Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Thats got to be hard on the tires. I picked up a Car and Driver and they did some kind of silly article on what car burned the most fuel. One part of it was to see how fast a Hellcat would burn a full tank of fuel. I forget how many passes it took in the 1/4 mile to burn the full tank but it was a lot. In the article they said the track owners showed up waiting for the Hellcat to blowup, I think after 50 or so passes they got bored and left. I think the Hellcat took the abuse and just smiled.

·
Premium Member
12,626 Posts
I saw Bill do that same thing at the Autocross at MITM....

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,846 Posts
That's a pretty talented right foot.

Reactions: habbie and MOPARMOM

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thats got to be hard on the tires. I picked up a Car and Driver and they did some kind of silly article on what car burned the most fuel. One part of it was to see how fast a Hellcat would burn a full tank of fuel. I forget how many passes it took in the 1/4 mile to burn the full tank but it was a lot. In the article they said the track owners showed up waiting for the Hellcat to blowup, I think after 50 or so passes they got bored and left. I think the Hellcat took the abuse and just smiled.
doing quick math, even at only 5 mpg, it would take over 360 1/4 mile passes to empty a tank, I would be bored after a couple as well. as for abuse on the Hellcats, last year at Chryslers at Carlisle, they were doing Hellcat ride alongs up and back at full tilt over a bout a 150 yard uphill "track". They had 2 cars going pretty much non stop, and one of the event guys told me they were using the same 2 cars at every event, non stop, no maintenance to speak of and they took it all with zero breakdowns and usually without much cooldown time. even in the 95 degree heat all day. I think those cars are relatively over engineered, thank goodness, knowing the kind of life they could lead.

·
Have a HEMI DAY ...
1,307 Posts
Thats the wife, off to the 15 minutes K mart specials..... Go honey go... lol

Yesterday I was mergining on to a main road I went to half throttle for a few seconds and the car fishtailed 3 times, left then right then left, and chirpped the tires between 3rd to 4 and 4 to 5 and 5 to 6 in the fishtails. So Hellcats definitely got power, there no question about that. So there is truth to that video.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
doing quick math, even at only 5 mpg, it would take over 360 1/4 mile passes to empty a tank,.
Actually foot to the floor, it would get less than 1 mpg per run. But yeah, at only 1/4 mile per pass, it's going to take forever to empty the tank.

They really should have just started with an empty tank. Add in 1 or 2 gallons, and then extrapolate based on the amount of gallons in a full tank.

·
Registered
520 Posts
doing quick math, even at only 5 mpg, it would take over 360 1/4 mile passes to empty a tank, I would be bored after a couple as well. as for abuse on the Hellcats, last year at Chryslers at Carlisle, they were doing Hellcat ride alongs up and back at full tilt over a bout a 150 yard uphill "track". They had 2 cars going pretty much non stop, and one of the event guys told me they were using the same 2 cars at every event, non stop, no maintenance to speak of and they took it all with zero breakdowns and usually without much cooldown time. even in the 95 degree heat all day. I think those cars are relatively over engineered, thank goodness, knowing the kind of life they could lead.

Chrysler has done the same at Barrett-Jackson and MOPARS at the Strip in Las Vegas. At Vegas, I asked one of the drivers what their tire usage was and he said they go through a semi-trailer of tires at each event!!! Vegas had 2 Hellcats and 2 Vipers doing the ride along's!.

Jeff

·
Registered
431 Posts
They also did it at the Roadkill event in Kansas City. They had a Viper, a Charger, and two Challengers that ran virtually non stop all day giving thrill rides. I think they said it took one set of tires per day. The somewhat surprising thing to me: when they're done with the cars they turn them back to Chrysler and they're sold as Program Cars. Something to think about.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger Hellcat 8 Speed
1,617 Posts
I saw on Jay Leno's garage when they featured the Hellcat last season. Dodge stated foot to the floor would drink a while tank of gas in 13 minutes.

Reactions: dave28

·
Registered
620 Posts
The number of 1/4 mile passes in the article to empty the Hellcat was 83, if I recall.

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
This is true about Carlisle last year and that is my wife getting one of those "joy rides"...LOL Also very much agree the Hellcat is over engineered...or maybe just very well built the way we are no longer accustomed to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts