Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That's what is claimed in this article from Torque news using data they got from a Motor Trend article. http://www.torquenews.com/106/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-underrated-707hp

Here's an excerpt from the article see the link above for the complete article.

The folks from Motor Trend recently took the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat to the dyno at the K&N Engineering shop and they found that the official figures 707 horsepower and 650lb-ft of torque are underrated – possibly by a whole lot.

In the world of high performance street cars, automakers have been underrating them since the 1960s (if not before that), so it shouldn’t come as any huge surprise that the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat offers more than the 707 horsepower and 650lb-ft of torque that it is stated to have in Chrysler’s marketing literature. However, it does come as a very pleasant surprise that the most powerful American production car of all time is seemingly underrated by such a significant measure – with calculated power figures that move it much closer to the high priced supercars that rank above it on the list of the world’s most powerful production road cars.

The Challenger Hellcat on the Dyno

Motor Trend took the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat with the new heavy duty 8-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission to K&N Engineering’s dyno in Riverside California to see how true the power numbers are for this brawny Mopar muscle car. With stated figures of 707 horsepower and 650lb-ft of torque, the Hellcat Hemi makes the Challenger (and the Charger) the most powerful American production car ever while also ranking 6th when compared to every other current production car in the world so with claims like that – you know that someone would be getting a Hellcat powered Challenger to the dyno in a hurry.

Well, Motor Trend appears to be the first publication to put the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat on the rollers and not only did it prove those numbers – it blew them away.

The Hellcat Challenger put down 635 horsepower and 591lb-ft of torque to the rear wheels with the automatic transmission. The industry norm for calculating engine horsepower at the crankshaft based on drivetrain loss is 15% and if 635 horsepower is “only” 85% of the Hellcat Hemi’s actual power output – the engine is making closer to 747 horsepower. Using that same math for the torque output, 591lb-ft would be about 85% of 695…although considerably higher than the 650lb-ft of torque that Chrysler claims. If those power figures were official, the Challenger SRT Hellcat would pack more horsepower than the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta and the Lamborghini Veneno and in terms of torque – no other production car in the world could rival 695lb-ft.

Reactions: wyo.hemi

·
12,990 Posts
That's real interesting Jon, thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
21,672 Posts
Insane numbers. :smileup:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Very interesting, but I believe the 8 speed is far more efficient than todays "average" auto transmission. I expect the power loss through the trans is around 11-12%, which would be a lot closer to the rated HP.

Either way, I hope it's under-rated by 100 HP!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Interesting. But then again they always show a lower number for insurance purpose. :smileup:

·
Registered
532 Posts
It's good to be KING!!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Better to be underrated than overlooked.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got Hellcat?

She is ordered. I placed the order Sep 9...the first day it opened up. I already framed the special order form hahaha. Now I just gotta wait till she is born. This will be a loooooog wait as it will seem like forever! Of course I will post pics when she arises hahaha

S

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Dynos vary greatly from one to another. Add a bit of altitude, temperature, humidity, etc.... and you can get greatly differing number on the same car on different days, on different dynos, in different locations.
In my experience, take the lowest numbers you get and use them ONLY as a base line for determining the gains from subsequent mods measured (again) only on that dyno. There will still be variation based on weather, but it should be pretty close.

·
Registered
7 Posts
670 HP at the rear wheels!?!? That translates to WELL OVER 707 crank HP.
606 Lb Ft at the rear wheels? Again, well over the rated 650.
0-60 in 3.7 seconds.
173.8 mph in the standing mile.
Check this out......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BZOcxQQC2M&feature=youtu.be

While I'm very aware that a Hellcat will probably never find its way into my garage, videos like this really make me appreciate the work that went into this car. Living in Montana means cars like the Challenger are only good for 6-8 months out of the year, and I have to have a truck, so a $60,000 plus toy is hard to justify. If anything, the only SRT vehicle,I could ever justify is the Jeep Grand Cherokee, and that's hard to justify at $70,000. All that being said, I will always appreciate and dream every time I see a car like this out on the road. What a beautiful beast!

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
While I'm very aware that a Hellcat will probably never find its way into my garage, videos like this really make me appreciate the work that went into this car. Living in Montana means cars like the Challenger are only good for 6-8 months out of the year, and I have to have a truck, so a $60,000 plus toy is hard to justify. If anything, the only SRT vehicle,I could ever justify is the Jeep Grand Cherokee, and that's hard to justify at $70,000. All that being said, I will always appreciate and dream every time I see a car like this out on the road. What a beautiful beast!
Upstate New York isn't all that much different regarding weather. My Hellcat is supposed to be delivered (according to my dealer) sometime in November - December. Between work and the weather, that's the worst possible time of the year for me, but what can I do? It can snow anytime from early October through May here. It's a rarity when snow that early/late happens, but it's not that unusual to completely discount the possibility.

I need a truck too. That'll be the next - and last - new vehicle purchase for me. The Caravan I use now will have to serve me well until such time as the Hellcat is paid off. No, it's not a truck, but the cargo capacity is pretty good and I don't have to worry about anything being left in the open exposed to the elements or prying eyes.

I think we all understand that while many want this car, some just can't/won't be able to get one for any number of reasons. I've been on that side of the debate many times myself. :smileup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts