Dodge Challenger Forum banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,139 Posts
I think mine is paid for since I'm a Prime member, but I can't figure out how to access the app in the car. I got it to come up on the TV and my phone, but still trying to figure out the Uconnect. Any tips? I usually just try to figure out a new system by using it, but this one seems complicated to me for some reason.
Open the app on your mobile device and stream via Bluetooth. Easiest way to listen. I don't mess with the Android Auto or iPlay on the vehicle display.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I think mine is paid for since I'm a Prime member, but I can't figure out how to access the app in the car. I got it to come up on the TV and my phone, but still trying to figure out the Uconnect. Any tips? I usually just try to figure out a new system by using it, but this one seems complicated to me for some reason.
Amazon Music HD isn't free to anyone. Amazon Music may be. If you have the amazon music app installed on your phone you should be able to connect with either Google Play or Apple CarPlay if you have the 8.4 head unit. The phone must be plugged in to work. Just select the correct app on the head unit. Or if you have one of the other head units just connect through Bluetooth no need to plug in the phone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used to have many Challengers in before, one came with 6 Alpine speakers, another came with 9 Alpines speakers with a higher amplifier, now the one I recently got has the Harman Kardon with the trunk subwoofer.
The reason why I'm posting this, is that I'm very disappointed with the H/K system, the subwoofer bass is way too high and annoying. Had to disconnect the subwoofer cable in the trunk so I can get rid of the ugly bass. However, the other 18 speakers are not really performing well, they are not kicking, not that clear compared to the 9 Alpine speakers.

Anyone has the same experience here? What was your approach? I'm thinking to remove the whole thing and install a brand new upgrade system. I really would love to trade these H/K with the 9 Alpine speakers I used to have in one of my old Challengers.

Thank you and everyone stay safe.. :)
I have. A new 2021 challenger with 9 alpine speakers and a sub woofer with 506 watts, it’s ok not fantastic. The subwoofer does not have much base and the EQ does little not worth $896 retail.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sirius broadcasts a higher definition signal than so called HD Radio.
I'm sorry but this is pure BS, plain and simple.
Sirius is digitally compressed to the level that the artifacts are INCREDIBLY audible. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard - worse than 128kb MP3.

As someone who used to record music for a living, I honestly cannot fathom why anyone would actually pay for Sirius/XM.

And yes, the HK system may be the best OEM option available on the Challenger, it's still pretty bad. That said, it's a whole lot better than the Bose garbage that was on the Carrera S that I traded for it.

·
Registered
Challenger TA 392
30 Posts
I used to have many Challengers in before, one came with 6 Alpine speakers, another came with 9 Alpines speakers with a higher amplifier, now the one I recently got has the Harman Kardon with the trunk subwoofer.
The reason why I'm posting this, is that I'm very disappointed with the H/K system, the subwoofer bass is way too high and annoying. Had to disconnect the subwoofer cable in the trunk so I can get rid of the ugly bass. However, the other 18 speakers are not really performing well, they are not kicking, not that clear compared to the 9 Alpine speakers.

Anyone has the same experience here? What was your approach? I'm thinking to remove the whole thing and install a brand new upgrade system. I really would love to trade these H/K with the 9 Alpine speakers I used to have in one of my old Challengers.

Thank you and everyone stay safe.. :)
I have the 10 Speaker Alpine on my Challenger but I had to add a separate Powered Subwoofer in order to get that extra kick… it sounds really good now.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392 HEMI
14 Posts
Speed Adjust Volume and Surround need to be off to start. Plug the subs back in, and try adjusting the bass EQ a couple settings below flat, as well as the Mid and Treb. Mid and Treb will come more "alive" as the volume is raised.
The HK system really needs wider band EQ, instead of just three frequencies, that's what the problem is. You can get it to sound "acceptable" though, but for the money, there should have been more adjustabillity. They assumed most of the people buying these cars are young and are "bass heads".....bad assumption!
Yeah but the EQ on my Android 12 phone has 10 band EQ that has me fine tune the HK even that much more. I don't know what type of phone any particular person has but no one has discussed this valid point. If you get into your phone settings and find your music audio settings you can have more options and customize more than the car's settings.
I'm also assuming you are using your phone as the main receiver source for your music.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Yeah but the EQ on my Android 12 phone has 10 band EQ that has me fine tune the HK even that much more. I don't know what type of phone any particular person has but no one has discussed this valid point. If you get into your phone settings and find your music audio settings you can have more options and customize more than the car's settings.
I'm also assuming you are using your phone as the main receiver source for your music.
Not much for an iPhone. I have been looking for an EQ to work with my Amazon Music HD. There isn't one. Lots for an Android.

Reactions: EddieSXTPlus

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I'm sorry but this is pure BS, plain and simple.
Sirius is digitally compressed to the level that the artifacts are INCREDIBLY audible. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard - worse than 128kb MP3.

As someone who used to record music for a living, I honestly cannot fathom why anyone would actually pay for Sirius/XM.

And yes, the HK system may be the best OEM option available on the Challenger, it's still pretty bad. That said, it's a whole lot better than the Bose garbage that was on the Carrera S that I traded for it.
I am referring to Sirius from the radio not a streaming phone app. But you could be right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The convenience of streaming and storing as much music as possible on small USB devices has resulted in a quality drop in the music being played.
USB's are storage monsters now days.

Using a noncompressed music file format I transferred all of my favorite cd's onto one 64 Gig thumb drive ($15.00-20.00 each at Walmart) , something like 1,350 songs and they would almost have fit on a 32 gig drive. I copied the thumb drive for back up and for my other vehicle. I also continually refine what is on the drive, removing some songs I have tired of and adding new as I find new.

The thumb drive and cd quality file format is the berries. I always have everything I could want to hear with me, it sounds 1,000 times better than mp3, I can take advantage of the cars ability to play random - by artist - or sequential & etc , and the car displays song information while playing. For some reason only my pickup (17 Ford f150) displays album cover art while the songs are playing, not necessary but kind of cool.

Also installed new speakers + sound deadening material + amp + digital interface between oem head unit and amp. About $1250 invested if you do all of the labor yourself. Sounds great but does not reach the very bottom of the music, which I'm ok with in a car, have never heard crisp-tight-realistic bass in an auto, getting bass right even in a home is tough.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
USB's are storage monsters now days.

Using a noncompressed music file format I transferred all of my favorite cd's onto one 64 Gig thumb drive ($15.00-20.00 each at Walmart) , something like 1,350 songs and they would almost have fit on a 32 gig drive. I copied the thumb drive for back up and for my other vehicle. I also continually refine what is on the drive, removing some songs I have tired of and adding new as I find new.

The thumb drive and cd quality file format is the berries. I always have everything I could want to hear with me, it sounds 1,000 times better than mp3, I can take advantage of the cars ability to play random - by artist - or sequential & etc , and the car displays song information while playing. For some reason only my pickup (17 Ford f150) displays album cover art while the songs are playing, not necessary but kind of cool.

Also installed new speakers + sound deadening material + amp + digital interface between oem head unit and amp. About $1250 invested if you do all of the labor yourself. Sounds great but does not reach the very bottom of the music, which I'm ok with in a car, have never heard crisp-tight-realistic bass in an auto, getting bass right even in a home is tough.
Where do you get your music for your USB drive? CD's? That seems like a not of work. Insert CD, copy files with Windows Media Player to thumb drive, repeat?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Where do you get your music for your USB drive? CD's? That seems like a not of work. Insert CD, copy files with Windows Media Player to thumb drive, repeat?
Looks like a bit of homework paid off.
I use Windows Media Player and rip them to a USB drive. Set WMP to auto rip and auto eject W...A...I...T. It looks like the best rip quality is FLAC which I understand Uconnect 8.4 will read.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Amazon Music HD isn't free to anyone. Amazon Music may be. If you have the amazon music app installed on your phone you should be able to connect with either Google Play or Apple CarPlay if you have the 8.4 head unit. The phone must be plugged in to work. Just select the correct app on the head unit. Or if you have one of the other head units just connect through Bluetooth no need to plug in the phone.
But how do you connect with google play or apple carplay from your phone? I thought you just plugged the phone in and when you go to the apps screen they should be there? But I'm having trouble seeing the apps from my phone on the Uconnect. I've only had a smart phone for about two and half years and it isn't the greatest. I just checked because I was sure I downloaded the amazon music app, but it didn't download all the way because it says there is not enough room on my phone. I'm thinking that may be why it says there was an error with connection a lot on the Uconnect screen. I guess it is about time to upgrade to a better one as this one was only about $100 from Walmart. It is a Galaxy J7 Crown.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
But how do you connect with google play or apple carplay from your phone? I'm having trouble seeing the apps from my phone on the car screen. I've only had a smart phone for about a year and a half and it isn't the greatest. I just checked because I was sure I downloaded the amazon music app, but it didn't download all the way because it says there is not enough room on my phone. I'm thinking that may be why it says there was an error with connection a lot on the Uconnect screen. I guess it is about time to upgrade to a better one as this one was only about $100 from Walmart. It is a Galaxy J7 Crown.
I have connected both Apply Carplay and Googleplay and had lots of inconstant connection with my Android and never with my iPhone. With the iPhone you install nothing. Carplay comes as part of the phone. For Android you must install Googleplay and it must be fully installed. Both require a usb cable to be connected to your car in the correct USB slot then it should popup on your 8.4 screen. You click on the icon and it should open on your UConnect screen.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I do have a cable in my car and usually hook it up. So do you click on the icon on the phone or on the uconnect screen?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I do have a cable in my car and usually hook it up. So do you click on the icon on the phone or on the uconnect screen?
On the car. Note the icon that is added in the lower right of this screen. Touch that.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Mine doesn't show that. Mine says "Android" I believe so I'm assuming its because I have one of their phones and not an iphone?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Mine doesn't show that. Mine says "Android" I believe so I'm assuming its because I have one of their phones and not an iphone?
Yes, so in the lower right yours should show Googleplay if you installed it on your phone, right?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Anyone know how big of a USB drive my 2017 Uconnect 8.4 can handle? It seems FAT32 is limited to 32G and not sure if NTFS is supported? Anyone?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
It should look like this. But don't worry about the order. You can change their order. Push it and tell me what it does.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts