Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been saving up money for a while now and im considering putting headers on my car. does anyone have any suggestions as to which ones I should get?

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I am going to follow this closely. I am on the verge of this mod as my wife asks DAILY "when can we put headers on our car". She seems to think that we can do this ourselves for some reason. Yea right, sometimes I think she thinks we are still driving our 68 Firebird 400 around... LOL

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat, 6 Speed Manual
1,103 Posts
I am going to follow this closely. I am on the verge of this mod as my wife asks DAILY "when can we put headers on our car". She seems to think that we can do this ourselves for some reason. Yea right, sometimes I think she thinks we are still driving our 68 Firebird 400 around... LOL
God bless you sir, mine would think headers means some sort of weird hair cut lol

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
My ex would have thought something waaaay... different!

-John:SHOCKED:
LOL yea my wife is a bit unusual when it comes to cars. She says headers have a "side effect" on women that they don't always take the time to appreciate. I think it has something to do with drone at certain RPMs. But that may only be in the old cars/classics as the cabins in the new cars are a bit more tight shall we say. But I am not going to mention that... :Wow1::gy:

·
"Gin'iro Ryuujin"
2,355 Posts
LOL yea my wife is a bit unusual when it comes to cars. She says headers have a "side effect" on women that they don't always take the time to appreciate. I think it has something to do with drone at certain RPMs. But that may only be in the old cars/classics as the cabins in the new cars are a bit more tight shall we say. But I am not going to mention that... :Wow1::gy:
ROTFLMAO:D:stp:

To the OP long or short tube headers?

·
Registered
72 Posts
well man I just installed jba shorty headers and installed them my self what a pita but when all said and done I love em I like the quiet inside the car when going to work and when I wanna play she will really talk to ya cheaper than long tube and im not looing to do any motor work so it was the best for me .. I have the stock cats and xpipe with magnaflow mufflers where the reso. were and love it at 75 almost no drone at all ....

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Enjoying this thread immensely - probably more than the wives.

Come on MoparMOM, MommaBetty, KeysB5Blue, ChristinaRTClassic! This thread is just begging for your wry commentary!!!!!

·
Registered
4,316 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I guess I don't understand the difference between the two. Anyone able to offer up a quick, simple, easy to understand explanation?
In the previous post there is a link to another thread. On that thread are a couple of really good videos from summit racing that talks about the two.

The summary is - shorties will fit with your factory catted midpipes and wont throw engine codes. Better for low end torque. Probably add 7-15 HP depending on other variables. LTs will require additional pipe changes and O2 sensor changes. Will likely throw engine codes which can be eliminated with tuners - this is important for folks living in states with emissions testing. LTs perform better in the higher RPM ranges but dont really add as much as they could unless you do other engine mods.
There are some on the forum who have dyno'd their cars and shown little to zero HP gains with LTs from a stock config. Expect 20-25 HP on avg with some engine mods but less low end torque than shorties.

So if you are winding it up all the time and planning on more engine mods - LTs are a good choice. If you drive in the lower ranges, shorties are better.

HemiOrangeRT - hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Awesome!

Shorties it is for me! Sounds like the best all around solution. This WILL be the next big mod to take place! Wife is very happy right now. LOL

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
HEADERS!!! I'm all for them!!! Long or short!!!:smileup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts