Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Saturday I was at a cruise-in and had a chance to really look over the new Hellcat's engine compartment. Now, I looked at some before but this time I was looking a little harder and was wondering, how on earth does one change spark plugs without removing a number of components?

On the left side of the motor it would appear that you might have to remove the A/C lines to get underneath to access the plugs, the right side was not much better as it looked like you might have to remove the overflow tank. I was wondering if this was the same set-up for the 2015+ SRT engines as well.

I'm just curious, I have to pull the wheels off my truck to get an easy access to change the plugs on it. I seem to remember many decades ago there was a vehicle or two that had to have the motor dropped slightly to access the plugs. I also understand that the auto industry has been designing engines in a way that eliminates the shade tree mechanic of days gone by as well.

Yeah, maybe dealer would have to do the job at a much higher cost but that comes with owning a sweet 700hp ride like that.

Reactions: dave28 and metcalf

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,503 Posts
I changed the plugs on my Subaru Outback recently. Had to remove the air box, air tube, washer fluid reservoir, and the battery just to access 4 plugs! Today's engine compartments are so squeezed for space, it doesn't come as a surprise that you will have to remove some components in your Hellcat's engine bay to do what used to be a very simple job!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Fortunately I don't expect to run enough miles on the HC to ever have to change the plugs. However if I have to I deal with it I will. Every vehicle I have owned year to year has gotten more difficult to work on. At one time I thought working on my 69 Pontiac was difficult!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts