Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have many Challengers in before, one came with 6 Alpine speakers, another came with 9 Alpines speakers with a higher amplifier, now the one I recently got has the Harman Kardon with the trunk subwoofer.
The reason why I'm posting this, is that I'm very disappointed with the H/K system, the subwoofer bass is way too high and annoying. Had to disconnect the subwoofer cable in the trunk so I can get rid of the ugly bass. However, the other 18 speakers are not really performing well, they are not kicking, not that clear compared to the 9 Alpine speakers.

Anyone has the same experience here? What was your approach? I'm thinking to remove the whole thing and install a brand new upgrade system. I really would love to trade these H/K with the 9 Alpine speakers I used to have in one of my old Challengers.

Thank you and everyone stay safe.. :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yeah I agree, but coming from drag competition equipment the last thing I wanna do is mess with it and start adding boxes

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I have the HK system and I love it. My hearing isn't as good as it used to be but I consider myself an audiophile.
Have you tried removing some of the trunk covering?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love mine. I do not use the surround sound and keep the EQ fairly level. I listen to rock and it sounds great. Also consider your source, I use Spotify through the android app. FM radio is so so. My daughter played some new crap(rap) and it hit really hard all the way around, not my thing but it did thump. To be honest most of the time I keep the volume lower because I have a M6 and like to shift to the engine sound and not the Tach.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
57,291 Posts
I love mine. I do not use the surround sound and keep the EQ fairly level. I listen to rock and it sounds great. Also consider your source, I use Spotify through the android app. FM radio is so so. My daughter played some new crap(rap) and it hit really hard all the way around, not my thing but it did thump. To be honest most of the time I keep the volume lower because I have a M6 and like to shift to the engine sound and not the Tach.
This, adjust the EQ, it took a while for me to find the sweet spot. But I think it sounds really good.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
The source is a great point. I used to use Spotify until I learned how low the quality of their music is. I switch to Amazon HD and that was a big improvement.

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
1,020 Posts
My son designs and installs car audio systems on the side. He set my HK up like this and I love it. The way it came from the factory I did not like it. But he said every setting was off. He told me with this system, one of the keys is to keep the Bass low and just use the volume if you want more. It works great for me. I use high definition audio downloads to a USB stick.

Communication Device Gadget Font Audio equipment Display device
Font Gadget Audio equipment Communication Device Screenshot
Font Gadget Audio equipment Electronic device Display device
Gadget Audio equipment Font Camera accessory Multimedia

·
Registered
538 Posts
My son designs and installs car audio systems on the side. He set my HK up like this and I love it. The way it came from the factory I did not like it. But he said every setting was off. He told me with this system, one of the keys is to keep the Bass low and just use the volume if you want more. It works great for me. I use high definition audio downloads to a USB stick.

View attachment 293386 View attachment 293387 View attachment 293388 View attachment 293389
Your son knows his stuff.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,135 Posts

View attachment 293386 View attachment 293387 View attachment 293388 View attachment 293389
That's how I had the HK set in my Durango. Loved it. Wish my Challenger had it.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T SP WB M6
189 Posts
I used to have many Challengers in before, one came with 6 Alpine speakers, another came with 9 Alpines speakers with a higher amplifier, now the one I recently got has the Harman Kardon with the trunk subwoofer.
The reason why I'm posting this, is that I'm very disappointed with the H/K system, the subwoofer bass is way too high and annoying. Had to disconnect the subwoofer cable in the trunk so I can get rid of the ugly bass. However, the other 18 speakers are not really performing well, they are not kicking, not that clear compared to the 9 Alpine speakers.

Anyone has the same experience here? What was your approach? I'm thinking to remove the whole thing and install a brand new upgrade system. I really would love to trade these H/K with the 9 Alpine speakers I used to have in one of my old Challengers.

Thank you and everyone stay safe.. :)
No experience in the Challenger, mine has the Alpine. But in my RAM the 19 speaker HK is pretty damn good. Maybe the size of the cabin?

·
Registered
308 Posts
There are times I want the windows down with Sport Mode on so I can listen to the exhaust note.
There are times I want the windows down with Sport Mode on and the stereo cranked up so I can hear the music over the exhaust.
There are times I want the windows up and cruising the highway in Street Mode, listening to the finer details of a piece of music.

The H/K is a great system that allows me to have all those options. Glad I opted for it. I think it is designed well for the car and I do not think an aftermarket system would be nearly as refined for this specific application.

·
Registered
195 Posts
im part of the minority then as im not all that impressed with the hk system, if it were a 1000 id find it acceptable but at 2k over base i find it lacking in many areas.....and calling 3 way speakers 3 speakers is on the edge of fraud if you ask me..
Dodge if you are listening step up your game in the audio dept, the hk system has room for much improvement.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
A 3 way speaker is 3 separate speakers combined into 1.

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack Widebody Shaker (TorRed)
56 Posts
Speed Adjust Volume and Surround need to be off to start. Plug the subs back in, and try adjusting the bass EQ a couple settings below flat, as well as the Mid and Treb. Mid and Treb will come more "alive" as the volume is raised.
The HK system really needs wider band EQ, instead of just three frequencies, that's what the problem is. You can get it to sound "acceptable" though, but for the money, there should have been more adjustabillity. They assumed most of the people buying these cars are young and are "bass heads".....bad assumption!

·
Registered
56 Posts
correct, but dodge advertises the hk as a 18 speaker system when it is certainly not 18 speakers. I'm surprised they didn't count the dual voice coils of the subwoofers separately the Jackels.
Believe it or not there actually is.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Speed Adjust Volume and Surround need to be off to start. Plug the subs back in, and try adjusting the bass EQ a couple settings below flat, as well as the Mid and Treb. Mid and Treb will come more "alive" as the volume is raised.
The HK system really needs wider band EQ, instead of just three frequencies, that's what the problem is. You can get it to sound "acceptable" though, but for the money, there should have been more adjustabillity. They assumed most of the people buying these cars are young and are "bass heads".....bad assumption!
i agree a 3 band EQ is not cutting it, and call me old school but there is a speaker in each opening, not 3 speakers in a coax...id cut them some slack if it sounded better and went louder but for what it costs and what you get it it only commands the money for the fact it was super easy one stop shopping to check the box to order. id also bet they are not using a rms output number for the power as my kicker 850x4 and a 1000w kicker running 2 10" subwoofers in my excursion will blow the hk out of the water.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree. I also own a Mustang with a killer aftermarket system that BLOWS the HK away.

·
Registered
199 Posts
As an audiophile, I am also disappointed in the HK system. Mids are absolutely missing. No matter how you dial in the EQ and Balance. Missing the punch. It’s my only gripe with all options I chose for my challenger.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm no expert and I like my stock HK system just fine with the bass turned down a bit, but from my experience I've noticed most factory speakers are not very good and many still use the paper cones inside and just updating the speakers could make a huge difference.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts