Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I brought my car to my trusted mechanic, and told him to do whatever the car needs at 30K, so we talked about..oil.........front end alinement, rear axle oil, rotate tires, check brakes, check cabin filter...so I go to pick up my car and see the charge for $59 for the cabin filter, he says, yeah I thought that was high to, so he didnt charge to install it, he goes, he could not find any after market ones cheap.
to this morning I go on ebay and see tons of them for our cars at around 11 bucks with free shipping...........what do you think I should do?

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Well, you already have the $59 one installed and you did have your mechanic hunt the part down (probably at a local dealer), so I doubt anything more can be done about that.

I'd buy a few off e-bay and keep them handy. That's a user servicable part so there's no need to have yur mechanic change the filter for you.

Count this one as lesson learned and move on.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,005 Posts
I purchased the entire cabin filter assembly from the dealer for that. The 2010 Challengers didn't come with cabin filters. All I had to do was purchase the cabin filter assembly for the 2010 Charger, & about 3 hours to install. Any auto store should have your filter for about $12.00. I'd print out the internet advertisement and show it to your mechanic. Hopefully you'll get a refund, or at least a shop credit for future work on your car.--(that's if you trust his service--otherwise, find a new shop)--JMO

FYI---next time change the cabin filter yourself--takes about 3 minutes.--:D

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
Hindsight is 20-20. You didn't know. It's installed and they waived the install charge. I agree to let it go. It should take you a while to get to 60k and at that time you can install the $11 one (think $59 + $11 = $70/2 = $35). Your getting back some of the cash if you put a positive spin on it.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,410 Posts
Hey guys, a question on this cabin filter. My owners manual says to replace at 30,000 miles or three years, whichever is first. However, I just looked at the Challenger Tips & Tricks online source and it says 12,000 miles. Which is right? I have never had a car with a cabin filter before.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,476 Posts
Hey guys, a question on this cabin filter. My owners manual says to replace at 30,000 miles or three years, whichever is first. However, I just looked at the Challenger Tips & Tricks online source and it says 12,000 miles. Which is right? I have never had a car with a cabin filter before.
Betty, I'd say it's a common sense thing here. Keep an eye on it to see if it is getting brown/gray/black/green. The more dusty and dirty the air is, the more it needs to be changed. BTW, one came into te store the other day that was Dark Gray and Fuzzy. Yes, I sold him a new one, time to change that one!

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,675 Posts
Your mechanic likely didn't go on eBay, he went to websites of suppliers with which his shop has accounts. If you have a good relationship with your trusted mechanic, I would let it go but, lesson learned, buy your own cabin filter for the next service.

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,410 Posts
Dan, I would like to go to your store, so you could wait on me! Know for sure I would get good service and the right parts!! Plus all the good visiting!

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,476 Posts
Dan, I would like to go to your store, so you could wait on me! Know for sure I would get good service and the right parts!! Plus all the good visiting!
Betty, I would come in on my day off just to wait on you!

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I don't know your mechanic but I'd guess his cost on the filter was no more than $15 and charged you retail. Easy pick up of some margin on parts right there...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lesson learned. Always price check before having work done. I personally want a detailed estimate before any work begins.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Hindsight is 20-20. You didn't know. It's installed and they waived the install charge. I agree to let it go. It should take you a while to get to 60k and at that time you can install the $11 one (think $59 + $11 = $70/2 = $35). Your getting back some of the cash if you put a positive spin on it.
Really good point, that's how I would look at it :smileup:

Good that he didn't charge you for the install though turbomangt!

·
Registered
738 Posts
My car has 12k and I opened the cover ,but I did not remove the filter to get a closer look, How does it go in? is it just a friction fit? did not see how it stays where it does. Also the access door is not that big, seems like it would be a pita to even slip it though the opening...

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,410 Posts
My car has 12k and I opened the cover ,but I did not remove the filter to get a closer look, How does it go in? is it just a friction fit? did not see how it stays where it does. Also the access door is not that big, seems like it would be a pita to even slip it though the opening...
X2, same question.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well, the good news here is he didn't order the cheap one from EBay, or you would still be waiting for it. Always do your homework first and get an estimate.

Labor costs are subjective. My grandfather always used to say "It's not the cost of the 5 cent fuse, but knowing which one to replace".

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,675 Posts
OK, even on the Mopar E-Store, the part lists for $12.85. TMGT, please disregard my previous comment. I would certainly ask my service manager or mechanic about the disparity in price.

$59 makes sense if they replaced 4 cabin filters, but not one.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
I've kind of always went with the thought that the cabin filter was kind of a waste of money unless you drive lots of miles and the windows are always up! if it doesn't smell in the car...why woulf you change it????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts