Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of those things that you question, why?

Engine performing great all summer no issues. The other day I took it in for an oil change, I stayed with the car, everything normal on return and parked it.

Take it out today, like there is no torque, lots of RPM it screams but can't even spin the tires in 2nd, like I am standing still.

No codes, running octane 94, everything seems normal.

If the oil change fellow disconnected the battery, don't know why he would, could that have reset something?

It just doesn't make sense. Normally when I put it in Sport mode, no ESC and grinding it I have a hard time to keep it on the road. This time not even a little spin.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,323 Posts
Lots of rpm no go, sounds like the clutch.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Emergency Brake on? Bad Fuel ? Wrong Oil type and or weight?
All good ones thanks

Emerg on - possible but I should see the red indicator light on?
Bad Fuel - on same tank when things were fine
Oil Type - Trusted oil guy I use Penzoil 0-40. Oil pressure good too.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah could of burned clutch out if heavy driving, burnouts, etc., or its in limp mode.bad drive shaft ?
Nope never done any of those things, you might say I babied the car all its life. low mileage
No codes on the dash. Maybe the shaft is about to go? Had that happen once on another car I had.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Engine performing great all summer no issues. The other day I took it in for an oil change, I stayed with the car, everything normal on return and parked it.

Take it out today, like there is no torque, lots of RPM it screams but can't even spin the tires in 2nd, like I am standing still.

If the oil change fellow disconnected the battery, don't know why he would, could that have reset something?

It just doesn't make sense. Normally when I put it in Sport mode, no ESC and grinding it I have a hard time to keep it on the road. This time not even a little spin.

Thoughts?
Could somehow the PCM goes into re-learn mode? Or could the Sport Mode not be engaging?

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Roll along in 5th gear about 30 MPH. Smash the gas to the floor. Does the engine flare? Meaning, an increase in RPM but the car barely moves any faster. This means clutch is gonzo. If the engine just stays around the same RPM and the car accelerates, the clutch is probably OK.
-John

·
Administrator
56,323 Posts
I was afraid of that one, but the engine only has 13,500 KMS, 8400 Miles, never raced. Still have 5yr power train warranty.
Well if it is the driveshaft you a covered under warranty, the clutch no, only 12,000 mile or 12 months whichever comes first.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thoughts?
Well it calls for another drive tomorrow for sure. I have always driven on the same route for years and know how the car performs on each hill, incline and curve. You know those spots that you always spin at.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well if it is the driveshaft you a covered under warranty, the clutch no, only 12,000 mile or 12 months whichever comes first.
Great I didn't know that. If it is that I hope there will be some good will. Would it be the same in Canada?

·
Administrator
56,323 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roll along in 5th gear about 30 MPH. Smash the gas to the floor. Does the engine flare? Meaning, an increase in RPM but the car barely moves any faster. This means clutch is gonzo. If the engine just stays around the same RPM and the car accelerates, the clutch is probably OK.
-John
Thank you! I will definitively try this tomorrow

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,018 Posts
Nope never done any of those things, you might say I babied the car all its life. low mileage
No codes on the dash. Maybe the shaft is about to go? Had that happen once on another car I had.
Hate to bring this up but "but can't even spin the tires in 2nd" and "You know those spots that you always spin at" suggests the car doesn't get as babied as you claim...

I'm with others who offer up the clutch as being the culprit. Well, the driver is the culprit, the clutch is the victim...

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T SP WB M6
112 Posts
The clutch is covered at all?

·
Administrator
56,323 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you! I will definitively try this tomorrow
[/QUO
-John
Hi, as you suggested I did try it a few times, and no flare up! The engine labored a bit and the RPMs moved up ever so slow.

Driving it seemed to be fine but can never seem to replicate what I had done before. You know if you are doing a normal shift to 2nd and you give it a bit more gas and it spins a little bit. Just that these engines have so much torque I expect it to do it every time. But there has been a great change in temperature and humidity here. Higher than normal temperatures for this time of year and an average outdoor humidity of >95% without rain.

The only thing I can think of that it may have been is that Sport Mode was not engaged even though it indicated that it was on. You know when you engage Sport Mode while driving and you get that surge.

Thanks for everyone's advice and comments. We are well supported on the site.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts