Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I wanted to know if anyone else who owns a 3.6L SXT has experienced this problem?

I drive my 2013 Challenger Rallye Redline SXT everyday and take it to some of the area car shows during the summer. When I drive it down the road, I get LOTS of staring, jaws dropping & tons of compliments. When I take it to car shows, I get some of the same, but I always get the few that when they realize it's only the 3.6L, I get the question "don't you wish you bought the Hemi?" That or they turn up their noses & walk away! It drives me nuts & frankly irritates the heck out of me! I believe that car shows should be about the appearance & care of the vehicle, not the engine size! If you want to judge engine size...take it to a race track! A Hemi may be their engine of choice, but it's not for everyone & honestly, I didn't get one because I know how heavy my foot is & the trouble I'd be in!

Anyone else dealing with this?

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,754 Posts
You are always going to get people like that. I don't let it bother me. I go to shows to mingle with other car people and see their rides.The Challenger is a great looking car and almost always gets admiring looks.Little do the people know how well the 3.6 runs.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
There are haters out there, Trish, but by and large, we don't care what flavor of Challenger you have. Remember, it's a Challenger, be proud of it. Judging from you album pictures, you have a right to feel proud! Oh, BTW, I had a fairly modded up Magnum SXT and got some of the same treatment, but the good comments far outweighed and made up for the bad comments

Here's a thread I started awhile back to reinforce. http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=88663

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,687 Posts
There's another thread here that someone posted that essentially stated that a true muscle car should have a V8, and that thread caused a lot of heated arguments/comments among the Z forum membership. I was glad to see that a lot of V8 owners here refused to discount Pentastar engined Challengers because, as the OP in this thread alluded to, people have many good reasons for choosing the model of Challenger that they bought.

I bought my R/T Classic after much research because I wanted a Hemi with the highest trim level I could afford. I never planned to race or drag my Challenger, so paying an extra $10k for an SRT for what would have amounted to (for me) bragging rights didn't make the numbers work for me. And I have met a few other owners locally in San Diego who did buy an SRT because they wanted the fastest production model available at their time of purchase, but have never raced their cars or even taken them to the drags. To that end, I also know drivers of Challengers and other vehicles who have modded their cars to be race ready but likewise have never visited a track.

I think people should pay less attention to what's under the hood and more to the owner and his/her pride of ownership. I instantly have respect for any car enthusiast who maintains their vehicle and is a true car guy or gal, regardless of powerplant.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Yep, you're going to get that now and then, no matter what. There's a member on here from Indiana who has one of the coolest, modded up 6 cyl. Challengers you'll ever see and even he gets it once in a while. It's red with a black roof now!
So don't feel bad at all. In fact, if it were mine, I'd probably put a little sign in the engine compartment at the shows that reads: "Yes...it's a 6 cause that's what I wanted!" But it's still a Challenger.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's really nice to know that the thinking of Challenger owners is very different from that of Mustang owners. I use to own a V6 Mustang & other Mustang owners are horrible! That's part of the reason why I decided to trade up to the Challenger last year...I got sick of the attitudes! I do love my Challenger....& I am very proud of it regardless of the engine size. I love the looks I get from people on the street...sometimes the reactions are pretty funny:)

Coolbreeze....My husband had the same idea about putting a decal under the hood that said something about having wanted the V6 & not the Hemi. Sounds like great minds think alike! My idea was something like "Yes...It's a V6. No...I didn't want the Hemi!"

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,687 Posts
It's really nice to know that the thinking of Challenger owners is very different from that of Mustang owners. I use to own a V6 Mustang & other Mustang owners are horrible! That's part of the reason why I decided to trade up to the Challenger last year...I got sick of the attitudes! I do love my Challenger....& I am very proud of it regardless of the engine size. I love the looks I get from people on the street...sometimes the reactions are pretty funny:)

Coolbreeze....My husband had the same idea about putting a decal under the hood that said something about having wanted the V6 & not the Hemi. Sounds like great minds think alike! My idea was something like "Yes...It's a V6. No...I didn't want the Hemi!"
Or Yes, it has a P-Star or Yes, it has a Penta

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks bad8nti's! I'll take all the rep points I can get...LOL! I am still thinking about that decal and I want to be a little more clever with my words, but when I come up with the right thing, I will post it here!

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
Don't you wish you had the... Hemi?
Big-Block
Ram-Air
Magnum
Harley
V-Max, Bla Bla....

It Never ends! But what are THEY driving? If you ask them, it's always a lame excuse like, I'm building a better engine, Need tires, Thought it was going to rain, ad nauseam.

And here's the big one, "You oughta see the car my friend has...." In reality, it's all B.S.

-John

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
By the way I just remembered about another one of our members: STS1 from our area who in late 2010 bought his red V6 Challenger. Later he noticed a little Pentastar on the lower passenger fender and found out that the factory actually put the 3.6 Pentastar in his 2010 maybe because his was one of the last 2010s...who knows? When he called the dealer and told them about it, they told him had they known that, he would have paid a higher price for his Challenger!! Ha ha!!

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,416 Posts
I can say I have seen V6 Challengers win trophies at some of the shows on the Gulf Coast... Those shows also had R/Ts and SRTs in attendance... it was already stated, but at the stricter (judged) shows, cleanliness will trump mods usually...

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
27,977 Posts
Don't ever say "it's ONLY a V6"...it's a V6 with 300HP - respectable in any vehicle.

Here's a pic of a friends car - and a lease too -

It's hard to keep up with him on the way to shows sometimes....

I've rented the V6 and know first hand that it can get out of its own way in a hurry and doesn't stumble doing so.

I know that sometimes it is hard to ignore the haters, but you're going to find a-holes in every crowd. Don't let them into your head.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
I use to have this from time to time, Facebook too. Its funny to watch them dis my car and when you go look at theirs its a 4Dr Civic with primer on it. Then you call them out on it and you get the "its in the shop get =x done to it". Well ok but where are the pictures? You never hear back. Its like the latest Hellcat every Fan boi out there comes out to dis it with something better to make them feel better about their lives. 97% don't live to their own expectations of others, funny really.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I drove a couple SXTs before settling on my R/T, and there's not a thing wrong with them. They're really nice cars! I liked the base model, and liked the handling of the Rallye Redline, and I found there was plenty of power. In fact I was planning to get an SXT but found a killer deal on an R/T with exactly what I wanted.

There are always folks who have to pull themselves up by pulling others down. Even if you own an R/T, there will be those who ask why you didn't get the REAL Hemi, or say it's only a so-so car.

Jerks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
KeysB5Blue...Your friends car is awesome! I love the "Hell no it's not a Hemi" under his hood! Nice!

·
Business
21,330 Posts
I love my V6 Challenger! But there's a lot of people out there that don't. My sister gives me crap about it all the time. She's has had Mustang's most of her life. It does get to you no matter how many times you tell yourself it doesn't matter. I got to the point where I was going to trade mine in. Now I just don't care!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Trophy

I did win a trophy at a recent an area car show last month. It was a nice trophy too for 1995-2014 Chrysler Group - Best in Class. Here's a pic...

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,754 Posts
I did win a trophy at a recent an area car show last month. It was a nice trophy too for 1995-2014 Chrysler Group - Best in Class. Here's a pic...

Nice trophy, way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts