Dodge Challenger Forum banner

HELLCAT TRANSMISSIO OPTION: AUTO or MANUAL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

I've been drooling over the upcoming Hellcat ever since I first read about it's arrival on the web.

I've poured through articles from independent publications as well as the SRT website, trying to get as much info as possible.

I hope to one day purchase a Hellcat for myself, but I've come to a road block:

WHICH TRANSMISSION OPTION WOULD BE THE BEST TO CHOOSE?
Manual or Automatic? :4-dontknow:

I've tried to compare the "pros" & "cons" of each, but truth is, I'm still undecided.

The Tremec 6-speed manual is cool because, well it's a 6-speed. You can control the shift points and really feel the action of changing gears, using both your left leg and right hand.

The new Tourqueflite ZF 8-speed automatic transmission not only alleviates the issue of leg fatigue in traffic, but can be switched over to manual paddle shifting, if you desire. You get "economy mode" when cruising, as it will shut off 4 of the eight cylinders to help gas consumption. AND it's faster to row through the gears with the automatic.

So, will the auto be too boring and not get my heart pumping like the stick shift car will?
Will I start to walk in a circle because my left leg will be so much more developed than my right? :Wow1:
Will I miss out on the performance of the new 8-speed because it's new technology?

I'd love to hear your opinion and insight. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Well, I believe there's no MDS or VVT on the Hellcat.
The auto will be faster at the strip and get better fuel mileage than the 6-speed stick.
The 6 speed manual has been modified to handle the 707 hp motor, but that results in a heavier clutch with slightly longer throw.

I have a 6-speed in my current '09 SRT. I did that in part to "row my own", which is more a part of the total driving experience to me. I also know most car thieves can't drive a manual.
But as I get older, I tire a bit quicker, and holding a heavier clutch for a long period of time isn't conducive to greater enjoyment of the driving experience.

I wanted to get down the 1320' a bit quicker and save a little fuel overall, so I ordered an 8-speed automatic this time around. I also like the paddle shifters for manual mode if I want to shift manually. For me, the auto offered more benefits than drawbacks.
It's really a matter of personal choice.

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
For me, there is no discussion on this subject its manual all the way.. However, many folks have demonstrated that the auto is faster. There are also folks who cannot shift any longer. My biggest fear is the inexperienced driver that gets a hold of one of these and the damage that they will cause.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Manual for me, I have the 6 spd tremec in my RT and love it, don't care about the auto having faster ET's or the heavy clutch.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,761 Posts
If I were buying one it would be the auto for the exact same reasons as 09 ChallengerDad.

Reactions: 09ChallengerDad

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
This discussion actually made up my mind if I do happen to drop the dough for one of these beasts. It will be a manual, as the slight faster time down the 1/4 is not the end all of why I want this car. And also as it would not be my DD I am not worried about fuel economy with this car. I don't need another set it and forget it. I have an auto dd and an auto work truck. There's no comparing to banging through the gears yourself. My Acura has a bump shifter as well. Its not the same. Not even close. It is all personal preference. If it is your DD then it is a different story. But I don't think a Hellcat is gonna be too many people's DD,

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Mosterzero, interesting question and a good poll as well! Some very good points in support of the 8 speed auto and I see no negatives with it at all. I have always been a "stick" kind of a person so a 707 H.P. Hell Cat Muscle Car would have to be a stick for me and that is just my Personal preference.

Now if only that long lost rich relative would just loan me some money............

·
Premium Member
21,689 Posts
8 speed and this is why.

TorqueFlite + 707hp =Massive Fun for Everyone and More MPGs
While there are folks out there who believe very strongly that every performance car should come with a manual transmission, the recent advances in automatic transmission technology have effectively done away with the downsides once associated with self-shifting gearboxes. While the automatic transmissions still “eat up” a little more power between the engine and the wheels, modern automatics are far less parasitic than past models while also providing lightning quick shifts that are hard for an average person to execute with a traditional manual transmission. The Hellcat Hemi and TorqueFlite 8-speed combination will come with paddle shifters that will give the driver a great deal of shifting control, while providing super fast shifts under hard acceleration. It takes skill to master a quick shift with a manual transmission so getting the most out of something like the SRT Viper takes more effort than it will with the Hellcat Challenger with the 8-speed.

I

For example, the 1-5 gears can be far more aggressive with the new 8-speed than a 6-speed, since the 6-speed automatic would need the 5th gear to lead into a fuel friendly 6-speed. However, with 7th and 8th gears, the 1-5 gears are very aggressive while 6th, 7th and 8th gears are designed to keep the engine RPMs lower and fuel economy figures higher

In addition to making it easier to make use of the 707 horsepower, the new 8-speed automatic transmission will offer Hellcat Challenger owners improved low end acceleration and highway fuel economy. Having 8 speeds to play with allows the engineers the luxury of making the numerically lower gears more aggressive for better low end acceleration.

Reactions: 09ChallengerDad

·
SX=Modern Mopar Experts
3,961 Posts
The 8 speed is a rediculousy good transmission, firm shifts great in auto mode and alor of fun with the paddles. We have one in our 2014 Jeep SRT and have spent a lot of time on the road and track in various other Chrysler models with this trans. The 6 speed is fun if you like the clutch and shift, but for pure performance you will not be able to beat the 8 speed. If. You plan on doing a lot of drag racing there is no question get the 8 speed.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am curious if Tremec has yet to solve the "neutral gear rattle" which is an issue in their 6 speeds. I don't keep my foot in the clutch during stops and that rattle is just annoying.
I am getting the 8 speed auto this go around.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
I have the 6 speed in my R/T and would do the same again with another R/T. In fact, the 6 speed was the first criteria I had when I went looking for a Challenger.

But with the HC, if I was fortunate enough to be able to get one, it would be the 8 speed automatic!

·
Registered
22,670 Posts
I'd go 8 speed, because it's going to be faster in the quarter mile. :smileup:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Have the 6-speed in my current Challenger. Love rowing through the gears, but regret my choice when stuck in traffic. Definitely going to order the 8-speed this time around.

·
Registered
377 Posts
6 speed for me with our '12 R/T Classic. I just love the experience of going through the gears. If we were to move up to the Hellcat however, the 8 speed might be a consideration. I would want to do a test drive first, which is nigh to impossible where we live. I doubt the dealer here will even order one on spec. and to put in the showroom. I'll see what they do...

·
Registered
291 Posts
8 speed and this is why.

TorqueFlite + 707hp =Massive Fun for Everyone and More MPGs
While there are folks out there who believe very strongly that every performance car should come with a manual transmission, the recent advances in automatic transmission technology have effectively done away with the downsides once associated with self-shifting gearboxes. While the automatic transmissions still “eat up” a little more power between the engine and the wheels, modern automatics are far less parasitic than past models while also providing lightning quick shifts that are hard for an average person to execute with a traditional manual transmission. The Hellcat Hemi and TorqueFlite 8-speed combination will come with paddle shifters that will give the driver a great deal of shifting control, while providing super fast shifts under hard acceleration. It takes skill to master a quick shift with a manual transmission so getting the most out of something like the SRT Viper takes more effort than it will with the Hellcat Challenger with the 8-speed.

In addition to making it easier to make use of the 707 horsepower, the new 8-speed automatic transmission will offer Hellcat Challenger owners improved low end acceleration and highway fuel economy. Having 8 speeds to play with allows the engineers the luxury of making the numerically lower gears more aggressive for better low end acceleration.

For example, the 1-5 gears can be far more aggressive with the new 8-speed than a 6-speed, since the 6-speed automatic would need the 5th gear to lead into a fuel friendly 6-speed. However, with 7th and 8th gears, the 1-5 gears are very aggressive while 6th, 7th and 8th gears are designed to keep the engine RPMs lower and fuel economy figures highe
orqueFlite + 707hp =Massive Fun for Everyone and More MPGs

For example, the 1-5 gears can be far more aggressive with the new 8-speed than a 6-speed, since the 6-speed automatic would need the 5th gear to lead into a fuel friendly 6-speed. However, with 7th and 8th gears, the 1-5 gears are very aggressive while 6th, 7th and 8th gears are designed to keep the engine RPMs lower and fuel economy figures higher.
You can say that again. :smileup:

·
Premium Member
4,149 Posts
During all the years of raising kids, the family hauler was an automatic and I became a mindless drone at the wheel. 30 damn years of it.
Does not matter if the automatic is faster. I was tired of being a mindless drone along with the masses. Stick-shift forever in my book!

-John

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I've always loved the control and integration into the vehicle operation that using a manual transmission brings - especially in a muscle car. But working with heavy equipment every day, which is usually "manually shifted" by "double-clutching" gets a bit tiring and monotonous. I wish I had a dollar for every gear shift I've had to make over the last 25 years at work.
I'll take the automatic this time - for a welcomed change.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Wow - tough question...... I love manuals - grew up on them and love the driving experience. I have a 6-speed on my '12 Challenger and would not change it at all. That said, if I had a hellcat it would be really tempting to get the 8-speed just for the track times. Nop doubt 1/4 ETs are going to be way better on autos..... But then I got to thinking. would track time just be 1/4 milers or would I also take on to road courses.......

That last thought did it for me - definitely 6-speed. There is nothing like toe and heeling as you thrash a car around a road course. Cant imagine not doing that....

Btw - great question for a poll post!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow 2:1 Auto to Manual:wow:

Only reason to own a muscle car is to row your own gears. Second, who care if the auto is faster, all the youtube videos I saw the car doesn't hook up anyways. Third, who buys a 70k muscle car and remotely cares what mpg it gets, if it got 10 I'd still buy one. When I order mine it'll be a stick no doubt.

Strength wise I bet the auto is stronger and will outlast the factory Tremec Clutch

1 - 20 of 32 Posts