Hellcat Lease?

Discussion in 'Prospective Buyers - Question and Answer Forum' started by qwiksilvertrav, Nov 5, 2017.

1. qwiksilvertrav

qwiksilvertrav New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger HC
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Dark Titanium
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Hey all!

So I plan on getting a new SRT this spring (coming from a 03 SRT-4 that I had since new and had built to 500whp...just blew up at the end of this past summer). My original plan was to get a lightly used Hellcat in the mid 40k range.
    But after going to Dodge.com I see you can lease 2018 Hellcats for payments under $600?! Weird because 2017 models have higher lease payments so it leaves me a bit confused. Anyone else out there have a leased Hellcat? To be honest, I didn't even expect Dodge to be leasing these beasts but it seems they do!

I plan on going with the MT over the auto. I just have to have control over the gears...but it seems the MT is a bitch to launch and actually a little slower than the Auto? I'm guessing because it's a bitch to launch? I just hate how auto's behave...never kicks down to the gear you want it to etc.

Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

2. pallen

pallen Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    T/A Plus
    Color?:
    Yellow Jacket
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    You should drive an A8 before you lease an M6. It is not like the auto transmissions before 2015. It always seems to be in the right gear at the right time. I had a 2016 manual R/T and I switched to the A8 in my new car. I would never go back to a manual.

245pacer and cdahl383 like this.
  3. Shanes13

Shanes13 Slower Traffic Keep Right Site Supporter Level 3 Photo Winner! MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Welcome to the site! my inclination would be to say - don't settle... get what you want... but since it is a lease... perhaps if you were not happy, just jump into something else at the end of the lease.. provided the cars will still be in production... I know my Scat Pack is tricky to launch... but I chalk that up to my inability to finesse it - lol...

4. cdahl383

cdahl383 Senior Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2015 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Sublime
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    That's pretty cheap for a hellcat. How much down?

The manuals are harder to launch and quite a bit slower at the track if you care about drag racing at all. The A8's with drag radials are running 10.8-11.0 whereas the M6's are running 11.4-11.6. They're about .5 or so slower at the track. But on the street the stick is a lot more fun and that's where you spend most of your time.

I would suggest you test drive an A8 car, maybe a Scat Pack or something that they'll let you test drive. The A8 is the best automatic trans I've ever driven, especially in Sport mode.

5. qwiksilvertrav

Vehicle?:
    Challenger HC
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Dark Titanium
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I suppose the down payment is an important factor...I plan on putting 10k down. Without any options selected and 10k down the payment is only $510! Or that's what it says on the website. Oddly enough...a 2017 is $100 per month with no options and 10k down. Weird. Maybe their really pushing to get 2018's flying off the lot!

In any case I can afford to add some options like the A8 and some other goodies and keep it below $600 to save space for the other lease add ons (mileage, damage protection etc).

I'll go out and test out the A8 on a regular SRT or something and then see if I can drive the M6 too. Coming from a 500whp SRT-4 and that being impossible to launch...I'd prefer the transmission that's easier to launch with! Although I love the feel of being able to shift! Ugh

Is manual shifting in the A8 pretty decent? I'll be sure to give the A8 a chance...from the sounds of it, it might win me over.

6. MarcPhrey

MarcPhrey Active Member Military Public Safety

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Redline Red
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    if you going to put down $10K why not see how much a hellcat cost instead of leasing, or ever an SRT but I hope it works out for you. the A8 is a great transmission.

7. qwiksilvertrav

Vehicle?:
    Challenger HC
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Dark Titanium
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Payment with 10k down and financing would be almost 900 a month. So attractive things about the lease are

1. I can give it back and get into something brand new again OR buy it out and keep it. At least I have a choice with a lease.
    2 Much lower payments

One con of leasing is I can't really modify the car which I'll be tempted to do. I'd probably want to do a pully/E85 and tune. I imagine that'd net a good HP gain.
    And probably a no go on the SRT. I want the 707 hp of the Hellcat!

MarcPhrey likes this.
  8. nocosp

nocosp New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    I have an A8 Hellcat and everything others are saying is true. It's a great transmission and the car always seems to be in the right gear. With all of the power sometimes it's helpful not to have to concentrate on shifting. With all of that being said the one regret I have with my purchase is not getting a manual. In reality I would like one of each but don't have the time, room, and the wife wouldn't understand having that much money wrapped up in non daily drivers. If your heart is set on a manual don't settle.

9. wvhemis

wvhemis Well-Known Member Site Supporter Level 5 MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Shaker Edition
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    I guess it is up to you but with 10k down I think you could get a pretty good deal on some of the un-sold SRT's that are here and about.

10. Granite Ghost

Granite Ghost Member Public Safety

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SXT Plus
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    The A8 is a great transmission...very accurate choosing appropriate gear. BUT... what nobody has mentioned yet is Manual Mode. You can still choose your own gears and shift points by simply flicking the stick to the left, then using it just like a clutchless manual trans, shifting with a very short throw push or pull. Best of both worlds, without most of the drawbacks of either.

11. Stagecoach1998

Stagecoach1998 New Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger 392
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack Shaker
    Color?:
    Bright White
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I agree with others on the $10k piece of this. How I look at this, you would take the lease payment + the $10k divided by the lease term then add that amount back to the lease payment to see your "true all in lease payment". Also typically carryover models don't have a good residual (value of car after end of lease) because they are a model year old and is going to depreciate quicker than a current model (i.e. 2018). The theory and true upside of a lease is to drive the most expensive car with as little out of pocket as possible. You are only paying for what the manufacturer feels is the overall depreciation over the course of the lease term. I hope this adds a little additional value to what others have said as well.

12. ArchGE

ArchGE Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2015 SRT 392
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Plenty of 2016 Hellcats out there with low milage at around $52K. They're all the same car from then till now. Wth $10K down, have you checked what your payments would be on a $42K loan?

13. Bee Keeper 16

Bee Keeper 16 Knight of the black asphalt. Site Supporter Level 2 Member Relations MOTM Winner! Public Safety

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack Shaker
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    A lease is a fleece. Find another way to get your dream car.

Charles Garcia and ArchGE like this.
  14. Hajo

Hajo Now that was dumb! Site Supporter Level 4 Site Supporter Level 2

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Never lease a car imho. You get no return on the money you spend "renting" a car someone else owns.

You pay them to drive it. Pay instead on something that you will own.

Purchase only, or place your money in something that will appreciate in value. That won't be a car.

Charles Garcia and Bee Keeper 16 like this.
  15. qwiksilvertrav

Vehicle?:
    Challenger HC
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Dark Titanium
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Ok "Dave" lol

Not really for my situation. If you're overly worried about money then maybe. For one example I got it was $510 leased vs 887 financed at 4% interest

1) I love that my payment is $350 cheaper
    2) I'd love to be able to have the option of just getting another new car 3 years from now
    3) It's not the end of the world leasing as I can opt to buy it out at the end of the lease...in process of doing this I gave myself more monthly cash flow for 3 years. The only thing to keep an eye on is the residual value. As long as the sum off all parts = the sum of what it would cost to finance at the start we're all good.
    4) Lets assume I plan on buying out the car at the end of the lease. I just got myself into a Brand new, only owner, non-abused Hellcat and making the same payments I would on a older high mileage hell cat in which could have been abused to all hell. And find those problems later when it's to late (all kinds of crap could rear it's ugly head)! And guess who's stuck with the bill? Plus then the value plummets depending on what it is.
    5) I typically drive 8k - 10k miles per year so mileage is no issue for me
    6) I don't have kids or hazards that will result in wear and tear on the car so damage at the end of the lease shouldn't be an issues. If so I can opt to buy it out anyways.

Overall I'll do more number crunching. But in the end getting into a brand new Hellcat and having some extra monthly cash flow is pretty important to me. I'm sure these cars see a ton of abuse and I'd prefer to be the only owner of it. As I said I can always opt to buy it out or I can just get rid of it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  16. Bee Keeper 16

Bee Keeper 16 Knight of the black asphalt. Site Supporter Level 2 Member Relations MOTM Winner! Public Safety

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack Shaker
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    It sounds like you have convinced yourself that a lease is the best option for you at this time. The facts are out there and prove that a lease is a poor financial decision. If it works for you, go for it. Its not my cup of tea. Good luck with the venture. I hope it works out for you.

Hajo likes this.
  17. Charles Garcia

Charles Garcia New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Bright White
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    For starters not really saving $350 a month because you're partying with 10k of your own money, how you don't realize this is flabbergasting to me. A lease is a Horrible financial decision.
    So $510×24 + 10k=
    $22,240..with nothing other than memories to show for it. Don't let a Car rob you of your future wealth..

Bee Keeper 16 and Hajo like this.
  18. nocosp

nocosp New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    I think there is a place for leases in the right situation. Putting 10k down on a lease though is a terrible decision. If you total the car early in the lease you are going to eat that money that you put down.

Bee Keeper 16 likes this.
  19. Scatdestroyer

Scatdestroyer New Member

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack Shaker
    Color?:
    Destroyer Gray
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I just checked a few places after I ordered my scatpack, you can get a 2016 hellcat for 51k brand new, leftovers.