Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
As an audiophile, I am also disappointed in the HK system. Mids are absolutely missing. No matter how you dial in the EQ and Balance. Missing the punch. It’s my only gripe with all options I chose for my challenger.
this is what i think too, plus if there is anything in the trunk it seems to block the bass from the subwoofer. i think they cheeped out on the placement of the sub. for the music i listen to it just is missing that midrange i like and with the windows down and aftermarket exhaust it could stand to go louder

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have the Surround Sound 18 Speaker Subwoofer GreenEdge Amp Harman Kardon System and im not over impressed with it, but when playing off USB or Bluetooth got dam it sounds awesome. Personally I think the Radio sounds like a$$ and ive been in threads over that here. I think its a reception issue others say static but surely not impressed or happy with the actual Radio Sound. Sirius FM sounds good though. My biggest complaint (other than crappy radio) is I dont think it has enough power and find myself at 3/4 Volume when enjoying some good music

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Sirius broadcasts a higher definition signal than so called HD Radio. Also as I mentioned, no one who considers themself an audiophile listens to Spotify. Their sound quality is awful. Listen to Amazon HD (and UHD) music (cheaper with Prime membership) or Tidal (more expensive and sound quality is same as Amazon HD Music).

Reactions: emichael

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,135 Posts
Sirius broadcasts a higher definition signal than so called HD Radio. Also as I mentioned, no one who considers themself an audiophile listens to Spotify. Their sound quality is awful. Listen to Amazon HD (and UHD) music (cheaper with Prime membership) or Tidal (more expensive and sound quality is same as Amazon HD Music).
Do you have any experience comparing Apple Music to Amazon Music?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Do you have any experience comparing Apple Music to Amazon Music?
I do not. I do comparing Spotify and Amazon HD. I have an iPhone but only use Amazon HD/UHD. I'm sure Apple music compresses their music, not sure how much.
Amazon Music HD tracks are 16-bit audio, with a minimum sample rate of 44.1 kHz (16/44.1 is also referred to as CD-quality), and an average bitrate of 850 kbps. Their Ultra HD tracks have a bit depth of 24 bits, with sample rates ranging from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz, and an average bitrate of 3730 kbps. So with Amazon Music HD at minimum you get CD quality and most of my music has UHD (or better).

I did read Apple Music is HD, and UHD. Not sure how much of each. So it should be good.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I cancelled my Sirius because I have it on my other (Family) Car. I have used my iPhone and the Sirius App to play music in the Challenger and it worked pretty good for me
(i dont remember how the hell i did it but i have done it, i think through apple play ?)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I cancelled my Sirius because I have it on my other (Family) Car. I have used my iPhone and the Sirius App to play music in the Challenger and it worked pretty good for me
(i dont remember how the hell i did it but i have done it, i think through apple play ?)
I assume you are using a Sirius app on your iPhone and streaming in your car via Apple Play. I assume that would also require a subscription to Sirius.

·
Registered
308 Posts
.... a higher definition signal...
I really think that is a forgotten part of the equation. Back when Dire Straits released one of the first all-digital CD's, it was a pretty good bet that the CD in my car was the same as the CD in my buddies car. Thus an apples-to-apples source material comparison.

The convenience of streaming and storing as much music as possible on small USB devices has resulted in a quality drop in the music being played. Furthermore, the technical differences in regard to quality are obscure and difficult to sort out. Just because I digitized Money for Nothing to a MP3 at 320kbps does not mean my original source had sufficient quality to warrant such a bit rate. Unless I test the same high bit-rate source material on each system it is really difficult to conclude one system sounds better/worse than the other.

The same music source used to stream on-demand music to a Bluetooth speaker via a cell phone should not be played on high end audiophile systems - at least not without the expectation for a loss of quality.

Sort of like putting low octane fuel in your SRT. It will still run and will get you home in a pinch, but it just won't be as good. :D

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I really think that is a forgotten part of the equation. Back when Dire Straits released one of the first all-digital CD's, it was a pretty good bet that the CD in my car was the same as the CD in my buddies car. Thus an apples-to-apples source material comparison.

The convenience of streaming and storing as much music as possible on small USB devices has resulted in a quality drop in the music being played. Furthermore, the technical differences in regard to quality are obscure and difficult to sort out. Just because I digitized Money for Nothing to a MP3 at 320kbps does not mean my original source had sufficient quality to warrant such a bit rate. Unless I test the same high bit-rate source material on each system it is really difficult to conclude one system sounds better/worse than the other.

The same music source used to stream on-demand music to a Bluetooth speaker via a cell phone should not be played on high end audiophile systems - at least not without the expectation for a loss of quality.

Sort of like putting low octane fuel in your SRT. It will still run and will get you home in a pinch, but it just won't be as good. :D
UHD streaming services are pretty good quality. Personally I like CD's but their time has come and gone for me. I like the convenance of creating playlists in seconds, using my playlists wherever I like, listining to new releases as soon as they are released, and searching for gems I wasn't aware of.

