Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, So ready to change my oil in 16 Hellcat up in Michigan, Finding out that 0-40weight full synthetic is an illusive beast advertised in several supply houses tried five this week. Of the auto parts stores I checked only two carry 0-40 oil at all and both only carry Mobil one for personel reasons I am not a big fan of that particular brand,so went down to my local family owned hot rod shop and ordered some royal purple full synthetic 0-40w to me a much more effective product and it came in six bux a gallon cheaper than Mobil one product. Happy I ended up buying from mom and pop shop again.Take care of your Cats all.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I don't have a HellCat but I do have a 2013 SRT stroked out to 430 CI and has 913 crank HP, 730 RWHP, 702 RWTQ.

I have been using the Pennzoil 0-40W. I get it from Amazon or from E-Bay. You can get a deal from both of them. At the dealer it's $ 10 a quart in NY.

I also use the Mopar Oil Filter.

The parts guy at the Dodge shop went to a seminar where he saw a demonstration of Pennzoil compared to the Mobile 1 and said the Pennzoil showed better results. He also said it was developed for the SRT line from Pennzoil and Mopar engineers.

So I took his advice it. I'm not saying the other companies aren't as good, it's just what he told me.

I also don't wait for 5000 miles which I don't even have yet. I just turned 3000 miles and had 2 oil and filter changes already. Oil is the life blood of an engine so I like to change it often. That's my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
12,626 Posts
Don't have a Hell Cat but our SRT and the 5.7 Challenger get the Pennzoil. My dealer changed from Mobile 1 to Pennzoil when he became a SRT dealer. My service manager who I have known 20 years also went the FCA training and they said Pennzoil is the way to go with our engines.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't have a Hell Cat but our SRT and the 5.7 Challenger get the Pennzoil. My dealer changed from Mobile 1 to Pennzoil when he became a SRT dealer. My service manager who I have known 20 years also went the FCA training and they said Pennzoil is the way to go with our engines.
Yeah if Pennzoil is good enough for FCA then its good enough for me no matter what motor your enjoying my wifes 5.7 only see's pennzoil 32,000 hard miles shes rough on her Hemi's I have been asking each place about Pennzoil no one seems to stock it in my area. Have used Royal purp products for 18 or more years and not had any issues with couple street rods, it was available and @30.00 gallon it was reasonably priced I was able to get my mopar filter from wix

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Yes, I agree, that's what the parts guy told me.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Long time user of Royal Purple. I have a retired Michigan neighbor that ran that solely in all their earth moving equip.
I have been using Royal Purple in my GTX ever sense the engine build and have been very pleased.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I think they are all really good but I have used Pennzoil for about 15 to 20 yrs [ a life time ] never had any engine trouble but I think they got oil down good anymore it all seems to me like

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
I don't have a Hellcat but the Scat Pack calls for the same Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-40. I couldn't find it locally either. Ended up purchasing 7 quarts and an SRT filter on ebay. Transaction went well and it actually came from a CDJ dealer.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I'm running AMSOIL in my Hellcat. It exceeds all of the requirements FCA placed on the engine oil.The Cat takes 6 quarts - total.
I also use NAPA Gold (WIX) filters in the Cat. The filter is every bit as important as the lubricant you use.

Make sure you prime the filter when replacing it and BE SURE the old filter gasket isn't stuck to the block before installing the new one. Yeah, mine was stuck to the block (I caught it before I had a major mess on my hands).
Also be sure to drain the reservoir by the oil cooler when doing the change. It holds about 6 oz of oil that you don't want contaminating the new stuff.
You need to remove both belly /chin pans to do the oil change correctly /completely.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm running AMSOIL in my Hellcat. It exceeds all of the requirements FCA placed on the engine oil.The Cat takes 6 quarts - total.
I also use NAPA Gold (WIX) filters in the Cat. The filter is every bit as important as the lubricant you use.

Make sure you prime the filter when replacing it and BE SURE the old filter gasket isn't stuck to the block before installing the new one. Yeah, mine was stuck to the block (I caught it before I had a major mess on my hands).
Also be sure to drain the reservoir by the oil cooler when doing the change. It holds about 6 oz of oil that you don't want contaminating the new stuff.
You need to remove both belly /chin pans to do the oil change correctly /completely.
What do you mean belly and chin pans? don't you mean plugs?

·
801 RWHP
8,552 Posts
When you are doing the drain on the oil cooler make sure you hold the rest of the line in place. Dont just put a wrench on the plug and start turning. Just put a nice big crescent wrench on the box that the plug goes into and dont let it move.

Auto part Vehicle Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Tire

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I use the Pennzoil 0w40 synthetic that FCA recommends. I can't find it in stores so I buy it on Amazon. I also use either Mopar or K&N filters.
I do exactly the same thing, use that oil and Mopar filter and get the oil from Amazon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts