Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m the 2nd owner of my vehicle and I just got an offer from a local Dodge Dealership for $6500 over what I pad for it. AND, I’ve driven it for 2 years and added 11k miles onto it. They must really be desperate for inventory!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
279 Posts
Was it a 'real' offer or something you rec'd in the mail?

·
Premium Member
12,749 Posts
All are true statements but bear in mind that you are going to pay 10K over 19/20 prices. If you are going to do this do it now. 2023 is going to be a shit show based on what I went through trying to get a 22 ordered. I have been stuck in "D" now for months. I would make sure you get a solid "OTD" out the door printed offer for both your trade and the "cost protection" on the car you are going to order.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was it a 'real' offer or something you rec'd in the mail?
Verbal. Sent them my VIN and thenTalked to a salesperson on the phone. Might go higher if I take it another dealership and play them against one another.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
hope you get the money they are offering. i know when my dealership offered to buy my car back, they offered a huge amount over what i paid, but then wanted to nickel/dime me for my modifications, which were all cosmetic and easily removable. they then said that because i had removed the shifter knob and installed a barton, that i "might" have damaged any internal mechanisms, same with the oil catch can, etc. so, i left. a week later i get another call from a different salesperson offering the same amount as the first salesperson. so, i told them "do you not talk to each other, told them the whole story. this person said that it wouldn't affect the value of the car, but since i am not a "certified mechanic" the price would reflect that offer. i still have the car, and i drive by to wave at them every chance i get. just be aware of this if you have any "modifications" to your car

·
Registered
35 Posts
hope you get the money they are offering. i know when my dealership offered to buy my car back, they offered a huge amount over what i paid, but then wanted to nickel/dime me for my modifications, which were all cosmetic and easily removable. they then said that because i had removed the shifter knob and installed a barton, that i "might" have damaged any internal mechanisms, same with the oil catch can, etc. so, i left. a week later i get another call from a different salesperson offering the same amount as the first salesperson. so, i told them "do you not talk to each other, told them the whole story. this person said that it wouldn't affect the value of the car, but since i am not a "certified mechanic" the price would reflect that offer. i still have the car, and i drive by to wave at them every chance i get. just be aware of this if you have any "modifications" to your car
Sounds about right. Harley Davison has been ripping people off for decades with that business model. I hear they might be going out of business sooner than later too.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
sad really. when i went to buy my harley years ago, i knew the bike that was at the dealership. my buddy got ripped because of the mods he had done. all cosmetic. but, the dealership had upped the price because of them. same with when i went for my challenger. there was a hellcat there with all these mods on it, and i could have purchased a new hellcat for less than the 2 yr old hellcat with all these mods. with 0 miles and a warranty. just not right
hope the op gets the price that was quoted to him

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
3,101 Posts
At my last car show, there was a man and his wife with a cherry late 60's Corvette there (he trophied). They came over to introduce themselves and to look at my cars but were really going over my Scat with a fine toothed comb. Lots of very pointed questions and a very serious nature.They were not admiring, they were evaluating. As the show was winding down, they came over to me. The guy walks right up to me and asked me if I would take $10K more than I paid for my car (I had told him what I paid earlier). And he was serious! :oops: I politely declined, they thanked me anyway and said they would see me at the next show.
Crazy times indeed!

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
3,101 Posts
Wow, just $7K less than I paid for my custom ordered loaded 21' SPWB Shaker out the door! Unbelievable. And, have to add sales tax and dealer fees!

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m the 2nd owner of my vehicle and I just got an offer from a local Dodge Dealership for $6500 over what I pad for it. AND, I’ve driven it for 2 years and added 11k miles onto it. They must really be desperate for inventory!
If you can afford to buy brand new, whether it's something in stock (good luck) or custom order, take the offer. Don't bother if you're going to replace it with another used car, that huge profit you'll make will be swallowed by the ridiculous used card prices.

Higher prices now also more Taxes and Interest will eat that difference quicker then you think. There is reasons they do this because the sales are dropping for obvious market reasons.
The reason is still the same, low/no stock of new cars to get people to come trade in their old cars. Dealers need used cars to resell, they can't survive on new car sales alone without marking up the new car prices by a lot more, especially considering the shortage of new cars. This is what is inflating used car prices.

The 21 SPWB I custom ordered last year is only $1800 more for a '22 now. If you are in the market for something new and have a decent trade, now is the time to do it. New car prices have not really changed significantly since this started, but it won't be much longer until they do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got mine delivered in Jan. Air bag recalls so had appt with a corp dodge dealer. Right away sales person asked what do you want for it? NADA. He lost interest. But had a new hell cat Ram. Wife so NO Hell Cat or NOS or twin turbo. Upgraded to hell cat Rotors/calibers and did shift kit no problem with Diablo Trinity 2.
Yes after market Shaker, Rims, Stereo, custom interior (not done right), Mopar coil over and Cat back exhaust. So dealer would knock me for that.

Trying to sell 13 Pilot EXL AWD and dealers wanting me to trade in. After market stereo. Dealers nit pick then try to upsell you, it has this and this after market, or next customer cause add ons or after market.
Friend did trade in 18 or 19 Kia for new Kia he wanted. They only get 2 at a time. Yes he got a few K over NADA and it sold right away. He kind of wanted GT version but insurance and Premium gas only. He commutes 80 miles to work.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Every time you trade and buy at a dealer the only one coming out ahead is the dealer. There are exceptions of course but there out to make money on any deal.
If you read my original post, they are offering me considerably more than I paid for it so I guess mine is an exception (as you stated). And, of course they will mark it up to make money on their end. But, in the past, trade ins were always a bad deal for me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts