Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a recent episode of Graveyard Carz, Mark Worman, noted MOPAR expert, stated that it has been shown that the stock exhaust flowed just as well or better than an aftermarket header. So there is no reason to change to header because you will not see an increase in performance. What say you? Agree or disagree.......are headers only needed for the high performance racing or crate engines, not for engines installed in the car from the factory? i.e. 5.7L, 6.1L or 6.4L

·
Registered
465 Posts
What he said was "In recent years tests have shown that the 440 hp exhaust manifolds have been shown to flow just as well as aftermarket headers of the day". Different engines have different exhaust ports, some more restrictive than others. Many manifolds are rather restrictive due to space limitations when fitting engines into certain chassis.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The 5.7 dog leg manifolds suck and you would definitely benefit from getting a set of headers. However, the 6.4 manifolds are a different story. They have been known to flow just as well as an aftermarket shorty header.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
If you have a stock car then get SRT8 headers. They will give you more torque and a little more power from the bottom of the power curve to the top. Long tubes will do nothing for a stock car, you lose some back pressure with them and if you live in a state that requires emissions you will not pass(most). I got a used set of SRT8 headers and mid pipes and installed them on my R/T and love the extra ooof.:smileup:

Reactions: oilslick

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,887 Posts
If you have a stock car then get SRT8 headers. They will give you more torque and a little more power from the bottom of the power curve to the top. Long tubes will do nothing for a stock car, you lose some back pressure with them and if you live in a state that requires emissions you will not pass(most). I got a used set of SRT8 headers and mid pipes and installed them on my R/T and love the extra ooof.:smileup:
:iagree: ^^^^^^^^ What he said!!! :smileup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Manifolds from SRT8

Are the 6.1L and 6.4L manifolds the same? Might be easier to find them from salvage yards or used parts distributors. And either will fit the 5.7L????

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Are the 6.1L and 6.4L manifolds the same? Might be easier to find them from salvage yards or used parts distributors. And either will fit the 5.7L????
yes they are the same.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you go with the SRT manifolds, you have to use the down pipe and cold end for your tranny option. (man or auto)

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,887 Posts
Yes. You'll need SRT mid-pipes to fit the SRT shorties too.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I disagree. I have LTs on my R/T and the difference is noticeable. It gets up the RPM band quicker. I lost a bit of low end torque but gained a lot of HP on the high end. Dyno'd at 372 RWHP up from 340 before the headers. Forget the exact torque numbers but it was around 390. Now, I also have a custom tune from HHP. I just moved to Denver from Hawaii where there was no track, so I have no 1/4 mile times to base it on. But I know for a fact it is much faster than stock.

As for emissions, we'll see. I have hi flow cats and the only reason it would fail is if I pop a code while they test. Technically they can fail me for having different cats but they generally just check to make sure the cats are there.

·
RWHP=463.3 RWTQ=456.1
2,340 Posts
I went with JBA shorties and Solo hi-flow mids because of emissions testing in my state (NY) and the fact this combination won't throw a code. With a custom tune, I see my Rwhp and Torque is just about the same as MightyMak's numbers.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I disagree. I have LTs on my R/T and the difference is noticeable. It gets up the RPM band quicker. I lost a bit of low end torque but gained a lot of HP on the high end. Dyno'd at 372 RWHP up from 340 before the headers. Forget the exact torque numbers but it was around 390. Now, I also have a custom tune from HHP. I just moved to Denver from Hawaii where there was no track, so I have no 1/4 mile times to base it on. But I know for a fact it is much faster than stock.

As for emissions, we'll see. I have hi flow cats and the only reason it would fail is if I pop a code while they test. Technically they can fail me for having different cats but they generally just check to make sure the cats are there.
I agree that you gained the power on top. But I wanted the power and torque on the low end. The long tubes are best suited for use with power adders or big cube engines. But if it worked for you than I happy for you. It all boils down to what mod a person has and what they are trying to accomplish with them.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I will tell you my black car was on the dyno at least 20 different occassions and long tube headers add absolutely nothing, I also had no cats. Every one of my mods were added one at a time and put on the dyno to see what actually made power. Most people will add mutible mods at one time and not know which ones made power or not. The only real advantage was weight loss. When I took the supercharger off I actually loss some TQ with the longtubes but that was to be expected. Every trip to the dyno was followed up by track time which also showed nothing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.