'll be using and match it up. Make sure the socket has the same amount of flutes as the filter and you'll be alright.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I changed mine to Royal Purple right around 5,000 miles. She is slowly coming up to 10k (probably be April) and I'm going to do an oil change. Kind of excited to see how it's gonna look. Still feels weird waiting so long though, guess I'm still used to the every 3k mark.

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,093 Posts
I changed mine to Royal Purple right around 5,000 miles. She is slowly coming up to 10k (probably be April) and I'm going to do an oil change. Kind of excited to see how it's gonna look. Still feels weird waiting so long though, guess I'm still used to the every 3k mark.
I know what you are saying, I have been changing mine every 3,000. I have four free oil changes that came with my deal on the car. Next month will be my last one. I have a little over 12,000 miles on her. I want to change to Royal Purple or Mobil 1. Is it okay to change over from regular oil after that many miles? Probably will wait to 15,000 miles to do this.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I know what you are saying, I have been changing mine every 3,000. I have four free oil changes that came with my deal on the car. Next month will be my last one. I have a little over 12,000 miles on her. I want to change to Royal Purple or Mobil 1. Is it okay to change over from regular oil after that many miles? Probably will wait to 15,000 miles to do this.
I would say you would be safe going ahead and switching. In doing the research for mine I found that several members changed their oil pretty quickly, some less than 5,000 miles because of the "break in" period of the engine citing concern for normal engine wear and tear adding additional shavings and what not to the oil. The only reason I waited till 5k to change my oil was because I was waiting on the oil change light to come on and by 5,000 it still hadn't but I didn't want to wait any longer. A lot of people favor the full synthetic, Royal Purple and Mobil 1 being some of the favorites. :smileup:

After I changed the oil I took it to the dealer down here to get the tires rotated and he said if I wanted to get my oil changed to synthetic they would gladly do it on the next go round at 10k and quoted me around $90 to do so.

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,887 Posts
I have a little over 12,000 miles on her. I want to change to Royal Purple or Mobil 1. Is it okay to change over from regular oil after that many miles?
I would say you would be safe going ahead and switching.
Betty, Dave is correct. You can change over safely on those miles. RP or Mobil 1 are great choices...just make sure you use the proper viscosity per your owners manual.

:smileup:

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
There was a thread a while back which discussed this and several guys switched from Mobil 1 to Penzoil full syn and had less engine noise they said so I have since gone to Penzoil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.