Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2014 Shaker. I don't like the color matching grill surround so I want to replace it with a chrome one. First how difficult is it to get off without damaging it? I want to keep all oem parts I replace. Second does anyone out there have a chrome one they would like to get rid of?

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Some folks have had success removing the grill surround without removing the nose section of the car. There are a series of tabs on the top and bottom of the grill surround that lock into the assembly. With careful prying using a small screwdriver you may be able to release the tabs to remove it without damage. Most peopel say that a few tabs get broken during the process. The new one snaps in easy.

If you choose to remove the nose here's the "how to"......that's probably the best bet if you want to preserve the OEM surround without damage.

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showpost.php?p=152733&postcount=4

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I just sold my black chrome grill insert a a fellow member. You need to know where the tabs are from the stock one to remove them. I did remove the stock one without removing the front end. Most of the tabs did break on me. Thr new will will
Pop into place with ease

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Opposite of what I am doing. LOL I am taking mine off to paint match body color. If someone has a pic of the backside showing where the tabs are located it would be helpful to those of us wanting to remove ours. How many are there total, and how many each side etc.? Are they pushed in and bent over, or simply push in and catch?

·
Registered
243 Posts
There's 12 total, 6 each top and bottom. It's pretty easy to spot the tabs when you get down and look. I can get a pick of the instructions when I get home this evening if they haven't already been posted by then.

I tried the route of removing mine from the front using butter knives. Got the top off no problem, but canted down I couldn't get to the bottom tabs. I eventually said "eff it, I'm not reusing it" and broke it out.

They are push in and catch.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
There's 12 total, 6 each top and bottom. It's pretty easy to spot the tabs when you get down and look. I can get a pick of the instructions when I get home this evening if they haven't already been posted by then.

I tried the route of removing mine from the front using butter knives. Got the top off no problem, but canted down I couldn't get to the bottom tabs. I eventually said "eff it, I'm not reusing it" and broke it out.

They are push in and catch.
WOW, great info incredibly helpful! Thank you! Reps for that!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be nice to get some pictures if possible. I really don't want to break any tabs. I plan on keeping my car for along long time but I am getting older and whomever gets my beauty will have all the original stuff

·
Registered
243 Posts
Here is the instruction page detailing the removal of the original surround. The arrows in the upper right image highlight the tabs (note that this is from the backside). The removal calls for the breaking of the tabs, but the retaining plastic is resilient enough that you can pry them out without breaking the tabs ... if you have the patience that I don't ;)

Just noticed on the front page of the instructions:

Instructions said:
THIS ACCESSORY WILL REQUIRE EIGHT 1/4" RIVETS (2 PACKS OF PN 6504737 RIVET - PLASTIC) AND A RIVET GUN TO INSTALL WHICH ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THIS KIT. DO NOT INSTALL THIS ACCESSORY WIHTOUT RIVETS AND RIVET GUN.
Apparently the splash shields in the front of the wheel wells are secured to the fascia and fender with plastic rivets...

If you do try and remove the surround from the front as I did and wish to retain the original part, I'd work from left to right (or right to left), prying out top and bottom at the same time, rather than my approach of undoing the top first and then the bottom. It may have worked if I did the bottom first, but I don't have a lot of faith in that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Well that is interesting. They tell you to toss it away! LOL They can't even make a part that can be removed and reinstalled? Wow, that is pretty sad...

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
That's exactly what I did yesterday...thought I could get the stock one out to be able to paint it and maybe reuse it. After some frustrating attempts at pushing the tabs back, I said screw it and broke them all off. :4-dontknow:

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
I also want to buy a black one. So not worried about breaking tabs. Without looking at it yet, as I leave for work at 5 am and get home at 9 pm right now (every day). How do you get the pieces out, that break off? My OCD will not allow me to leave them in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have replaced two with out breaking the tabs. If you take your time with the following you can to, very simple.
1) A good thick tape from bumpers edge all the way into the grill for protection
2) Locate location of tabs and with a mallet, bump butter knifes into and over the tabs
leaving butter knife in place, repeat for each tab.
3) Grill now looks like a pin cushion, wiggle each knife to asure all tabs are pushed in.
4) Wiggle the knifes again.
5) Take a cloth and cover the inside and outside of the grill surround ( on the left side or right) and pinch the hell out of it with a set of pliers
6) Give a quick and solid tug and wha-la. Come to think of it, last one I also laid a towel over the bumper for protection as the butter knifes will fall on their own.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Removed!!

:smileup: It took about an hour and I managed to break off all the tabs. I'm looking for a black surround anyway. But thanks to this thread and links here, I did exactly what I set out to do, remove it. Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,539 Posts
i guess I am with the, body color crowd. I really like my PCP grill... but to each his own that is what is so great about these cars...as long as you don't put a Rams Head on...

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
^X2. These buggers are strong. I already had the front end off to work on my fog lamp halos. So took the opportunity. I could not get them out without breaking them. Speaking for myself. Mine was in there very very tight. So, had to break them. Or maybe I didn't but I had a new color matched one going in, so I just didn't care about the old one enough to take that much time and effort to get it out whole. LOL.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Surround color

I went the lazy route. Masked and painted on the car which was actually easy since I removed the grating a year ago or so. Just didn't like the chrome look and it was not done very well from factory and had areas that the chrome plating was degrading due to too thin of a coating. Came out ok but an investment in time to mask and paper the area. Good luck whichever route you take. Manufactured chrome or paint will likely last longer than hand sprayed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I paid about $150 for a black grill surround for my 2012 SRT. I gave up and had the dealer install it for me. They removed the front clip. If you want my chrome one I'll sell it for $100 plus shipping. Send me a message.

Cheers

burly bob

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
Just throwing this out there. If they didn't make the tolerances on those clips so tight, the grill surround would rattle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts