Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m seen some really good pricing on BBK headers. I have used AR before but life changes and so do budgets. Has anyone used BBK headers and what’s your experience with them. All comments welcomed.
TIA

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Whatever brand you go with I highly recommend using the OEM gaskets and locker bolts. Many folks have had issues with the after market gaskets - so i don’t recommend you go that route. do a forum search here and you’ll find lots of thoughts and comments on this topic

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
301 Posts
There's a fellow ForumZ member on here that has the BBK shorty headers on his 5.7 challenger and loves them. I, myself, have the BBK shorty headers and all of the hardware at my house. I was planning on installing them myself when I got home from my current work rotation but that will not be the case now. It has nothing to do with the BBK headers themselves. My 16, 5.7 challenger is at a speed shop right now getting a 93 octane engine and trans tune via HP Tuners along with an 84mm ported tb. The shop is cutting me a deal on labor costs with installing JBA long-tube headers and I'd just be a fool for not taking advantage of it. I don't know which BBK headers you were interested in but if it's the ceramic coated shorties, I have the complete kit, in the box at my house that I'll be putting up for sale.

As for the gaskets, I too, have not heard much in the way of good on aftermarket gaskets except for the Remflex gaskets.

I've heard nothing but positive reviews about these aftermarket gaskets. IMO, these are as good as one can get outside of OEM gaskets.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
On my BBK shortie mod, the factory gaskets leaked in 2 places after 6 months. Got the Remflex. Now 3 years later, the current owner has had zero problems.
-John
Same here the BBK gaskets leaked on the passenger side forcing me to have to replace them and I also went with the Remflex gaskets as posted by CaptScat345.

To The OP:
As far as the BBK ceramic coated shorties I have zero complaints, I did however thermal wrap them as well, they are so much better performance wise than the stock 5.7 pitiful exhaust manifolds are. The shorty headers definitely give more bottom end punch if that is what you need, if you are after mid to top end get the long tubes.

I will say this regarding shorty headers of any brand, if you don't go with high flow cats you may as well leave it stock as you won't notice much difference, that relating to flow is like a crimped water hose. Hand in hand the high flow cats and shorty headers really work good together as long as the rest of the exhaust is as low a restriction as possible.

Warning: Every modification you make affects something else! Ry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same here the BBK gaskets leaked on the passenger side forcing me to have to replace them and I also went with the Remflex gaskets as posted by CaptScat345.

To The OP:
As far as the BBK ceramic coated shorties I have zero complaints, I did however thermal wrap them as well, they are so much better performance wise than the stock 5.7 pitiful exhaust manifolds are. The shorty headers definitely give more bottom end punch if that is what you need, if you are after mid to top end get the long tubes.

I will say this regarding shorty headers of any brand, if you don't go with high flow cats you may as well leave it stock as you won't notice much difference, that relating to flow is like a crimped water hose. Hand in hand the high flow cats and shorty headers really work good together as long as the rest of the exhaust is as low a restriction as possible.

Warning: Every modification you make affects something else! Ry
I really want a street light to street light runner. Shorties are the way to go. These cars make good low end torque and I’m good with that. I had a 2002 C5 that I dumped a lot of money into revved out to 7200RPMs and I’m not about to do that again lol. Thank you for the advice really appreciate it. 🤘🏽

·
Premium Member
12,345 Posts
I have the Magnaflow shorties along with Magnaflow high flow cats. No issues over 5 years of ownership. Not one leak.

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
Here are some pictures of the SOLO system and the headers

Here is a shot of the BBK headers. We jacked up the engine to gain clearance.

Back half of the system. Muffler has a valve inside that opens up at high flow and becomes straight through. Loud as hell when you get on it but quiet around town.

Picture of the tunable "J" pipes at the back.

Hope this helps.
-John

·
Registered
173 Posts
Tune required? No. Recommended? Yes. Doubtful that you will lean out with that setup, but even a stock Challenger will benefit from a tune. So if you’re looking for more power, then get a tune. The headers and high flows will significantly affect the exhaust back pressure and a tune will optimize the improvements.

I also have solo high flow cats and cat back. I do not have O2 sensor extensions and I passed emissions. No codes or problems. The high flows scrub the exhaust flow in excess of the federal requirements. (y)

I did not know there was a valve in the muffler, just that it has a great rumble at partial throttle and it screams at WOT (especially with those high flow cats with integrated resonators)! I can feel the rumble from the resonators underneath my feet.

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
Tune required? No. Recommended? Yes.
Actually.... NO. Because I spoke directly with an SRT engineer. He said the stock injectors are good for another 50 cubic inches of engine displacement. People usually go overboard on this mod and there is no need to. Your engine will not lean out because the PCM will adjust.
-John

·
Registered
173 Posts
You can absolutely not get a tune and be fine. You can also get it tuned and be better. Your choice.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yup, but in my case with my mods, for instance, it was a must. You have a choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts