Dodge Challenger Forum banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Where do you get your music for your USB drive? CD's? That seems like a not of work. Insert CD, copy files with Windows Media Player to thumb drive, repeat?
CD's, and I borrowed a friends collection as well, friends are happy to lend if you tell them you will give them a thumb drive when you return their CD's. It is a little bit of work getting started but not much after you figure out the process and get a bit familiar with the software - I used the procedure you describe above except with Apples software instead of windows - basically just stuck a cd in and let it copy & replaced with the next cd the next time I walked past the computer, if you are watching tv and your cd will copy at 2x or 3x playback speed you can sort of swap every time a commercial comes on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anyone know how big of a USB drive my 2017 Uconnect 8.4 can handle? It seems FAT32 is limited to 32G and not sure if NTFS is supported? Anyone?
Don't know, but I think the 32 in FAT32 implies 32 bit words instead of 32 gig. My 17 Ford F150 handles the 64 gig so maybe your 17 dodge does as well. 32 Gig would give you better than 1,000 average length songs per thumb drive so the limitation hurts very little if there is one.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Interesting fing.
I took my CD's and transferred 20 or so to a 32g thumb drive I formatted FAT32. I transferred them to the thumb drive using the FLAC format. I read about the different format options and this offers the best quality. To start with I have UConnect 8.4 with the HK 18 speaker (sub-woofer) system. I just went out and popped in my USB and listened to some of the new songs I created. It just didn't sound full like it did with my Amazon HD music. Listened some more and it didn't improve. The car just didn't fill the cab with that amazing sound I got before. It sounded like I just downgraded to a standard system. I switched over to my iPhone running my Amazon HD music and it was day and night. The cabin instantly filled up with amazing highs and booming lows from the sub woofer. Anyone know why this is? Maybe some not liking the HK system needs to consider the source. No way I'm using a thumb drive with it sounding like crap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting fing.
I took my CD's and transferred 20 or so to a 32g thumb drive I formatted FAT32. I transferred them to the thumb drive using the FLAC format. I read about the different format options and this offers the best quality. To start with I have UConnect 8.4 with the HK 19 speaker (sun-woofer) system. I just went out and popped in my USB and listened to some of the new songs I created. It just didn't sound full like it did with my Amazon HD music. Listened some more and it didn't improve. The car just didn't fill the cab with that amazing sound I got before. It sounded like I just downgraded to a standard system. I switched over to my iPhone running my Amazon HD music and it was day and night. The cabin instantly filled up with amazing highs and booming lows from the sub woofer. Anyone know why this is? Maybe some not liking the HK system needs to consider the source. No way I'm using a thumb drive with it sounding like crap.
No idea what happened, if you hadn't done the work yourself I would have guessed that somebody had converted previously compressed files into a non compressed format. I use the same thumb drive in my home system which I have put a good bit of work and cash into (Vandersteen 5A speakers, Rogue Audio tube pre amp & all that stuff), I can not detect any loss compared to CD sound.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Man, people are spoiled now. Go back a few years, decent aftermarket systems were similar to the HK and more money, even back then! Factory systems were mostly awful to acceptable. I do believe there isn't 18 speakers, is there even 1/2 that? With a quality digital feed and EQ tweaking, the sound is great to me. With the original Sirus XM subscription, Run to the Hills sounded like the horses running beat was running me over. I also wouldn't be against the Alpine system if I buy another one, to save a few bucks. Each to their own, turn on a 1980 crackle box and then you really have a sound that will disappoint.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I am convinced the differences we hear in the quality of the HK system is all in the source. My streaming Amazon HD music is f'ing amazing. The cabin fills with beautiful sound. Crispy highs and ground shaking lows. And best of all, the sound comes from everywhere. It's like I can hear every instrument separately. So I decide to save on my subscription and copy some of my CD's to a 32Gig USB stick using the high quality FLAC format. I try it in the car and it sounds like crap. Night and day different from my streaming HD music. I mean, in your face from beautiful to awful. Same system. So, I would assume, this is what is determining how people perceive the quality of music in the HK system. No question in my mind. Night and day.
It's almost the Amazon HD uses an aural exciter.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,139 Posts
I am convinced the differences we hear in the quality of the HK system is all in the source. My streaming Amazon HD music is f'ing amazing. The cabin fills with beautiful sound. Crispy highs and ground shaking lows. And best of all, the sound comes from everywhere. It's like I can hear every instrument separately. So I decide to save on my subscription and copy some of my CD's to a 32Gig USB stick using the high quality FLAC format. I try it in the car and it sounds like crap. Night and day different from my streaming HD music. I mean, in your face from beautiful to awful. Same system. So, I would assume, this is what is determining how people perceive the quality of music in the HK system. No question in my mind. Night and day.
Agree. I noticed a huge difference from listening to SiriusXM through the trial subscription vs. streaming SiriusXM through Bluetooth using the app. The streaming quality was big improvement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So I decide to save on my subscription and copy some of my CD's to a 32Gig USB stick using the high quality FLAC format. I try it in the car and it sounds like crap. Night and day different from my streaming HD music. I mean, in your face from beautiful to awful. Same system. So, I would assume, this is what is determining how people perceive the quality of music in the HK system. No question in my mind. Night and day.
Sounds like you have something that works well for you! If you ever want to figure out what is wrong with your USB sound you might try uncompressed files (WAV for windows), FLAC is a compressed format which is supposed to decompress without loss but it may be worth trying an alternative to see if it plays better with your head unit. File size for a song of similar length should be about the same as apple lossless. Agree that no stereo will sound good without a good source but that is an always the case thing rather than an HK thing.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Circle