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
1,033 Posts
I think allot of people who have an issue with the HK system need to check the reality of their expectations. Is it good, yes. Could it be better, of course. But you are not going to get a full on, blow you away as an audiophile stereo system as an option in a mass produced car. Is it pricey, yes. But that is the price you pay for a "check one box" and you got a factory installed decent stereo system.
As I have stated, I am happy with what I got. I enjoy it for what it is. I am not going to nit pick it to death. JMO.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,135 Posts
I assume you are using a Sirius app on your iPhone and streaming in your car via Apple Play. I assume that would also require a subscription to Sirius.
I just cancelled the DEVICE(cars included) subscription for Sirius XM and went with online only. Half the price and more channels. I stream through Bluetooth in all my cars. Sounds great.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
2,266 Posts
The More Bands of EQ the better how ever mids flat or even lower with Bass on 1 or two and High on 1 gives better audio depth Surround is simulated unless the actual recording is actually in 5.1 THX etc., In my 2011 the only thing that has helped the subpar Stereo on a Budget is my 5 year old FM Mp3, AAC, Flac, Bluetooth Player I crank it to vol of about 27 and roll up the Volume on the Factory Stereo, the Bass is on 2 mid Flat, and High on 1 sounds much better. Tried similar test in 2 friends Challengers one with the HK and the other has the Alpine both times it was much crisper Audio and gave it a little more Volume with virtually zero distortion.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Really? Do you get that Amazon radio with Amazon Plus too? I recently signed up with it to get free shipping on some stuff I wanted to buy and started watching the streaming service and it seems better than Netflix. I'll have to check into how you access the radio. I'm assuming there is an app?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Really? Do you get that Amazon radio with Amazon Plus too? I recently signed up with it to get free shipping on some stuff I wanted to buy and started watching the streaming service and it seems better than Netflix. I'll have to check into how you access the radio. I'm assuming there is an app?
Anyone can get Amazon HD but if you are a Amazon Prime member, you get a deep discount.

·
Registered
17 Challenger Hellcat 6M - Destroyer Grey
111 Posts
Would agree that I have problems with the Mids on the HK, it feels in many instances that there's too much bass and treble. I've dialed the bass down and the mids up a bit.

I pretty much only listen to Sirius/XM in the Challenger. I find that some songs sound great on a setting and some songs sound terrible. I have a somewhat eclectic music taste, but I'm not about to change settings in between different genres. If they didn't give a full EQ, than they could've at least gave preset genre settings. Couldn't imagine that would be a difficult thing to implement in the software.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes I have a Sirius subscription in my other car plus streaming plus online Radio. I've refuse to give them my cc all through the years so every 6 months it expires and i get my nasty x wife to call them and argue and then she cancels it and then they ask if there's anything they can do to make you stay and then she gets me another 6 months for some crazy price. Its a PITA but it works every time since there's been a Sirius, LOL .....

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Sirius sounds like crap, it's not really possible for it to really sound good, too lowof a bitrate, etc. Whenever I read someone's posts saying the bass is "too much" on the HK system, it kind of confuses me, as that's the only thing it does very well. Midranges are messed up, and it only sounds pretty decent when it is cranked up (Too loud for me to tolerate for long) with a decent quality file being played. My old car, with a modded SG2 system, was better sounding, with bad bass.

Reactions: FullThrottle64

·
Registered
174 Posts
We have the Alpine in our Jeep, had the Beats in our last scat, and have the HK in our current scat. I agree that at most normal levels, the HK is unusual sounding compared to the others - IMO not really better or worse, but just different in an unusual way.

I'm one of those young at heart older dudes that never really grew up or grew out of my intense love of music as a young'un. At highway speed (never in traffic), I love to have it so loud I can FEEL the music. And I thank God my wife loves it that way too. Anyway, IMO this is where the HK really excels and blows every other OE system I've ever experienced out of the water. When we're cruising at speed, and have it REALLY loud, I totally think it's the cat's meow. The bass is soul shaking, the mids move through us, the highs ring like being at a live concert, and it's just so beautifully crystal bell clear. Whether it's Alice in Chains or Alison Krauss, IMHO it's the best OE I've ever experienced at concert volume.

TL/DR; IMHO the HK is a special animal that for me only fully blooms when it's driven hard like a quality home system.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes I have a Sirius subscription in my other car plus streaming plus online Radio. I've refuse to give them my cc all through the years so every 6 months it expires ....
Currently playing that game with Sirius. I cannot say enough about using credit cards from privacy.com, Even after I canceled Sirius on the Challenger for winter, they kept banging on the closed credit card trying to get a transaction to go through.

Frankly it is worth $5-6/month for me & the amount of driving I do. Unless I had a job where I was in my vehicle a huge amount of time, I just cannot see paying their $29/mo price. It just doesn't have enough value at that price point. Their whole go-to-market strategy is get a credit card number and charge it forever.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Anyone can get Amazon HD but if you are a Amazon Prime member, you get a deep discount.
I think mine is paid for since I'm a Prime member, but I can't figure out how to access the app in the car. I got it to come up on the TV and my phone, but still trying to figure out the Uconnect. Any tips? I usually just try to figure out a new system by using it, but this one seems complicated to me for some reason.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts