Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Has anyone taken their car to AAMCO?

2K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  shooterjgs 
#1 ·
Got quoted 189.99 to do a transmission fluid replacement, along with filter and gasket. Im considering it since its a way better price than the stealership. Any good or bad experiences?

#2 ·
That was about what my local dealer charged me to do my Ram last year. Granted it's a different transmission but you sure think the price would be about the same.

#4 ·
My last experience with AAMCO was in the 70's. Shall I say Never Again.

#7 ·
AAMCO did the pressure flush on my Ram and blew out the pan gasket. So like Dan never again...

#8 ·

#10 · (Edited)
I don't see how they can do it for that price. The fluid change requires a kit with a new pan, filter, & gasket. The transmission pan rail will often leak if re-used. it is designed as a "ONE time on, One time off" proposition, never to be re-installed. I think they are going to re-use the pan and gasket and put in a Chinese filter. Then your REAL problems start because the oil pan and filter are integrated together. They would have to separate the filter from the pan somehow.
Here is an example...
https://www.klmperformance.com/mopar-68225344aa-zf-8-speed-transmission-service-kit.html

Here is one from Mopar parts where you can see how the filter is part of the oil pan.
https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/...taS1zY2F0LXBhY2stc2hha2VyJmU9Ni00bC12OC1nYXM=

-John

#14 ·
Just had mine done about a month ago at a place called "Great State Transmission" but I'm in Texas $85.00 I provided the fluid and filter...

#16 ·
Yea... That's the only thing... They had nothing but good reviews though... I've heard not so good stuff from AAMCO... :(

Reactions: BAD GRANDPA
#17 ·
Oh yea... Another thing... Don't have them do a flush just a drop the pan and drain... Supposively a flush will sometimes force metal shavings into places you don't want and can cause problems...

Reactions: OrangeCrush392
#19 ·
Yea... I read reviews on local shops and asked around to buddy's that had experience with tranny shops... You don't want to mess up your tranny... Good idea asking here first though... But yea ask around...:)

#21 ·
I don't remember exactly... Got my fluids from BND and they come in gallon jugs so its hard to figure how much I had left over... But another thing you can and should do is make a makesift tranny dip stick with a thick zip tiie (the big ones) and before you take it in use it to measure and mark cold and hot trans fluid... So that you have an idea of where it's supposed to be at...

#22 ·
I had a bad experience at AAMCO with the rebuild of a transfer case on my old F350. I believe they are franchised so maybe the one in your area is good. I will not go back to the one in my area.

#23 ·
I opted for the 100% transmission fluid exchange with NO filter replacement, per the techs (personal friend) recommendation. Complete fluid exchange that includes the torque convertor (12 qts. ATF). It was done last year at 35,900 miles and shifts flawlessly (knock on wood). The service also included using a trans flush agent prior to refilling with new ATF.

#26 ·
That's what the dealership wanted to do to my car at 72k miles and then they would give me a 30000 mile warranty on it in case it died, I said no way as I feel that process can leave metal particles in the trans and filter and I don't see how they can remove ALL the cleaner fluid, if I'm wrong please correct me, I just went and bought a dipstick and all the stuff to do a proper fluid and filter change on it myself, wish me luck, that is this weekends project.

Reactions: shooterjgs
#27 ·
Yeah... Don't do a flush... Just drain change the filter and replace what was drained... If you flush you run the chance of metal particals moving around and ruining the trans... I just did mine at a local reputable dealer here... Very happy with there service... Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.