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Sounds like you have something that works well for you! If you ever want to figure out what is wrong with your USB sound you might try uncompressed files (WAV for windows), FLAC is a compressed format which is supposed to decompress without loss but it may be worth trying an alternative to see if it plays better with your head unit. File size for a song of similar length should be about the same as apple lossless. Agree that no stereo will sound good without a good source but that is an always the case thing rather than an HK thing.

View attachment 293972
I read a bit on this before I started and the consensus was go with FLAC for quality. I will test a WAV.
Wait, my first Google hit: There is no difference between FLAC and WAV in terms of audio quality since both are lossless audio formats. Because FLAC files are compressed in contradiction to uncompressed WAV files, they are a better option for storing music. WAV files, on the other hand, are usually better for editing audio.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I read a bit on this before I started and the consensus was go with FLAC for quality. I will test a WAV.
Wait, my first Google hit: There is no difference between FLAC and WAV in terms of audio quality since both are lossless audio formats. Because FLAC files are compressed in contradiction to uncompressed WAV files, they are a better option for storing music. WAV files, on the other hand, are usually better for editing audio.
Google may be right, just wondering what is going on in your system that would make thumb drives sound like they were recorded on MP3. Trying something that didn't require decompression during playback seemed interesting. Wouldn't worry about size, USB's are storage monsters.

Since you have something that already works great for you it may not be worth playing around, I just get curious about these things.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The big issue here is before trashing the HK system, consider your source. EVERYONE who is an audiophile and payed $$ for HK system, should consider streaming Amazon HD or Tidal. I used Spotify in the past and they have lower quality music that I can clearly hear in my Challenger. They admit it as that's their niche.

Reactions: emichael

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,793 Posts
Google may be right, just wondering what is going on in your system that would make thumb drives sound like they were recorded on MP3. Trying something that didn't require decompression during playback seemed interesting. Wouldn't worry about size, USB's are storage monsters.

Since you have something that already works great for you it may not be worth playing around, I just get curious about these things.

The problem is the uconnect won't recognize anything about either 32g or 64g. I much prefer my 2012 Ram with it's HDD and tons of storage,

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The problem is the uconnect won't recognize anything about either 32g or 64g. I much prefer my 2012 Ram with it's HDD and tons of storage,
I used a USB 32gig just fine. Sounded like shit but it worked.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,793 Posts
I used a USB 32gig just fine.

Like I said, I don't remember, I just know if you format it a certain way, it will take read the larger sd card........

Went and looked....I have a 64g in it now and it works just fine......

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Are we talking about a Portable Hard Drive or Thumb Drive? I have 128g thumb that works in all my Uconnect radios. 2017-2019

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,793 Posts
I'm talking about the SD card....and the sd card port

Reactions: TITANIUM

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
It should look like this. But don't worry about the order. You can change their order. Push it and tell me what it does.

It should look like this. But don't worry about the order. You can change their order. Push it and tell me what it does.

I just got it to download all the way on my phone (I had to delete some stuff). I'll have to see if my car loads it yet later today.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I just got it to download all the way on my phone (I had to delete some stuff). I'll have to see if my car loads it yet later today.
Good news. The car already loaded it. That looks normal. Your UConnect is connect with your phone running Android Auto. Just click on one of your music apps and you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Good news. The car already loaded it. That looks normal. Your UConnect is connect with your phone running Android Auto. Just click on one of your music apps and you are good to go.
Psst, those are your pics..........(in a whisper) LOL

61 - 80 of 102 Posts