Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lookng to dress up the upper radiator hose. My initial thought was a Stainless Steel cover, until I came across Hose Candy upper radiator kit. It uses shrink tube fittings, similar to Gates PowerGrip bands.
I was wondering if anybody here has used them on their Challenger? Has anyone use the shrink type connectors, and what results do you have?
What is the exact size of the 3.6 upper hose? Looks to be 1.75" OD?
Thanks for your replies in advance.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I came across an incredible deal on Amazon, and went ahead and got a kit. Now I just need some time off to where I can drain the coolant and i nstall.

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
I thought about getting hose candy myself but ran into a friend with an awesome low budget idea that I've used for a year so far. It's a $5.00 seat belt cover.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neat idea. Did you do anything special to the ends, or are they just butted up to the connectors?

·
2,470 Posts
It doesn't fully cover the hose but pulled snug to the top side it stays put and covers the end that's mainly exposed. If it gets dirty you can take it off and wash it and reconnect the velcro to re-seat it on the hose.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again, nice mod.

I couldn't pass up on the deal for the Hose candy though. It was sick cheap. I'm itching to get some time to put them on.

Reactions: RunningWithBeers

·
2,470 Posts
Can't wait to see how it turns out. I've always liked the way hose candy looks in the ads and videos.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll post pics once installed. Probably not for a couple of weeks. I also have rear camber bushings to put in once that comes in. Might make a weekend out of it.

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
I came across an incredible deal on Amazon, and went ahead and got a kit. Now I just need some time off to where I can drain the coolant and i nstall.
I checked Hose Candy. Really cool. I am curious to know which kit you purchased. On their site they have many kits and combinations. I know you were interested in a radiator hose, is that what you got? Did you get a more extensive kit?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up with an upper radiator hose skin kit, and also the Hot Rod Upper hose kit. Both in Orange/black. Both via Amazon, and both WELL under their list price. The Hot Rod kit reset to their "normal" price after I bought the last one.
I will use the Hot rod kit for upper radiator hose and wherever I can, I'll use the smaller skins, and the other as my lower radiator cover. The single hose doesn't look as "vibrant", so it's going below.
I ended up paying ~$75 for BOTH! I could NOT pass that up! Right place at the right time!:D

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Should look good, just saw some pics ,looks like a few hours for the install. good luck and can't wait to see the result.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recently picked up special heater gun tips from Harbour Freight to get the backsides for the shrink bands.
I'll post pics when done for sure.

Reactions: Bee Keeper 16

·
8,582 Posts
I ended up with an upper radiator hose skin kit, and also the Hot Rod Upper hose kit. Both in Orange/black. Both via Amazon, and both WELL under their list price. The Hot Rod kit reset to their "normal" price after I bought the last one.
I will use the Hot rod kit for upper radiator hose and wherever I can, I'll use the smaller skins, and the other as my lower radiator cover. The single hose doesn't look as "vibrant", so it's going below.
I ended up paying ~$75 for BOTH! I could NOT pass that up! Right place at the right time!:D
SCORE!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. So spent a couple days working on putting this in (had to run to O'Reillys for extra Powergrip clamps). Turned out fine. Not perfect, but pretty good. Can't say I'd be happy paying full price, but with the deal I got, I'm happy.

Before:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

After:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

·
8,582 Posts
Looks good. The hoses are not hidden any more. You can defiantly see them. Thanks for the review. I like.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I think it's be a waste getting these in black, especially since several are already covered in black. But a complementary color makes more sense. Granted the kit I got was a hot rod kit meant for an old 350 Chevy with a carb.

Reactions: Bee Keeper 16

·
2,470 Posts
They turned out very nicely awesome job on the hose candy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts