Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Taking delivery of a brand new 2019 Challenger Shaker 6/1/20. So I thought I’d start off my first thread with some background about how and why I got it.

I’m a long time Chevy man. However, Mopar was in and out of my life especially during my teen years. In high school my girl friend had a 1973 canary yellow Roadrunner 318 V-8 that I had several adventures in. Including out running a Georgia Highway Patrol in it. A story for another time Also, I can remember my dad bringing home a car one day he was interested in buying but my mom sent him back to the dealer in about one minute because it was orange and had this “god awful wing on the trunk” and there was no way she was driving a 4 speed. Yea, it was a Hemi Superbird. Oh well, fast forward.

In 2018 after we raised 3 great kids and working 36 years at a university I retire and it’s time for me to get the car I always wanted. My dream car! After due diligence I get shipped to me a brand new 2019 Chevrolet Grand Sport Vette. Long Beach red, M7, 2LT, loaded $76k. I’m in heaven. This thing will fly and it turns heads. I join the local Vette club and settle into what should be a long relationship. BUT I still have an itch I can’t scratch.

Sidebar: 2017 I traded in a Chevy Silverado 4WD LTZ 3LT on a Ram 1500 Laramie.

Back to the itch. I love the Vette but I can’t drive it. To many miles will hurt a Vettes value, can’t drive it in the rain, have to park it away from other cars, inclines and high curbs make the front spoiler scrap, getting in a out is interesting, you get the idea. I was an obsessed Vette owner worried about value and looks and not really enjoy the car and driving it! My 27 year old son put it best, “Dad, it’s a dessert that you can’t eat that often. To rich to many calories. You’re a meat and potatoes guy!”. He was right I needed a car I could enjoy, that looked great and was high performance.

I break the news to my wife I’m dumping my Vette (ouch) and begin my quest. I look at Mustangs, but my wife has a 2015 GT convertible. Camaro's, no way Chevy ruined them. Not getting an import. Then it hits me, remember that RAM. I LOVE it. What a great truck!! So glad I traded my Silverado and the 5.7 is awesome.

Hey why not look at a Challenger? Hemi, Hellcat, Demon, SRT, R/T. They fit the bill. Plus.....a back seat and they have a trunk!!

I begin my research and looks at dozens of car across the Southeast. I’m drawn to the 392 and a 2019 model due to rebates and incentives. Finally I locate a brand new 2019 Challenger Shaker 5.7 A8 “loaded” $10K off MSRP only 30 mile away in a small town dealership. Close to what I wanted. So, I go and test drive it (in the rain 🙂) and you guessed it I love it. It has a great sound, just enough HP, looks, style, a 5.7 that I love, sunroof, 500watt radio,etc. So back to the start of this thread.

Taking delivery of a brand new 2019 Challenger Shaker 6/1/20! Thanks for reading hope it wasn’t to long.

PS - My wife loves the car...
PSS - Im trading in the Vette and got a great deal. After all it was almost brand new never driven😉

·
What's Old is New Again!
35,901 Posts
Hello from Strasburg, VA

Hello and Welcome to ChallengerForumZ from the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Enjoy your Ride and the Site! You'll find some knowledgeable and friendly people to answer your questions or just entertain you. Glad you could join us!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
welcome from ny , nice story

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Welcome from Fredericksburg, VA. You will not regret the decision...okay except maybe wanting to get the Hellcat or 392 later.

·
Registered
468 Posts
welcome from south florida. great story. pls post some pics when you take delivery so we can all join in on your happiness. damn, I am getting mellow in my old age.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Welcome from RI. Can't beat the deals on leftovers if you can find the right one. My wife and I found two and grabbed them!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Nice story. Welcome. I waited for retirement to buy dream car. I knew if I got it while working I would just run it into the ground. I feel like I did in the 70's with my Road Runner. Dodge did a great job recreating the muscle car experience. Of the big 3, Dodge did it best. You will be amazed with the 8 speed auto. best part of my T/A IMO. Trust me on this, start your car for the first time, push the sport button, and NEVER drive without it again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts