Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Honey Badger don't give a $#|£
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble for the last couple weeks with a P0305 code which I have addressed in every possible way,
1) Replaced coil pack for the quick presumably "easy fix" NO
2) tested signal to injector with light ,strobing when running
3) pulled , cleaned, and swapped injectors...NOPE!
4) Compression test 170psi 2% leak down in 10 min...NOPE
5) Checked plugs and they are not soaked or built up in anyway

Code is not visible in the cars diagnostics but it will not clear on the scanner and is still there even if the car is not started. I finally talked the wife into a $666.59 DiabloSport PCM with my feeling that maybe I had a ground fault that back fed into the PCM or the PCM is on its way out. Seems to run worse and worse. Can not even semi aggressively touch the throttle or ENG LT flashes and the starts really running like crap?
Anyway went to their website to order one whie I had her agreeing with me and they only make 15 and 16 PCMs!!! I will take any wisdom on this subject and any ways to replace existing PCM. New to EFI always been a Carb guy. I get how it works for the most part. I am a technician doing energy optimization, building automation, suoermarket refrigeration and commercial HVAC-R. BRING IT

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,217 Posts
Did you compression test all the cylinders or just the one? Curious what the rest did and if #5 was different in any way.

·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you compression test all the cylinders or just the one? Curious what the rest did and if #5 was different in any way.
No I did not do all of them, due to time restraints. Got a gauge from a buddy Sunday and I travel for work so I squeezed in the nagging bare necessities . Anything over 150 with no leakage was all I wanted to see, in case i had a valve hanging open from a worn cam or toasted lifter. Also fogot to mention that when I have my scanner hooked up on "live data" as I give the car gas my "SA" (spark advance) retards. so lets sat it would say 15 at idle when I would move with very little throttle it would go down to like -8 and has no power at all. like I cannot spin the tire on a gravel road

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,217 Posts
When you get the time I would check them all. Did you use a scanner that can read advanced codes? Most don't, only read the ones that turn on the CEL so there may be some stored (that don't turn on the light) that you're not aware of. Also a tank of bad gas can reek havoc (pull timing like you mention).

·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the car does have its own scanner witch does appear to erase when I clear it with the handheld ,but the code is still there with the hand held and will not clear. Even if the car is not started it still keeps bringing the 0305 misfire . So at any rate the code should be gone at least until I start it. And I just put a fresh tank in Saturday Morning with no change

·
Registered
620 Posts
Did you drain out the fuel and refill with fresh to eliminate contaminated fuel? It's a long shot, but easy to try.

·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the car does have its own scanner witch does appear to erase when I clear it with the handheld ,but the code is still there with the hand held and will not clear. Even if the car is not started it still keeps bringing the 0305 misfire . So at any rate the code should be gone at least until I start it. And I just put a fresh tank in Saturday Morning with no change
also the car appears to be getting worse as time passes and will try to get by a buddies shop and put it on a snap on top of the line scanner if I can get it there. My wife parked it yesterday and only had a 2 mile ride and did not feel good about it so things are def not improving.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,217 Posts
When you say scanner I assume tuner which will not read the advanced codes. I agree the code should clear and turn the light off. Not sure if anything else could set a hard code like that so your PCM could be the culprit.

·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you drain out the fuel and refill with fresh to eliminate contaminated fuel? It's a long shot, but easy to try.
there was less than a gallon. I was concerned about the fuel too but I got it at a super high volume station.

·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you say scanner I assume tuner which will not read the advanced codes. I agree the code should clear and turn the light off. Not sure if anything else could set a hard code like that so your PCM could be the culprit.
Im thinking its the PCM . I want to get a diablo tuned PCM but they do not make a 2011. Does anyone? And NO its not a tuner its a scanner

·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW very nice ride. Super clean

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,217 Posts
Im thinking its the PCM . I want to get a diablo tuned PCM but they do not make a 2011. Does anyone? And NO its not a tuner its a scanner
You'll need to purchase a tuner and you can get a replacement PCM from the dealer or should be able to order one from a parts house. You'll need to have your VIN programmed into it before using it. Diablo offers them for the 2015+ since once you unlock the PCM it can't be restored to stock like the previous years plus it does not come with the tune on it anyway, you have to purchase the tuner & install it yourself.

I would definitely let someone check it to see if there's other issues you can't identify before spending the money for a PCM including your battery & charging system since a small decrease in either can cause big issues.

BTW very nice ride. Super clean
Thanks!

·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You'll need to purchase a tuner and you can get a replacement PCM from the dealer or should be able to order one from a parts house. You'll need to have your VIN programmed into it before using it. Diablo offers them for the 2015+ since once you unlock the PCM it can't be restored to stock like the previous years plus it does not come with the tune on it anyway, you have to purchase the tuner & install it yourself.

I would definitely let someone check it to see if there's other issues you can't identify before spending the money for a PCM including your battery & charging system since a small decrease in either can cause big issues.

Thanks!
. Charging system 14.183VDC They have a pretuned PCM I wanted it $666.59

·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks!
yeah im not sure now looking at their web site. @200 pcm 599 pcm 899 pcmi2etc etc etc. Ill have to order one somewhere else

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,217 Posts
Still have your battery checked. Car could crank fine and it could show correct voltage and still be something wrong with it. Just a small drop can cause all kinds of issues even though I've not heard of one causing a misfire problem.

Hopefully you'll get some more responses later on today.

·
Registered
12,229 Posts
Code P0305 indicates a misfire on cylinder 5.
You changed coil packs (usually I'll just swap the coil pack to a different cylinder and see if the misfire moves with it) and the problem is still there so that rules out the Coil pack.
You said plugs are OK, but did you try a new spark plug in cylinder 5? A plug can look good but the ceramic might be cracked causing it to fail. Plugs should be changed at 30,000 miles.
A bad valve will also cause the misfire...(bent push rod that prevents valve from opening, broken spring that keeps it from closing or just a burned valve that doesn't seat)
Since it not the P0300 (random misfire) code you know there is a problem at cylinder 5.

I see you have a 2011 R/T with auto transmission.

Just another thought..............
Did you have the timing chain replaced under the recall?....or was the chain done prior to you purchasing the car?

·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought the coil pack on the way home so I would not have to go back otu to get one as soon as I got there, And since it has 8 Im sure one will go bad someday. Moving forward I did put new plugs in cylinder 5 also I go the car a few months ago and it was always dealer serviced so Im sure all the recalls were dealt with as they came thru. I think there is a VIN code reader where it can be checcked

·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Code P0305 indicates a misfire on cylinder 5.
You changed coil packs (usually I'll just swap the coil pack to a different cylinder and see if the misfire moves with it) and the problem is still there so that rules out the Coil pack.
You said plugs are OK, but did you try a new spark plug in cylinder 5? A plug can look good but the ceramic might be cracked causing it to fail. Plugs should be changed at 30,000 miles.
A bad valve will also cause the misfire...(bent push rod that prevents valve from opening, broken spring that keeps it from closing or just a burned valve that doesn't seat)
Since it not the P0300 (random misfire) code you know there is a problem at cylinder 5.

I see you have a 2011 R/T with auto transmission.

Just another thought..............
Did you have the timing chain replaced under the recall?....or was the chain done prior to you purchasing the car?
it did need the recall. Just got it done and its not that. I think it is a cam issue, seized roller or something along those lines, Now I have to figure out how to get this done. thanks for you suggestions

·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No I did not do all of them, due to time restraints. Got a gauge from a buddy Sunday and I travel for work so I squeezed in the nagging bare necessities . Anything over 150 with no leakage was all I wanted to see, in case i had a valve hanging open from a worn cam or toasted lifter. Also fogot to mention that when I have my scanner hooked up on "live data" as I give the car gas my "SA" (spark advance) retards. so lets sat it would say 15 at idle when I would move with very little throttle it would go down to like -8 and has no power at all. like I cannot spin the tire on a gravel road
Update. Thinking I may have a collapsed lifter. reading along if the cam is worn or lifter it would not cause the valve to hang open. But a collapsed lifter would cause partial opening resulting in low power causing p0305 to read. Next step.... Remove drivers side head

·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well Timing chain did not fix it so I just dug in and ripped the bitch apart.
Turns out I have abad lifter. Needle bearings failed on the roller. Don't need to look and know the cam is toast so cam lifters in motion

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts