Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an aftermarket K&N CAI installed on my V6. Thinking about popping the headlight filler out for the Hellcat CAI mod. Since my K&N CAI doesnt have a box is it worth it to do this just to get more air to the intake? Anything I need to worry about? Bugs or Moisture. Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,693 Posts
It could not hurt other than getting more dirt in the engine compartment. The fact that your K&N is not in a box the only benefit you are getting is a bigger airflow.

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
Without a closed box to fully take advantage of it as has already been said it's just more engine compartment air flow, the biggest concern is a small bird nest, or something similar, so the D.I.P.S. screen is a good deterrent to that happening.

https://dipsprod.weebly.com/dips-screens.html

My wifes SXT is running the AFE Momentum GT with the additional headlight duct, and she also is running the D.I.P.S. screen to keep out the nasties.

The reason both my R/T and her SXT are running the closed box type CAI, is engine bay heat bleed over the top of the air dam, because none of them actually seal to the hood properly allowing hot engine air to get by the air dam and sucked into the intake.

The closed box type CAI stops that and isolates the filter and under those circumstances the front headlight air duct is very beneficial especially above 45mph when the front air pressure on the car starts to increase and the front inlet begins seeing increased airflow.

View media item 27432View media item 27444

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
+1 on the dips screen. I have that on my car, and I've seen dragonflies and butterflies stuck on that a few times. Those would've ended up stuck to my filter if I didn't have the dips

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
+1 on the dips screen. I have that on my car, and I've seen dragonflies and butterflies stuck on that a few times. Those would've ended up stuck to my filter if I didn't have the dips
Same for me!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I use a air filter "pre-filter" cover on mine... Helps with big bugs getting in between the pleats and makes your air filter water resistant... Just a little added insurance..
Works great.... View attachment 155852
K&N web site has them listed for all there applications... There's also generic brands that'll fit.
How did you get it to fit, what other parts did you use to fit it to the stock tubing?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Oh that black divider and padding is part of the kit.. damn. I bet I can find it somewhere. It looks good and I bet it sounds heftier in the bay.

Good job, it looks good

1 - 13 of 13 Posts