Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im absolutely planning on getting a scat pack widebody at the end of the year. Currently deciding on leasing, vs buying. If I decide to buy Im ordering from the factory. But I heard a story of dealers trying to delay the shipping because the car can only qualify for the offer if its delivered before the offer ends. Anyone had this experience? If so, what would you suggest I do?

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,231 Posts
Im absolutely planning on getting a scat pack widebody at the end of the year. Currently deciding on leasing, vs buying. If I decide to buy Im ordering from the factory. But I heard a story of dealers trying to delay the shipping because the car can only qualify for the offer if its delivered before the offer ends. Anyone had this experience? If so, what would you suggest I do?
Factory incentives don't affect dealer profit.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
30,848 Posts
I don't believe that will be something you have to worry about. If they write up an agreement when you order your Challenger, and it includes any special offer, they will honor that. I ordered my new 2020 Scat in late July with the big power dollars incentive. Saved me almost $5,000. It arrived at the dealer on September 3rd. About 7 weeks. No problem at all. I have ordered all three of my Challengers, and they have honored any special deals we made at the time of the order. It would be a good idea to get it in writing, and then to make them clarify that.
I don't know any dealer that wants to delay shipping a car. The sooner it gets there, the sooner they get their money. Here are both of mine the day I took delivery:

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Transport Land vehicle

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
968 Posts
Back in 2013, we ordered a 2013 Charger R/T. There was a nice rebate for buying a HEMI and a couple of other incentives we could stack.

Our deal was written such that I had a choice of taking the rebates/incentives available at the time I ordered .... OR .... take the rebates/incentives available at the time the car was delivered.

Very above-board dealer. Not always the rock-bottom cheapest, but great service and I've always received a "fair" deal.

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
5,454 Posts
Where exactly did you hear that story? I've never heard that one before and besides, the dealer has no control over the timeline during the delivery process after the order is filled, as your factory order is shipped on a railcar loaded with other vehicles from the factory. It then get's offloaded onto a car carrier to head out to your dealership for final delivery. Short of flattening the transporters tires or derailing the train I see no factual reasoning behind this supposed "story" that you are thrusting upon us. You make this sound as though it's the Guv'ment running the new car business. o_O

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Registered
373 Posts
I went through this angst with my April 2020 order that was not delivered until August 31st. FCA will lock in the incentives on special order vehicles at the time the VIN was assigned. That is very early in the build process, usually just a few days after placing the order. Should a better factory incentive be available at the time of delivery, then a buyer could opt for that instead.

The confusion is GM does it differently. GM only accepts the incentives available at the day of delivery. That leaves room for "Oh, bummer. The incentives expired because the car was delayed in shipping. Guess you have to pay more money now."

I suspect this is due to potential abuse by dealers. "Special order" a fleet of cars while the incentives are in place, the "customers" randomly cancel a bunch of them, and then the dealership is stuck with inventory to sell....at a lower price point than the competition once all the incentives expires. FCA avoids this by tying the incentive to the customer. If a buyer cancels the order, all locked in incentives are forfeit.

The problem is the high transient nature of sales people in this industry. That is where I got the mixed information and confusion during my buying process. My sales person had previously sold different brands and was transposing the information. If you have any questions about this on your deal, you need to get past the sales person and talk to the finance person. They will know the exact details of what you are asking and can give you a definitive answer relevant to your deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.