Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I had the beast in the body shop to deal with some scratches I picked up somewhere. The dual side stripes had to come off the r/s to get it done. I was never a big fan of the stripes so I paid a bit extra to get them off the l/s as well. I love the new clean look of my ride! Dealing with the scratch issue was a blessing in disguise other than making my wallet a little lighter. This shop did a great job.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Those had to some deep scratches to have to remove the stripe. Were they thru the stripe itself?
Pics of the new look to when you get time:smileup:

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
The center of the side stripes is exposed paint, so if the scratch happened there it makes sense they would have to remove the stripes. Or if the scratch was too close to the edge of one of the stripes. Either way, glad it worked out for you, Jedi!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat, 6 Speed Manual
1,103 Posts
I removed the fender hash stripe from mine last week going for cleaner look as well. I was never a fan of the giant RT lettering. Thinking of adding a classic "Challenger" side badge on fender. My detailer did an excellent job of removing them. He was a little skeptical at first in that the paint might faded around them, but it hadn't as so you could never tell.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Those had to some deep scratches to have to remove the stripe. Were they thru the stripe itself?
Pics of the new look to when you get time:smileup:
Actually the scratches were not in that close to the stripes BUT, to do a proper "blend in", the entire rt/rear qtr. panel and the door had to be done which is the right way to do it. Thus, begone stripes! Will post pics when I have a chance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Was wondering if I could do this myself. I too don't like the giant R/T decals on the fender and would like to remove them as well as the hashes. I have a 2014 and don't think it would be a problem removing them and then waxing the area. Any suggestions? :4-dontknow:

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Was wondering if I could do this myself. I too don't like the giant R/T decals on the fender and would like to remove them as well as the hashes. I have a 2014 and don't think it would be a problem removing them and then waxing the area. Any suggestions? :4-dontknow:
With your car being new it shouldn't be a problem at all. Use a heat gun or blow dryer to soften up the first 1/2 inch and then use a plastic razor blade

or credit card to get it started. You'll want to peek it back over itself to avoid ripping it. Go slow and keep readjusting your grip to be close to the paint.

Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is really simple to do; was the first thing I did when I got my 2013 home from the dealer.
No need for anything other than a hair dryer and your fingernail to get an edge started. Take your time heat the stripe ahead of the peeling edge, you'll get a feel for the right temperature to get it all. Some areas of residue were left on mine, a little rubbing alcohol and 99.9% was gone. There were 2 areas where I needed to polish the paint but I think those were paint flaws not stripe residue.
Follow that with a light clay bar over the whole car and then your normal seal/wax regime.
The no-stripe look on my white R/T is heads-up better than the Classic stripes it came with. The lovely curves of these cars always look more elegant and sensual w/o stripes, IMO.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Elegant is right! That's how my Challenger looks now. Some may disagree but I think it beats the cool factor hands down.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I bought my RT it had mat black stripes down the sides of my black chally. I decided to try red against the black and love it. But..., back on topic. The original black stripes came off easily simply by using my finger nail to pick at a corner and then I just peeled them off. My car was pretty new so color fade was not a concern for me.

·
Registered
640 Posts
One word of warning about removing any stripes. I had my side stripes removed from my RT when I first bought the car. It took me a few days to notice it, but the stripes had actually 'ghosted' (for lack of a better term) onto the paint. In certain light I could still see the outline of the stripes. It wasn't horrible and I was probably the only one that looked closely enough at the car to notice it, but it annoyed me to know it was there.

I should mention I live in Las Vegas where the sun is absolutely brutal. I bought the car in September of 12 so it had been sitting outside in the blistering Vegas sun for at least 3-4 months. I am sure that played into it quite a bit.

After two years, the 'ghosting' is not nearly as visible as it was in the past.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I,ve often thought about adding a stipe kit to my 12 R/T . But I just cant bring myself to covering up that beautiful blue paint ,,,,,, man when the sun hits it its the most beautiful color I,ve ever seen . BooBoo

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I,ve often thought about adding a stipe kit to my 12 R/T . But I just cant bring myself to covering up that beautiful blue paint ,,,,,, man when the sun hits it its the most beautiful color I,ve ever seen . BooBoo
Absolutely do not do the stripes. I bought a preowned 2012 SXT with the dual side stripes. They came off on one side for some necessary refinishing- got some scratches that could not be buffed out. I took one look and asked the shop to remove the stripes from the driver's side. The cool factor of stripes is overrated. The car looks SPECTACULAR!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Absolutely do not do the stripes. I bought a preowned 2012 SXT with the dual side stripes. They came off on one side for some necessary refinishing- got some scratches that could not be buffed out. I took one look and asked the shop to remove the stripes from the driver's side. The cool factor of stripes is overrated. The car looks SPECTACULAR!!
Thanks for the heads up . Got to admit I wasn't 100% sure about not going with the stripes , but the more I hear I'll probley be leaving it as is . Thanks . BooBoo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts