Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wife got me some halos from aac for Christmas. installed them and one of them ended up having a blue shade to it. for any of you that have done that mod you know what kind of hell that is to split the housings. so I emailed aac and sent them a picture. they offered a replacement set and a nominal gift certificate for my trouble. anyway not real happy but ended up replacing them yesterday and the results look pretty good.

a word to the wise if you order a set of these. the directions stated to test the halos prior to installing which I did, however I tested them individually. make sure you test them all lit up TOGETHER as to avoid the ordeal I went through. anyway, hopefully my experience can help someone else.

oh by the way, the first go round I baked and split the housings as per the instructions. the second time I just used a dremel and would definitely recommend using the dremel. much easier and quicker.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
They look good, glad AAC was able to make the situation right.

Reps to you for the headache, good job on the mod though! :rep:

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
58,984 Posts
wife got me some halos from aac for Christmas. installed them and one of them ended up having a blue shade to it. for any of you that have done that mod you know what kind of hell that is to split the housings. so I emailed aac and sent them a picture. they offered a replacement set and a nominal gift certificate for my trouble. anyway not real happy but ended up replacing them yesterday and the results look pretty good.

a word to the wise if you order a set of these. the directions stated to test the halos prior to installing which I did, however I tested them individually. make sure you test them all lit up TOGETHER as to avoid the ordeal I went through. anyway, hopefully my experience can help someone else.

oh by the way, the first go round I baked and split the housings as per the instructions. the second time I just used a dremel and would definitely recommend using the dremel. much easier and quicker.
Looks great, where do you cut with the dremel?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
They look great!! Great job!! :smileup: I ordered a set of SMD Halos for my headlights and foglights. I bench tested it like the instructions say. I did this several times. I painted the inside of the headlight housing with a black paint that has metal flakes in it. Set the halos in the housing and resealed the housing. I let the sealer cure and then went to test them again. One of the headlight rings is bad now, only half of the ring lights up. Sent AAC an email and waiting for them to respond. Sorry for the hi jack.:threadjacked:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks great, where do you cut with the dremel?
the abs/black plastic housing has a U channel that the lens fits into. when i baked them the first time, the adhesive didnt really come loose. it was more like i was tearing the plastic away from the lens. i had to do extensive remodeling of the plastic with a heat gun to get them to fit together again. It took the better part of a day to do both housings.

the second time, i just used a dremel with a cutting disc and sliced through the thickest part where the lens and abs meet. it left a thicker surface area that would allow for a stronger bond when i re attached.

i used jb plastiwed for the adhesive. it can be rolled into a rope and be handled without dripping or gooing everywhere. clamped for a couple hours and then trimmed the seams. after seams were trimmed, i sprayed plasti dip on the seams for an added measure of waterproofing.

·
Challenger Lighting Pros!
250 Posts
We suggest using clear epoxy to mount the rings. Use as little as possible because most angel eye rings are very sensitive to heat and too much adhesive can increase the chances of a failure mode due to heat issues.

Nick C.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We suggest using clear epoxy to mount the rings. Use as little as possible because most angel eye rings are very sensitive to heat and too much adhesive can increase the chances of a failure mode due to heat issues.

Nick C.
Nick, i did use clear to mount the rings in the housings. i would also add that when i removed the first set of halos, they were not adhered exceptionally well. i would recommend scraping a small amount of the "chrome" coating away to allow for better adhesion of the epoxy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.