Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Main thing the previous owner didn't order in my ride was the Harmon-Kardon speaker/bass system option...as he went with the Alpine setup option instead. My question is can a dealer install the Harmon-Kardon package upgrade after the fact?? or simply take it a well known audio install shop???..the Alpine system sounds great but maybe more would be better??..I read about installing power amps and speakers under the rear seats and all but that sounds like intense work and knowledge...gotta be something easier.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
3,134 Posts
Unfortunately Stereo Upgrades to really get a great sound in these will require a super expensive new System.
You also have to know whether your Stereo is a Low RHB or a High RHB based on what's in the car they are not cross compatible.
Speaker upgrades will help a little but if your going to swap out and go amps get a whole new system professionally installed.

I installed the Old Infinities from my Intrepid and made a good improvement but still nothing compared to the old
Delco Bose my Trailblazer, Vette, GNX and T-TYPE had in them for a factory unit, the Infiniti in the Intrepid also kicked.

Crutchfield is good at giving some decent stereos but i'd recommend a good Reputable local Shop who knows
what stereos will work with the Built in Steering Audio and Mic harness.

·
Premium Member
12,749 Posts
Go to Crutchfield and they can get you upgraded components for much less money then what you would pay for an HK system. The most cost effective thing to do is just get the sub upgrade.

Reactions: Thegreekmason

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best thing to do if you aren’t knowledgeable to install yourself is go to a local reputable stereo shop and see what they can do for you. I’m having local shop put in a better system and head unit in mine. Mine is a 2014 so I can change head unit. Going to be about $2000. Don’t waste your money on Harmon Kardon. That’s the system I’m upgrading in my challenger.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have the 18 Speaker Harman Kardon Audio Group w/Sub Set Up, View attachment 273446 it is an amazing system
i have the same system in my 21, not all that impressed...the 18 speakers are a joke they dont count speakers like normal people would so coax speakers count as two speakers. the sub could certanly be added to the alpine system if you feel you are lacking bass but the hk system to me is just ok and certainly not great.

dodge if you are listening step up your game on your upgraded systems, you are charging a premium and giving us a marginal system

·
Registered
4 Posts
I totally agree with icecoldmn. I got the HK and surely wished I had put that extra $1600 towards an aftermarket amp and speakers. I've got a semi loud system that rattles like a garbage can. Hoping to dynomat the trunk soon and then go from there.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Yea, this thread is like arguing red is better than blue.
I have the HK system and it is the best system I have heard in a car. I am kind of an audiofile.
It's hard to believe all the engineers at HK involved in designing this system could be outmatched by bubba in his garage.

• Haha
Reactions: TheOldGuy

·
Registered
387 Posts
I wish they would go back to actually putting radios in cars that were not intergraded into every other system. I long for the days of being able to swap out for another brand and different features.

As for the hk system it’s ok certainly not worth the upgrade pricing. I’d be willing to bet the speakers are cheap and could be upgraded and it gets poor fm reception along with it not going loud enough.

I would like to see the amplifier test sheets for the factory amp. If only someone made a plug and play amp with double the wattage and a upgrade that added a ten band equalizer.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
3,134 Posts
Yep Pioneer Super Tuner and Sony Speakers for Dash the Realistic 3 1/2" Coax 32.00 speaker set.
Could put the Stereo about Less then 200.00 For 35.00 more add a Radio Shack 10 Band EQ / Booster could
crank it easily.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,260 Posts
Yep Pioneer Super Tuner and Sony Speakers for Dash the Realistic 3 1/2" Coax 32.00 speaker set.
Could put the Stereo about Less then 200.00 For 35.00 more add a Radio Shack 10 Band EQ / Booster could
crank it easily.
Had similar setups in many a car.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Nothing wrong with Alpine. Not sure going with HK will improve it at all to warrant the cost. HK was known in their day for stereo recievers mainly for home systems and they were great.
I think Samsung bought HK out. HK is also a big collarborator with JBL.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Nothing wrong with Alpine. Not sure going with HK will improve it at all to warrant the cost. HK was known in their day for stereo recievers mainly for home systems and they were great.
HK seems to now be all associated with JBL, Infinity and AKG which is a Samsung product.
I remember when Kenwood, Nakamichi, blaupunkt, and ESS were all high end.

Reactions: Thegreekmason

·
Registered
495 Posts
I remember when Kenwood, Nakamichi, blaupunkt, and ESS were all high end.
Yep and in fact im looking into getting a new radio in my Ram. Stock radio needs an upgrade and the volume knob dont work that good anymore. Likely going with a Kenwood touchscreen so i can use Android Auto with it. I tend to stick with stock these days as they arent awful and to not attract thieves but hec these radios are so common now im not sure there is benefit for thieves to steal them now and the one i have my eye on is only a $350 unit. Not the high end.
Then again thieves dont care, they busted out my window in my truck to steal a $50 bluetooth speaker that was sitting in the cupholder. Damn Kids!

Pioneer is still around as well. I dont know what ESS is.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Yep and in fact im looking into getting a new radio in my Ram. Stock radio needs an upgrade and the volume knob dont work that good anymore. Likely going with a Kenwood touchscreen so i can use Android Auto with it. I tend to stick with stock these days as they arent awful and to not attract thieves but hec these radios are so common now im not sure there is benefit for thieves to steal them now and the one i have my eye on is only a $350 unit. Not the high end.
Then again thieves dont care, they busted out my window in my truck to steal a $50 bluetooth speaker that was sitting in the cupholder. Damn Kids!

Pioneer is still around as well. I dont know what ESS is.
I put a Kenwood android auto Three years ago in my 2012 challenger. Liked it a lot. Of what I’ve read, Kenwood is one of the best choices currently.

Reactions: Rayzaa
1 - 19 of 19 Posts